Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why oh why.......??

Why oh why.......??

When you are looking for 2 screws in that miscellaneous box of a thousand screws you can only find one.
    That is until you go by some and then later looking for something else you find 5 of them, just like you wanted last time.

When you need a small board that only needs to be 14 1/8 inches long the only scrap you have is 13 and 7/8.

If you just need a 1/2 pint of finish you will find you only have 1/4 of a pint.

Do you never have the router bit you want, you have one close but its just not the one you needed and have to go buy one.

No matter how many clamps you have there is this job and you find you just need one more.....

You plan on 2 hours for this little job and it always takes 4.

You are in the middle of a big glue up and that is when the wife calls you for dinner, and you know you better go.

Then the biggie, is every time you go to the lumber yard or big box store and when you get home you find that you forgot the main thing you were going to get.

Is this just because I am getting OLD ???

My method for finding a Phillips screwdriver is to first pick up 5 slotted screwdrivers from various tool boxes. To find a slotted screwdriver, I do the reverse.

No Bill, uncle Murphy doesn't discriminate on the basis of age. His law applies to all of us.

Old?

I'm with you Bill. I live 100 miles from the borgs. woodstores and HF. Each time I get home I've forgotten something. I forgot what else I was going to say.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Is this just because I am getting OLD ???
    Why do you think old people are always walking around with lists? The sign of getting old is when you buy everything you need, you get home, and you can't remember what it was you had intended to do with them.

5 years later, you take a picture and post it on SMC. "I was looking for a couple of screws, and found these things. Anyone know what they are and what you use them for?"

Bill, you are being a "glass half empty" guy on this one, you just didn't notice all those times you had the right screw, scrap big enough, plenty of extra finish etc. You could just ignore my comment since I am trying to work on being more positive... LOML seems to think I need it.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Bill,

It is like placing the new replacement tool for storage next to the old tool you could not find earlier. There are gremlins out there working against us.

This is the excuse I use for having several half done projects lying around. When I go looking for those screws, I will not only not find what I need, I will find the very thing that stalled me out on one of the other projects.

John

I was in the middle of a project and needed a special size forstner bit. A bit I knew I had in my shop but could not find it. I looked for over an hour. So the next day I wast 2 hrs driving to Rockler to get another bit. Get back to my shop, Pull my Shopsmith drill chuck out of it's holder to use. Guess what was mounted in the chuck?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It's easy to find those screws or miscellaneous small tools. Just start working on a different project.
    And now for something completely different....

I just want to know when you were in my shop lookin' over my shoulder.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Bill,

It's a rule of Nature I think..............

Take Friday for example.......

I was disassembling my angle grinder and putting it away. I took the special wrench, loosened and removed the nut that holds the blade on. This nut...round, 1/4" thick, takes a special wrench to fit the 2 holes in it....I dropped it. I was standing by my tablesaw when I dropped it. I only looked for it for 20 minutes....down on my hands and knees.....

Finally I commited to the idea I'd find it someday and not remember it's purpose and throw it away......

I walked behind my new jointer. There it was against the wall. It had to have rolled in an arc to get behind that jointer. It's too big to roll under the jointer.

So .....just accept that you are going to be 1/4 cup short.....1 screw short.....and just decide to throw the project away and be done with it.....you'll find what you need cause Nature ain't gonna let you do what you'd like or what seems reasonable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

First; my shop is very clean. I promised myself that when I finally got it rebuilt I would put things away, and have an actual place for each thing that would always be the same. My problem is, I can have a tool in my hand and be using it. I'll put it down for a minute (maybe get a cup of coffee) and it will have disappeared. The next twenty minutes are spent searching for the tool I just had!

There are two signs that one is growing old. The first is memory loss . . . and I just can't remember what the other one is.

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    First; my shop is very clean. I promised myself that when I finally got it rebuilt I would put things away, and have an actual place for each thing that would always be the same. My problem is, I can have a tool in my hand and be using it. I'll put it down for a minute (maybe get a cup of coffee) and it will have disappeared. The next twenty minutes are spent searching for the tool I just had!

There are two signs that one is growing old. The first is memory loss . . . and I just can't remember what the other one is.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    So .....just accept that you are going to be 1/4 cup short...
    I know a few people like that...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5