Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 1950's style arch top guitar I built

A 1950's style arch top guitar I built

This is a guitar I made with the great maker Stromberg in mind. He made big orchestral guitars until about 1954,when He died,IF I recall correctly. I need to get studied back up on guitars since I'm forgetting history,models,dates,etc..

I rebuilt a Stromberg Master 400 back about 1966. The owner had carelessly put his cigarettes under the strings and let them burn down. The Master 400 had a CELLULOID plate over the peghead about 1/8" thick,made of several black/white laminations. The maker beveled this celluloid at the edges,making it look multi layer bound. When the cigarettes burned down,they BLEW OUT cavities about the size of 1/2 of a dime. He's lucky that the whole peghead didn't blow up like black powder!!

He had had a pickup on the guitar,and now wanted it to look new again. I got it looking like new for him. I hope the slob took care of it,because today it is about a $200,000.00 guitar.

This guitar I made has a peghead shaped like the Master 400,which is large,and wider at the bottom than the top. They might have called it a"snake head" at Gibson. That style shape was introduced in the 30's by Gibson. It reflects the type of naivety found in guitars like Strombergs. They aren't spot on perfect (Strombergs were pretty crude close up!) but they have charm.

The cutaway's shape has to be gotten exactly right,or the whole guitar looks bad. You need that nice FAT look. The cutaway on the Gretsch is a particular shape,too,but different from this.

My peguead IS really bound,though,and has the type(not copies) of rather large pearl inlays of ribbons inlaid into it,with hand engraved letters cut into them,and blacked,the technique Stromberg used.

This guitar is 17" wide,compared to 16" for the Gretsch I posted. The Master 400 was over 18" wide,but big as I am,I find a guitar that large to be uncomfortable to play for long.Not to worry,Stromberg also made guitars in the 17" width,the Master 300.

These small hand makers like Stromberg and D'Angelico were always competing with the giant,Gibson. Everyone was. Their model's sizes,and designations,like "400" mimicked the Gibson "Super 400." In those days,Gibson quality was at a high point. Today,though,the smaller maker's guitars are worth fortunes,being more rare,and Strombergs were VERY loud. They had to cut through brass sections in orchestras without pickups.

The guitar is maple,with a reddish brown sunburst similar to Stromberg's sometimes used color. The Ebony fingerboard is inlaid with plain pearl blocks,which is really an elegant way to ornament a fingerboard.

The pickups are Gibson P-100's. They are actually P-90's with 2 big coils. The single coil P-90 can sound a little wild at times,but it gave Merle Travis that great tone he had. So,I decided to try P-100's,because of the feedback,and wildness of the p-90. They were huge,and I thought they wouldn't sound good because they went down into the body about 1" deep!! I was afraid the magnetic fields would not capture the vibrations of the strings too well,they were just so big. Well,I was pleasantly surprised when I heard them. They sound just great,like a P-90,but with the wildness curbed just enough!! They had that Merle Travis tone!!

I selected a chrome 1950's tailpiece,and vintage 1950's Grover Imperials for this guitar. Those old Grovers used to be VERY hard to get,and $$$$,but they have been reissued,though the re issues are the late 1960's style with sharper edges than these rounded early types. I didn't get the picture in focus,though. Too much neck pain today!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-18-2010 at 10:52 PM.

another nice one. I agree on the size. I can't remember which gibson the heritage golden eagle is a copy of , the L-5 maybe, but with solid wood. The one I had was 17". I liked that size. Unfortunately, by the time I got the guitar, heritage was sucking wind a little, either that or I got one that was left over after a dealer picked through inventory and took the strong figure guitars out. It still sounded great, but it made it harder to sell when I reconciled with the fact that I'd have to start from square one to play any jazz.

A lot of the same guys who built those high quality 50s/60s gibsons were still at gibson when I bought my heritage from them about 8-10 years ago. I have no idea how old they were, but they had to be pushing 80.

I love the tone of those guitars, especially upper register - they have a woody goodness that no solid body guitar can mimic. but they are not compatible with someone who plays blues, and the strings are far from the body on the right hand!
    Last edited by David Weaver; 10-18-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Who USED to play a Gibson 17" ES-5??? Plays a Gibson Lucile now. Blues guy. Guess who?

Essentially the same as this guitar,but with 3 pickups(which get in my way!) No place to finger pick.

I'm waiting!

B.B. King! It must depend upon what kind of blues you are talking about. Who is it who played a Tele? I am not a blues guy,and Can't recall.

I wasn't paying attention. Lucille is a 335 with no f holes, right? Gibson call it a 355 or something?

There are lots of tele blues guys. Muddy Waters and Albert Collins come to mind.

It is like a 335 without F holes. I never liked the double cutaways that became popular. They serve no purpose,as they do not allow you to more easily reach higher notes. The single is just as functional. And,the double cutaways aren't as strong as single cuts in the neck blocks,which had to be made much narrower. Gretsch,following Gibson,went to doubles,too. They aren't worth as much today. Chet stayed with his single cutaway pretty much. His Gibson models are single cutaways,reflecting his desires.

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton both used teles

The double is stronger than the single cut way as it has a solid support down the middle.. My last boss was the VP of Gibson Guitars.. While I lived in NJ I use to fish with Lester Polsfuss in his back yard on Mawah River and talk guitars..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Who is it who played a Tele? I am not a blues guy,and Can't recall.
    Roy Buchanan?

Beautiful guitar, George. Very nicely done.

Not So Much

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton both used teles
    Not that it really matters, but SRV and Eric Clapton were Strat players. Fender has Artist Series Strats out for both of them. I spent my college years in Austin when SRV was just breaking and had the good fortune to see him play a lot at small venues. I had been a mostly acoustic player and he really turned me on to electric blues. Stevie Ray played Tele's a bit in his early career, but you really never saw him without a Strat once he recorded Texas Flood. I don't recall ever seeing EC with a Tele, but believe he mentions in his autobiography that he played them some.

Albert Collins is about the best known Tele blues player. Roy Buchanan was another great Tele player. I love and play Tele's, but to my ears they twang rather than growl. Albert Collins sounds great - he plays with a capo in most keys and picks with his fingers. I think those factors dampen the Tele twang and really contribute to his nice warm tone.

Great looking guitar George!

Regards, Patrick

I'm referring to Gretsch construction,not Gibson in the double cutaway strength issue. Gretsch did not use the same internal construction as Gibson,and insisted in not having too much internal bracing.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-19-2010 at 7:50 AM.

Very nice, I'd never heard of P100s, I guess they were stacked coils with two magnets? They still have the single pole pieces, so maybe it is just one magnet, with two coils wound in opposite directions.

My jazzmaster is going to have two P90s. They do well in solid bodies, and I hope it comes out half as nice as your guitars. It is a fun, labor of love.
    joecrafted

The P 100's have 2 coils with magnets in their middle. You would be better advised to use them,if possible. They really curb the wildness,and are hum bucking,so lighting systems or other electronic stuff doesn't make them hum. P 90's are still great pickups,though. When you play them,you may discover what I mean by "wild". Maybe you'll like it. All depends on style of playing and personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    B.B. King! It must depend upon what kind of blues you are talking about. Who is it who played a Tele? I am not a blues guy,and Can't recall.
    Albert Collins used to play a Tele.

I'm not a guitar guy, but I am a blues guy...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot