Thread: Mobile Base for 18" Bandsaw

Mobile Base for 18" Bandsaw

I bought an 18" Rikon bandsaw today and want to put it an a mobile base. I won't move it often, but will need to do so occasionally. This thing weighs 350+ pounds and although not top heavy, certainly is not the most stable. Does anyone have experience with something they could recommend?

I've got the Jet 18", sitting on the larger Shop Fox base. Works well for the little I move it.

Spence

Consider the Vega machinery mover base for this tool. What I like about it is that there are no wheels on the floor and it only raises the tool height about 3/8"-1/2" or so off the floor. There is also very little of it that extends beyond the tool, itself. The Vega base uses a Johnson bar to lift the front in the same manner as most of the Euro bandsaw "native" mobility kits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got my Grizzly 17" on the "super" heavy duty Shop Fox. It is real stable and works well. I did have to put a piece of plywood under the saw to keep the base from interfering with the lower door.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I've got a truly massive drill press that probably weights around 500-600 Lbs mounted on a ShopFox G7315 from Grizzly. It will support up to 1200. The press is an old monster with farm implement style woven fabric drive belts from the 40's or 50's that came out of an old GM factory. I don't move it much, but occasionally have to pull it away from the wall to fit longer pieces on the table. It still takes a bit of doing to start that much weight moving, but once in motion the SF rolls pretty smoothly with no sign of racking or slop in the adjustable rails.
    Use the fence Luke

I'm with Jim on this, use the Vega machinery mover. Mobile bases like the Vega excel at very heavy objects.

Me too on the Vega

I've got my uni and 16" bandsaw on the Vega base. It cannot move unless you use the "towbar". very stable

Hi, For something different try the Zambus carrymaster casters. They are casters with a foot. You can move your machine around to whatever spot you want and then lower the leveling foot. Levels and stabilizes the machine.
    I have a set of 4 that I'm going to use on the shaper. I know some other guys that have used them for bandsaws, drill presses.
    take care,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Renzetti
    Hi, For something different try the Zambus carrymaster casters. They are casters with a foot. You can move your machine around to whatever spot you want and then lower the leveling foot. Levels and stabilizes the machine.
    I have a set of 4 that I'm going to use on the shaper. I know some other guys that have used them for bandsaws, drill presses.
    take care,
    John
    John,

Those look pretty cool. Do you buy them direct from Zambus, or are they sold somewhere else? If direct, how much do they cost a set?

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay St. Peter