Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bandsaw and drill press for the money.

Best bandsaw and drill press for the money.

I'm going to buy a new bandsaw and drill press. I'm really interested in buying high quality machines for the money.

I've really narrowed the features I want down on the drill press: Multiple speed(or variable speed), spindle travel over 4", chuck size 1/2" or larger. What is your favorite reasonably priced brand and model with these features on it?

I also want a nice bandsaw for the money. I do not want a small benchtop model and I do not want to spend $1,300 to $2,000 dollars for some of the nicest 18 inch bandsaws Taunton reviewed in the 2006 tool guide(I have a copy). What are some of the best bandsaw brands and models for the money that really are high quality and work well for the small home shop?

I'm going to work these machines hard on weekends year round making furniture.

Thanks guy's

Mike

dont have one, but i have heard good things about the grizzly 14" bandsaw... believe its the G0555

Grizzly has the G0555 on for $457.95 shipped. I have one and it is a honey of a bandsaw. Just got done cutting a 12" log that was 3' long into some 1" X 12" X3' walnut lumber. This saw and a good Timberwolf or Woodslicer blade will do you fine and won't bust the bank. Just my 2 cents.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

This falls somewhere in the middle and I don't have one; but the Grizzly 17" G0513 at $857.00 delivered looks pretty attractive to me. It's got good resaw capacity, 2hp motor, tension release lever, etc.

Mike, I am always in pursuit of the best solution. Sometimes that means new and sometimes that means buying used. Sometimes that means really old as in 100 years or so and sometimes that means off the boat.

The best drill press I have come across has to be the floor model of the clausing drill press. As I recall, these are 20 inch drill presses. They are awsome. Here you can buy used or you can buy new. New pricing will turn you white as a sheet so used is the way to go. My buddy got one from Hewlett Packard and its totally sweet, incredible and 30 years old. My drill press is a general which I like but its much lighter duty than the clausing.

Some of the best bandsaws are old iron. From the sounds of it, your after a saw about 15 to 20 inches for the home shop. I do like the general bandsaw and I currently own one of them but its rather small. My favorate 20 inch bandsaw would be the Yates American Y-20 or the Oliver 192. Both are incredible by even today's standards. And if you do your homework and do the restoration work, you can pick one of these up for $500 or so dollars give or take. Clearly, this would not include the Y-20 SnowFlake as that is a unique case. I am talking about much more modern Y-20s with plate steel doors.

It will be interesting to see what other saws come up on this short list. Are you looking for a 15 incher or a 20 incher? That could make a difference.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Grizzly has the G0555 on for $457.95 shipped. I have one and it is a honey of a bandsaw. Just got done cutting a 12" log that was 3' long into some 1" X 12" X3' walnut lumber. This saw and a good Timberwolf or Woodslicer blade will do you fine and won't bust the bank. Just my 2 cents.
    I'm familiar with the Grizzly name only because my favorite custom guitar maker uses alot of Grizzly machines. I have never used any Grizzly machines, but they had some good reviews in the Taunton 2006 tool guide. $457.95 is a very good price for a high quality full sized bandsaw.

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Mike, I am always in pursuit of the best solution. Sometimes that means new and sometimes that means buying used. Sometimes that means really old as in 100 years or so and sometimes that means off the boat.

The best drill press I have come across has to be the floor model of the clausing drill press. As I recall, these are 20 inch drill presses. They are awsome. Here you can buy used or you can buy new. New pricing will turn you white as a sheet so used is the way to go. My buddy got one from Hewlett Packard and its totally sweet, incredible and 30 years old. My drill press is a general which I like but its much lighter duty than the clausing.

Some of the best bandsaws are old iron. From the sounds of it, your after a saw about 15 to 20 inches for the home shop. I do like the general bandsaw and I currently own one of them but its rather small. My favorate 20 inch bandsaw would be the Yates American Y-20 or the Oliver 192. Both are incredible by even today's standards. And if you do your homework and do the restoration work, you can pick one of these up for $500 or so dollars give or take. Clearly, this would not include the Y-20 SnowFlake as that is a unique case. I am talking about much more modern Y-20s with plate steel doors.

It will be interesting to see what other saws come up on this short list. Are you looking for a 15 incher or a 20 incher? That could make a difference.
    Dev Emch

I'm not against buying used at all. However I'm not interested in restoring old machinery that needs work at this stage in my woodworking career. I'm more interested in buying new machines that are excellent in every way including price.

I live in Utah, so I may have a real hard time finding a used Clausing drill press. I have not seen used Grizzly machines here at all. I know people own Grizzly machines here, but they are using them.

Thanks

Mike

Mike...
    You live in Utah... your in luck. Try Machinery Consultants in Salt Lake. Also, there are a number of woodworking machinery companies in salt lake that deal in both used and new. Should have some tips in the yellow pages. I recall about 5 years ago running across a mint condition, late model oliver table saw with every gizmo onboard for $1750. And it was M-I-N-T!

But your points are well taken. You did ask what was the best drill press out there. Without a doubt that is the clausing and its still being made.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Mike, I went through the bandsaw hunt a few weeks ago, and the Grizzly G0555 was strongly recommended by the gang here. After pricing the saw, a riser kit, a mobile base, and shipping for it all, it came out pretty close to $600. I was able to find the Shop Fox cousin to this saw locally (it's made by the same parent company, with a few extra features, but sold through retail outlets instead of mail order), and I was able to take it, a riser kit, and mobile base home for about $650, icluding tax. I did shop around, and I did get higher quotes from other dealers. For me, it was worth the extra $50 to get the cast iron wheels and cabinet-style base, and to avoid dealing with getting freight delivered to my house or to a local freight depot. (The freight depot was about as far as the store where I bought the saw.) Having used the saw for a couple weeks now, all I can saw is "why didn't I buy this saw a long time ago?" It far exceeds my expectations, and I intend to use it as long as I'm alive enough to make sawdust.

Long story short, if you're thinking about the G0555, which would be an excellent choice based on your criteria, you might do well to look into the Shop Fox instead, although if you don't have a dealer nearby, the Griz might be a better deal.

As far as drill presses go, I have a low-end Delta benchtop model that's done everything I've asked it to so far, but I can foresee running into limitations down the road. Others here who've experienced drill presses meeting your specs will likely chime in with advice.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 12-20-2005 at 4:02 AM.

I've got the Delta 14" 1.5 hp with a riser block and closed stand. The Delta has been the 14" band saw that all others have been measured against for years. I like the closed stand version of this saw becasue it has a smaller footprint. I also like the higher hp.

Tool Crib/Amazon currently have the 1 hp 28-206 version with a closed base and riser block promotion going for $500 reduced from its regular price of $600, no free shipping though. It's a good saw for the budget, but you'll have to add on for a mobil base, and any other upgrades like roller guides, tension release lever.

Now if you want to spend a little more, the X5 version of this saw is about $900. It does has some more features than the model above like the tension release, better guides, higher hp, and a free mobil base promotion. However, for about the same money the I think the Powermatic 14" is a better deal. It has the tension release lever, roller guides, a larger work table than the Delta's and the stock fence is a bit nicer too. It also includes a work light, and one feature that no one else has, a built in dust blower/puffer.

Grizzly Service

I replaced my TS with a Grizzly, after receiving it I was most impressed with the quality of the saw. Last year before the price increase at years end I ordered the Grizzly GO555 BS. After getting it set up and making a few cuts I noticed the motor got real hot. I wired mine for 220v. I called CS and they hooked me up with Tec support. After checking a few things for him while on the phone he decided the bearings where bad. He asked me to ship it back to them. They replaced it asap with a new one and repaid my shipping cost. I am very happy with their service and their products that I own.

Roger-Hamilton, OH
    "The good guys wear plaid"

Hi Mike,

I have pondered about posting a reply to your question. For the price range you are considering I believe the Grizzly is an excellent choice. However, much would depend on your intended use of the saw. Resawing large pieces can be very challenging for some saws and that is why you often see folks that look for such a capability go for the Laguna's or Mini Max's.

mike,for under a grand new on the bandsaw i would choose a 14" model with cast iron wheels brand is of no consequence, and install a 2+hp american motor on it. you should be able to stay under a grand and will have enough power to work the saw. as for drill presses under a grand don`t even look for a variable speed model, if you can find one in this price range it will be junk. look at the 14-16" imports that use belts to change speed, on this one the factory motor should do what`s required. just make sure whatever brand you choose has a track record and parts avalible down the road. lots will come with a 5/8 chuck.....02 tod

tod's right, stick with a 14" bandsaw, but I disagree on the fact that brand doesn't matter. You can't compare the Harbor Freight 14" BS with the ones I've previously mentioned. Delta and PM I really think fit in the catagory as you have described. Jet and Griz would be my choices if price were a bigger consideration.

I did forget to comment on drill presses. I pretty much agree with tod on this. The lowest cost varible speed Delta model does have 6" of stroke, but only has a 1/2" chuck. It retails for something north of $800 plus shipping.

This is one area where I would recomend that you take a look at the Craftsman models. They have a 16 speed 17" model for just under $500 that has 4 7/8" of stroke, and it uses a vertical linear depth adjuster instead of round type that is located on the handle shaft.

Ok, I have to edit this reply, after going back and checking on Amazon/Tool Crib again they have the Delta model 17-968 ONE LEFT IN STOCK on sale right now for $549 with free shipping. This is a VS model with 4 7/8" quill travel, 5/8" chuck. This is a really nice drill press for the money. If you were closer, I'd sell you my mine resonable so I could buy this one.
    Last edited by Bill Lewis; 12-20-2005 at 9:07 AM.

Mike...DPs are pretty easy as there are plenty of choices that will fit your specifications.

On the bandsaw, you really need to be more specific about what you want this machine to do for you. If you have heavy duty needs, you need a heavy duty machine. Underpowered bandsaws that can't tension a blade really don't make for a happy woodworker when the material is thick and the day is long... There are some very nice under $1000 machines available with better capacities and abilities than the typical 14" bandsaws out there if you plan on doing any kind of meaningful resawing or heavy cutting of thick material for legs, etc. Bigger is better in a bandsaw for everything except simple scrolling. Heavy and stiff are important so you can tension a blade properly. Etc.

Please note I am NOT saying that the typical 14" machines are bad machines...they are not and offer a lot of value for the money. Just don't buy a machine that cannot do what you need it to do. That's not a good way to "save money" in the long run. The most expensive tools are the ones you need to replace early and often...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...