Thread: Looking for Comments on Grizzly G0513 vs. G0513X Bandsaws

Looking for Comments on Grizzly G0513 vs. G0513X Bandsaws

Well I have narrowed my choice down to either a Grizzly G0513 or G0513X bandsaw. It seems that the G0513X should be worth the extra $100 for the larger table and cast iron wheels. I don't know if the resaw fence adds that much value.

First off, I am just a hobbiest. I am concerned that the BS will be able to handle smaller width blades on a regular basis, but still do some occassional resawing. Also any comments on the blade guides would be greatly appreciated.

It seems to me that the G0513 compares very favorably to a smaller 14" BS with riser which get up there in price.

And finally, thanks to recent threads about the Delta 37-275X 6" jointer, mine shipped today. I would never have been aware of the Amazon offer. Heck, now every evening I find myself checking whats new on Sawmill Creek. Almost every log on turns up something new and interesting.

Jim

I've had the G5013 for about a year. I like it but $100 more for those upgrades is definitely worth it. My only complaint about mine is the flimsy aluminum fence, so if the new 5013X has the cast iron fence, that would be the biggest plus for me.

I've got the G0513 (had for about 2 years) and it is a great saw but the xtreme is a better one. Not only the cast iron wheels but it has better guides, also. For what you want it for, you will be happy with either one. I resaw mostly with mine, but I have been please with the way it handles the smaller blades. Go for it.

Agreed!

I also have the G0513 and it is a great bandsaw for the money. If the extreme was available when I bought mine I would have paid $100 for those upgrades and not thought twice about it. It is a great saw and I have used a 1/4" up to 1" blade on mine with no problems.

Andy

I've had the G0513x since January and I love the saw. It was definitely worth the extra money. The upgrades to the 513x are worth way more than a $100 in my opinion. I think this saw is the best value out there right now and is also a strong performer.

Jeremy

re-sawing quality ?

Jeremy, how does the saw do on re-sawing 12'' thick wood? does it bog down or is it pretty good, I have a smaller delta with a riser block and I was thinking about getting a second saw just for re-sawing but some of the prices on the bigger BS are out of my budget. Also how much time did it take for the set up from the factory, to get it up and running an did it come all intact ?(I been reading lately that some of the products from Grizzly have been coming in damaged)

I have had the G0513 for a few years now. It is a great saw IMO. At the WW show this weekend I was looking hard at the Kreg fence. It is more than $100. I didn't buy it and don't know if the "x" fence is all that, but cast iron wheels and carter style guides would be great. I think you'll be happy either way, but I'd go with the "x" if I was buying now (wasn't around when I bought mine).

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Thanks fellows for your comments

Thanks guys for your imput. My feelings too were that the "X" was worth the extra $100 ------ sooooo I am off to order it now. Thanks again,
    Jim

Hi Richard,

I have not had a problem with the saw bogging down at all. I've only resawn pieces between 8-10" so far and the saw shows no sign of slowing down. As far as damage, there was none, but I picked it up in Muncy instead of having it shipped. I think the damage problems have been mainly with the new jointers. It took me about 3 hrs total to uncrate it and set it up. That includes fine tuning and adjusting for accuracy. The saw is pretty much assembled right out of the box. There are a couple things to install which took about an hour. The majority of time was spent cleaning the cosmoline of the cast iron.

Jeremy