Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I (need) want a new circular saw

I (need) want a new circular saw

As the title implies, I want a new Circular Saw. Sometime ago I did some research with respect to blade left or blade right.

I think PC is the only manfctrer that offers a choice, right or left. My preference is blade left, I think.

Would someone kindly comment on your preference, "blade left" - "blade right", and your reasons why.

Does anyone else offer a choice?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I think DW has a left blader as well as the Skil Mag 77 and the Bosch Hypoid.

I prefer left because the sight line to the blade is perfect for us right handers. [I was actually born left handed and can use either one, but my right hand runs the saw much straighter].

If you plan to ever use a guide rail system like the EZ or FT, you'll want a right blade saw, they don't make the shoes for left blade saws [and it still escapes me why they don't].

For me it's left blade all the way. I own a right blade saw as a backup for when I have to have one for a specific cut when framing decks, but it gathers much dust...

Mack,

I am in the same boat. I am also looking. I read an article some time back and don't remember where about this very subject. I always thought that I would like to have one with the blade on the left side. My thought was that I could see the line better and see where the cut was going. I use a saw for mostly breaking down sheet goods so I am using a guide, so the following really won't matter but if you use it for other things, it might matter to you. The article stated that with a blade on the left side and being right handed, your saw would always be on the waste side and fall off. Just a thought. I am reconsidering my choices now.

Randy
    "Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms"...should be a convience store. NOT a government agency.

Just went through the same thing recently, thinking I wasn't interested in the ez smart. Guess I was wrong... anyone interested in a nearly brand new pc 424mag (left blade?) .

I also thought it would be great to see the cut line, but no... turns out I rarely cut anything freehand, and when I do it's only a rough cut.

I just bought a PC - right blade because I want to get the EZ system in the near future.

Wes

I have a PC 325 Mag Right Blade that I bought.

I bought this for an EZ Rail System and I really like it. I was a big step up from a Craftsman that I had.

Chuck

I purchased a right handed PC Mag about a year ago. I have used it much mroe than I thought I would. I just got the EZ system for a cabinet project, so I will be using it even more.

I'm right handed, and I feel safter with the blade running on my outside. I like the idea of the body of the CS being in between my left hand and the blade (good thing, cuz a lefty wouldn't work with EZ).

The one thing I didn't do, which I now regret, was to buy one with the electric brake. It's a safety thing.

PC makes both right and left, and you really can't beat them in terms of price..... My advice is to check e-bay and look for a factory refurbished model with a full one-year warranty. It won't cost you much, and you'll be very happy.

I own a right handed PC, I can use either one equally well. I just bought this one since it was on sale for $99 at Hartville

Mack,

I have accumulated quiet a collection of circular saws mostly in the last year. They include PC, Bosch, Makita, Craftsman, Festool, Hilti, DeWalt, Skil, Milwaukee, etc. I've been trying to decide which works best with the EZ Smart.

Most of the Manufacturers do make both left and right blade saws. While I can agree that it easier for a right handed person to see the cut line with a left bladed saw, That blade is also a lot closer to you. For Safety purposes, if you are left handed use a left handed saw and if you are right handed use a right handed saw.

As for which saw is best, in my opinion there is no question - The Hilti 267E is by far the best saw. From the balance in the hand to the Warantee it is great. Earlier this week I was testing some saw blades and changed the blade about a half dozen times in an hour or so. Changing the blades was almost fun. Just flip the lever on the left side of the saw, lay the saw on the left side. That locks the blade and turns the power off to the motor. The only negative is a price tag of about $300.

Burt

My preferences and why.

I am right handed. Saw blade on the right.

this allows your left hand too thumb the blade guard open with ease

for plunge cuts, rips and cuts in shallow stock witch hang up on the guard.

the key to sucessful circular saw operation is never watch the blade but to

use the guide in front of the saw. It is quite useful.

The only time I need/use a left handed saw is when I switch hats

and play framing monster. To see the blade for rafter birds mouths and

stair stringer cut outs.

I hope this helps.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

A little more on using the guide on the front of a circular saw.

Unsolicited.

For me its like this, if I think to much about what I am doing, like

watching a sawblade, overcompensation and second guessing will cause

a non straight cut. The brain works in mysterious ways. Lets take some

sports analogys, Golf swing, you dont really look at the ball when you hit it.

Major league hitter swings on instinct. Bowlers? Yeah you get where I am going

with this. And shooting. You don't watch the bullet.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    [I was actually born left handed and can use either one, but my right hand runs the saw much straighter].
    Oh man oh man you had it easy. almost Everyone is born right handed don't ya know?

It is the exceptional ones that over come it.

Where as the original poster is in Canada, I have been to Canada's OSHA type site, and looked to find their circular saw requirements. They list a left blade saw for a left handed person, and a right blade for a right handed. Motor is supposed to add some protection, and the notch is supposed to be the freehand guide.
    I use one of the guided systems, because of the router and other tool advantadges, if it weren't for that, I would be using a sawboard.
    As for OSHA (USA), I did find two things of interest on thier site (but no reference/law number), they require the area to be clear around the cutting blade, and require dust collection between the operator and any blade facing him. So this would support the left/left and right/right configuration.
    Mike, I wish I would have known about the PC424, I just bought mine last week!

Blog Entries
    Depends how you plan to use it. I assume you're not going to be "walking the plate" sawing off rafters one handed (a worm saw works well here). The PC mag is a very nice saw (used one, don't own one) for woodshop use. As to left or right; I like the blade on the left as I can see better but you can get more dust in the face. If you use a guide for your cuts, like when you break down sheet goods for a project, I don't think it makes much difference right or left as you are watching the saw's shoe-to-guide contact as opposed to the "line". MHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler