Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laguna, Minimax, and Agazanni Bandsaw oners please defend your purchase.

Laguna, Minimax, and Agazanni Bandsaw oners please defend your purchase.

I've been reading everyone's opinions on bandsaws greater than 14" and it seems that Agazanni, Minimax and Laguna are everyone's favorites.

So I went to the Woodworking Show today hoping to choose between the 3.

First stop Laguna - they had an LT14 on display and an LT16HD - and also a 20" or 24" - but more than I need and way out of my price range. Kinda disapointed that they didn't have more considering they are only a few miles away. The LT16HD was a very impressive machine - but the show special package was $300 off so the package was still around $2800, but at least I looked at this one and seemed to see a better quality than the rest of the imports. So I asked about the LT16 - he showed me the LT14 they had on display - said it was made by a different company and went on to show me the many reasons why the Lt16Hd was a better machine. I agreed with everyone of his points but came to the conclusion that unless I was willing to fork out the $2800 for the LT16HD that the regular LT16 at a show package price of $1800 wasn't any better than the $999 Pioneer I saw. Scratch Laguna off the list.

Second stop Minimax - They had an MM16 and an E16. The E16 was no better than Laguna's LT16 - for all I could tell they came off the same line. Scratch the E16 off the list. Then the guy did a poor job of selling me on the MM16 - just said it's better and it's the last bandsaw I'll have to buy. Offers it for $2100. I came back and looked at it later, the bottom door wouldn't even close tight - not what I want to see for over $2000 - scratch Minimax off the list.

Third stop - Agazanni - Looked at their 18" - seemed pretty decent - but seemed to be almost like the other two in the sense I don't see it being built any better than a Jet or Pioneer etc.. And for $2000 they just didn't sell me.

I took a good hard look at the Jet 18 WBSX - no foot brake - but overall quality seemd as good if not better than the the other 3 premiums ones at half the price.

I'm going back again Saturday and Sunday - but I need you owners to tell me what I'm missing. I just don't see the top 3 being $1000 better. The tables all felt cheap - I know the Minimax has 16" resaw and a 4.8 HP - but that's not needed for me.

I embarked on the same journey about 2 months ago. Minimax turned me on to an owner of a MM16 and I drove an hour each way to see it. I was going to wait for the WW show here in Phoenix Nov 10th, but then I found a 2 year old Laguna LT16-HD and I was able to buy it with the mobility kit and about 10 blades including Laguna's carbide resaw blade for $1400. That swung the decision easily for me. Having said that, I really hate to sell my USA made 1990 Powermatic Model 141. I really want to find the room to keep it, but I just don't see it fitting...joe

I defend the purchase of my Laguna 16HD by saying that I think all of the above mentioned saws are excellent machines, but I live close enough to the Laguna facility to handle any problems IN PERSON.

Thats what made up my mind. (Plus I will-called it and paid no freight.) I love this saw, use it every day, and have no regrets!...........Well, actually I'd like to buy a 24" now!!
    Last edited by John Fry; 11-04-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

Yes - I don't think I made it clear - the LT16Hd seemed to be a solid machine and that I see why the price is so much more. But the LT16HD at $2800 is way more than I want to spend - now if you really want that LT24 and want to give me a deal on your LT16HD - I'm local too.

Mark Dugunske just bought his second B 20 Aggazani from Jesse...Maloof has one and Krenov...I think they are the best overall
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark, What do you make of the capacitors that Agazzani attaches next to their motors because they are not designed to run on 60 hz like American motors are?
    Does yours have one of these? Do you think they will last as long this way?

On all the "Top 3" Mfrs there seems to be quite a difference between their 16" or 18" models and their larger ones (or in the case of Laguna their LT16HD seems to be in that higher bracket).

He told me the Laguna LT16 and LT16HD are made by two different mfrs.

I can't justify the over $2000 for the larger ones. So I'm trying to see if there is any reason to spend the extra almost $1000 on any of their 16" or 18" models over a Jet, Rikon etc.. I just didn't see the quality on the Laguna LT16, the Minimax E16 or MM16, or the Agazanni 18". Nor did I see any more great functionality or features. The one downside to the Jet JW18WBSX was the 1 1/2 HP motor - but you can get a 3 HP version now for around $1200.

I own the laguna LT16 (older version - European motor) and I like it a lot.

From what I've heard from people I respect and what I've seen, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Get the best deal.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gregg feldstone
    Mark, What do you make of the capacitors that Agazzani attaches next to their motors because they are not designed to run on 60 hz like American motors are?
    Does yours have one of these? Do you think they will last as long this way?
    I never paid attention to the capicitors.....mine is about 4 years old aand the motor runs flawlessly.

I had a Jet 18" and i developed serious vibration issues. Jet redeigned the frame and sent me a new model free.... It was great they shood behind their product. At that point I just wanted a better bandsaw....so I called Mark Duginske on the phone and he suggesed that I call Jesse at Eagle Tools and ask about the Aggazani and he suggested the 20" was a lot more saw than the 18".....Turned out that Jesse and I went to the same Universary and were in the same graduating class. I had the saw Jet sent me delivered to Jesse and he shipped it to a buyer I had lined up.....I saw Jesse at the Woodworking show yesterday in Costa Mesa and I left a deposit on the SawStop tablesaw...He sad he watched them for over a year....did a lot of research and now he is a SawStop dealer.

Ken,

Go back and see if they are doing resaw tests so you can see the machines in action.

Also, check out the Powermatic 14" model.... good 14" machine $900

Lastly, Take a chance on a GENERAL 15" (Canadian Made) bandsaw. Cast iron, and perhaps the smoothest running bandsaw of its size. It is pricey though, around $2200.

I think it really depends on what you're doing...or maybe how much you'll be doing it. I got a JET 18" (used) because I wanted a bit more resaw height than I had with the 14", and I didn't want to mess with a riser block. I don't do any 'big' resawing, but I wanted to resaw 6" without being at the limit of the saw as designed. This one does what I want it to do, and it does it for a lot less $$ than the others. A good blade will make a huge difference... and with the blades being equal, for what I do I'm not sure how much better the others could be. I will say that a foot brake would be a very good addition to the JET.

KC

Sorry - defending my purchase of an LT-18 seems irrelevant to the question at hand. You need to choose what best fits your needs and budget. The wisdom of any purchase can only be determined by its performance and worth to the owner over the years. My LT-18 has performed flawlessly for the past 7 years and to me it was worth every penny of what I paid.
    Steve

What can I say? My MM16 is the last band saw I'll likely need to purchase. My doors close just fine and the company has been wonderful to work with. And when you compare the weight, materials and so forth of the MM, Laguna and Agazanni objectively to the Jet, Delta, etc. saws, there is a notable difference for the money you pay.

But the bottom line is that you should invest in the machine and company that you are most comfortable with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks so far for everyone's input - as I mentioned I'm going back today. No offense to you Jim - I wanted to go and justify to myself the $2000 for the MM16 - but was not impressed and like I said the bottom door wouldn't even shut - and the less than helpful salesman wasn't even there most of the day. Now in day to day use maybe that's where it shines - but that isn't coming across on the show floor.

I'll give all three another look today.