Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0555 vs Rikon 10-325 Bandsaws

Grizzly G0555 vs Rikon 10-325 Bandsaws

Choices, choices...

In the next coupla weeks I'm gonna purchase a 14" bandsaw. I'm torn between getting the Grizzly G0555 with riser blocks, or the Rikon 10-325 "Ultimate" bandsaw. I can afford the latter but it's a big stretch, especially with taxes and shipping factored in. The question is, is it worth the extra $$$ over the Grizzly?

Grizzly - $530 w/riser block & shipping (no tax - online purchase),
    - Cast Aluminum Wheels, open stand,
    - iffy bearing guides (from reviews & comments)
    - coplaner adjustments possible with riser blocks
    - 1 HP motor
    - Need to install riser block
    Rikon - $900 w/tax & shipping (purchased locally)
    - Cast Iron Wheels, Closed Stand,
    - 13" Resaw out of the box,
    - 1-1/2 HP motor
    - Attached worklight (woohoo! tounge-in-cheek - I can add a light.)

This is going in a garage shop with a mobile base. (I've got half of a two car garage to work with). I've never worked with Grizzy or Rikon. What have your experiences been with these manufacturers? I have learned the lesson about buying quality over price where possible, but I don't know that the Rikon quality is that much above the Grizzly since I've not worked with either. I have visited the Rikon at our local Woodcraft store and it looks darn good.

The SWMBO is fine with either (nice bonus this year...)

(I've also got my eyes on the Veritas 4-1/2 smoothing plane - Grizzly + plane - hmmmm. Is the Grizzly good enough?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

John

I don't have any experience with either, but have read a lot of good things about both. I think I would seriously consider going with the Grizzly with the riser block, and then spend the extra on the Veritas.

How about a new Rikon at this price?

If that doesn't work, go to e-bay ans search Rikon. It's a e-bay store that has it listed, "buy it now" price.
    Last edited by John Bailey; 12-10-2006 at 4:50 PM.

Paul - The price online - ebay and others is $799, but with the $155 or more shipping cost it still comes in > $900. Locally I pay $749 (and I will try to haggle it lower hopefully) with 8.25% sales tax and $100 shipping (plus they'll help me lug it into the garage).

So the shipping cost online comes out greater than the tax and cheaper shipping I get locally.

John

Hi John, could you do me a favor and post a reveiw after you make your choice? I myself am considering these two saws, but I'm still several months away from being able to make a purchase.So I'm still in the homework stage (sorry if this is an inappropiate request.)

Don't forget that Grizzly has a couple of machines simiar to the big Rikon...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Just when you thought you had all the info, did you notice that Grizzly now has the G0555X at $595. Got the 1 1/2 hp. and the new fence. Looks pretty good.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Given the choice between the two, I would take the Rikon. The Rikon has cast iron wheels which will aid in cutting by virtue of the rotational mass of the wheels, this will be especially useful in resawing. I have the Rikon 10-340, 18" bandsaw and have been more than pleased with the Rikon to date.
    The Grizzly G0555 is essentially an open stand 14" bandsaw. Jet, Delta, Rigid all have a similar offering. Having a Jet 14" bandsaw that I spent quite a bit of $$$ to try and be able to resaw with, and never achieving it, I can't reccomend someone going down that road. I would have been $$$ ahead If I had just bought a bigger bandsaw to begin with.
    All that being said. I don't think that comparing the two is fair to the Grizzly. They are different bandsaws.

My .02 fwiw

Great responses!

Everett - I will gladly post information about what I purchase and my experiences when I put it to use. (I claim being guilty of gloating on occasion.)

John - The new G0555X Grizzly looks intriging. One of the forum complaints for the G0555 was the very poor fence and it looks like they listened. Bumping up the H.P. can only help.

Mike - Your comments reflect why I've been leaning more to Rikon - My main goal for the bandsaw is that I envision resawing to make thinner material for boxes, to get book-matched panels and occasionally for some venier. I would jump up to 18" but that's a bit big for my small shop and from what I've read so far I can resaw on 14" with patience - something I usually have.

JohnG

I own the Grizzly - Bought it before the "New" Rikon 14" with 13" cut was available. I've used the Rikon 18" and it's one VERY good BS. one of the things I like about the Rikon is that the upright (post) is one piece; not bolted together. The 1-1/2 vs 1 hp will make quite a difference in the power department.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

The Grizzly G0513X has 12" of resaw and is under a grand delivered. The "regular version" is about a hundred less. I'd surly take those over the Rikon 14" saw any day...the larger wheels can track a better resaw blade. And you get 2hp, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll second Jim, the G0513x is an excellent bandsaw, and for the money, it's hard to beat. I personally just moved from the G0555, with the riser kit, to the G0513 just a couple months ago. I have the regular model without the CI wheels. The G0555 is an excellent bandsaw and can certainly resaw. While it won't be as fast as a larger bandsaw with more horsepower and a larger blade, it certainly did a wonderful job for me.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy the biggest you could afford, certainly one with a good reputation. The G0513 models are worth a look.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The Grizzly G0513X has 12" of resaw and is under a grand delivered. The "regular version" is about a hundred less. I'd surly take those over the Rikon 14" saw any day...the larger wheels can track a better resaw blade. And you get 2hp, too.
    Those are both nice bandsaws Jim. The original G0513 was the model I tossed back and forth with before purchasing the 18" Rikon. The only thing that really tipped the scale for me was that I could get the Rikon local, and it was discounted. The price was below that of the Griz' delivered. I like that "X" model. An additional 100lbs of weight. The majority of it is the difference between the aluminum, and the cast iron wheels.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-10-2006 at 9:30 PM.

Guys, this is making it harder, not easier!

Now I'm gonna look at the 13x for a bit and drool some...

John

Smile

John,

I own the Rikon 10-325 and love it! Any of the BS's that your looking at will do you a great job! It all comes down to your own preference, needs and price. If money is the limiting factor, then go for the Griss. If you don't need the BS right now and are willing to wait to save up the extra bucks. Then pick the one that you really want. Either way I don't think you will go wrong!
    Good Luck!
    Bigger is better, too much is just right!