Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Woo Hoo! It's Here!

Woo Hoo! It's Here!

Just finished mounting the palmgren to it's new home. And turned a quick handle for the knock out rod Just so I try it out.

This thing is built like a tank compared to my grizzly. I am well pleased with it. The low end speed is real good, the reeves drive looks solidly built. No slop in the shaft on the tail stock. the centers match up perfectly. I mention all this cause those were some of the problems I had with the grizz.

I can't imagine how we got a lathe like this for $290. I can't even imagine how this only retails for $450.

I built this table for it, it's 30" high, 60" long and 18" wide. exect for the screw holding on the plywood top and bottom I used no bolts or screws everything is either mortised and tenoned with then doweled or dovetailed and doweled. I didn't want any of the joints to wobble. It's made out of some utility oak I surfaced done to 6/4. then I also put 150lbs of sand in the bottom.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! Very nice table ya made too (can I steal it? )

Still awaiting word on my order. No tracking info yet. But you give yours a good workout so all us that are waiting know how it'll do

Way to go Bob! Git-R-Dirty!

Looks good Bob. Mine should be here tomorrow afternoon.

Go Bob Go!.............Congrats! What's it throw and low rpm?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,
    I will turn a 15" inboard and a 20in outboard. and the Rpm's on palmgren website say they go down to 360. Which I beleive as it is much slower than the griz went.

Bob

Congrats Bob!! Looks like you are set to have a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings from the new lathe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Talking looks familiar

That looks just like my craftsman lathe. I wonder who the real manufacturer is?

You are gona love it.

Bob,

The only thing I would warn you about this lathe is the main drive belt from the motor. It is a real pain to change out. In the two years I have had mine the belt has needed to be replaced twice. The small belt is about $30 bucks from Sears. Hopefully you can find another source.

I have turned at 14.5" platter with no problem without swivelling the head stock.

-andy

I beleive that Palmgren builds the lathe for Sears.

You go Bob!!!! Congrats on the new lathe!!! Now let's see some lathe curlies on that baby.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Congratulations Bob!! Looks like you'll be disappearing from civilization for a while! Nice Bench!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Think seriously about extending the stand's footprint in front of the lathe to counter the thrust of out-of-balance pieces. Can be as simple as laminating a triangular piece of the same stock as the legs to them, so no big deal about breaking the stand down. Swing plus maybe 25% should catch the vector. That way you'll be able to forego weighting. Weebles may not fall down, but they still wobble.

After you use it a bit, consider whether elevating the lathe bed on blocks will get clearance to haul trash from between the ways. Perhaps you'll discover you started a bit low, or perhaps you have some legs to trim.

Thanks for the info George, I allready thought about extending the legs but wanted to wait a see how it worked as I do need one more thing to trip on in my messy shop.
    As to cleaning out between the ways, the plywood top does not go underneath the lathe it goes just past where the bolts are So I could clean it and adjust the bolt on the tailstock and the rest.

Bob

Bob, I don't want to hijack your thread... I'm still in the 'thinking stage' of building a table for mine. Is it better to leave an open space under the rails to let dust and chips fall through? I hadn't thought about that before...