Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop made Router Table Sled

Shop made Router Table Sled

Some of you may have noticed my previous post on the ShopNotes Router Table Sled (Vol. 15 Issue 87). I was inspired by the article, and after a lot of thought and deliberation, decided to make my own version.

The plywood base on the prototype was 1/2" thick plywood. Initial testing indicated there was to much deflection between the base and the fence when the stock was clamped down. The deflection pulls the stock away from the backer board! The second and final version has a 3/4" plywood base, which works much better! The rear cross-clamp was added to apply additional pressure for the backer board. The combination of clamps provide good support, and a tight fit between the stock and backer board The fence is 2" angle Aluminum. The hold down clamps are from Harbor Freight. Adhesive pads were added for a soft touch. The base has eight T-nuts space 1-1/2" for mounting the hold down clamps and handle assembly.

More pictures on my Web Page:

http://members.ai5.net/~kc7cn@ai5.net/main/routersled/index.html

-Don

Not sure why the link doesn't work! I added "index.html" to the string - hope this will work.
    Last edited by Don Stanley; 01-17-2007 at 12:58 AM.

Link didn't work for me but that is a good looking sled Don. Nice job.

corey

Don,

The link did not work for me either. Nice sled, Did you make the knobs?

Jonathan

Link worked fine for me. I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.9.

Nice job Don. That is cool.

Pete
    "Last year we couldn't win at home. This year we can't win on the road.
    My failure as a coach is that I can't think of any other place to play."
    - Harry Neale, Vancouver Canucks

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Clarke
    Link worked fine for me. I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.9.
    Thanks for the tip Roy. I also use Mozilla Firefox, and was unaware the link did not work with Microsoft Internet Exploer. I found the problem in my index file. The link should work now.

-Don

shop sled

worked for me . that is a really nice jig. good job

Don,

That is really excellent, thanks for sharing all the pics. I'm actually making one right now...not nearly as substantial as yours...and its great to see other peoples ideas and methods.
    Real nice job on the shop made knobs, too.

Thanks,

Pete

Link Worked for me. I use Microsoft IE. Great job. Did you follow basically the same design as Shopnotes?

Don,

Very nice work - especially the shop-made knobs! What did you use for threaded inserts?

Jack

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Here's some answers to your questions:

Corey, Jonathan, Roy - Thanks to Roy, I discovered the link did not work with the Microsoft Internet Browser. I also use Firefox. I fixed the problem - should work now.

Yes, I made the knobs. I'm retired, so I have the time to do something just for the fun of it. It would be far more cost effective to buy knobs, but I live in a small town, and would have to travel to three different stores to buy more than one. I used threaded metal inserts.

Peter - Be sure to post pictures of your sled. I really enjoy my shop fixture projects.

Larry - The ShopNotes plan got me started. The basic dimensions are similar, but that's about all. I really enjoy ShopNotes because so many of the articles are creative.

Additional notes:

I purchased the HF Hold Down clamps at the Tacoma, WA Harbor Freight store, nearly two years ago. However, I can not find them on the HF Online Catalog.

I intended to laminate thin pieces of Oak for the handle assembly - otherwise the handle would be very weak in the narrow cross-grain areas. However, I got so involved with the design that I forgot to do the lamination step. Rather than toss it out and make a new handle, I mounted it in the new sled, and used a slot cutter for splines.

yes indeed...that is really a work of art...congrats

Great looking sled. Thanks for sharing. I am working on my router table right now and will have to add a sled to my todo list.

Thanks again.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Very cool Sled. I like the knobs.

Thumbs up

Dat's definitely darn dandy Don!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....