Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood sources-MN

Wood sources-MN

Looking for some decent sources for lumber in MN or heck, willing to maybe visit Iowa or WI if the prices are real decent.

My old source burnt down last year and now I'm back in the search. Sheesh-looked at Youngblood and dang near filled my drawers at those $$$. Highest I have ever seen.

Anyone with ideas - I am all ears

Straight south of Rochester, just over the MN border
    http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep...EUTIWPERWRJPX0

Scott

Been to Hartzell and its a nice place to go to, cheap and decent wood, from what I can tell.

Justin, join the Minn woodworkers guild and get 30 or 40% off Youngbloods list price, plus there's some nice people in the guild.

You near the Twin cities?

Al

Justin

Try renneberg hardwoods in Menahga, MN

www.renneberghardwoods.com

They have a huge selection and good prices.

They deliver once a week to International Falls I am sure they would deliver to your area as well.

Youngbloods has about the highest prices I have run into.

Quinn

Quinn, is that with or without the woodworkers discount?
    For the metro area with the discount they didn't seem to bad, plus they have a ton of stuff there.
    Might put a plug in for the guild, with membership they also get discounts at many supplies, makes the $30 worth it, plus the stuff the guild puts on, just went to a David Marks semminar a ways back.

I notice Rennebergs web site doesn't list a price list, any way to get one online, Quinn??
    Al
    Last edited by Al Willits; 03-12-2007 at 6:19 PM.

In southeast Minnesota, there are two common sources for wood.

Root River Hardwoods in Preston: http://www.rootriverhardwoods.com/

Vetsch Hardwoods in Rochester: (507) 288-0671.

I find Vetsch a bit easier/friendlier to deal with when you want smaller quantities.

vetsch is very friendly, they will surface a single board if you ask, and they have large stock. Havent tried hartzell yet, but am going to give root river a shot. They are more expensive than Vetsch. I was wondering were I could get bubinga or similar around rochester, and havent had any luck, without going to the cities. Anybody got any ideas in that area?

Speaking of the Minnesota woodworkers guild, I am thinking of putting a piece in the upcoming Northern Woods show, that they put on. The deadline is the eighteenth, so I need to make up my mind. I had posted wondering if anybody had heard of the show, but nobody replied. ANybody here heard of it? I would assume so if you are familier with the guild.

There is also the Northern Minnesota woodworkers guild, which is near Brainard.

Greg, at the last meeting they mentioned the show, but being a newbie I wasn't paying that much attention.
    I'd contact of of the upper levels and they could probably steer you in the right directions.

Hartzells seems to be the cheapest I've found, plus their prices are online.
    Al

Another vote for Vetsch in Rochester. Greg yes I have heard of the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild show. I entered a couple years ago.I am working on a project for this years show. Alot of great looking furniture etc.

Tom

aaaah, now I feel I must enter it! There is a lot to do yet, I would likely not have the photo for the brochure in time, but it now seems like more than a call for membership. I talked to Rich, from the guild, and he seemed to be persuading me to join up more than anything, and when I hadn't heard from any of you, I was a little put off, but what the heck, right? If anything, it will be fun I'm sure... Greg

Justin

I just made a haul for lumber over in Steen, MN. FTP is the name of the mill. If you google FTP sawmill you'll come up with name, address, phone # etc. I'm at work now otherwise I'd post it.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Beyer's Hardwood & Millwork in West Salem, WI has a lumber supply retail store that they opened for people like us. West Salem is about 15 miles from the MN/WI border on I-90. They carry domestic as well as exotics, if you want bubinga, zebrawood, purpleheart, bloodwood... they have it, the only things that I've noticed they don't carry is ebony and wenge. It's not a big operation like some of these other places so give Barry a call over there @ 608-786-2201 before you go to check their hours and inventory of wood that you want, he's a real nice guy.

This is where I've been buying all my wood.

Blog Entries
    Come on Greg, you can do it...enter the show. I'm planning to and it would be great meeting other SMC folks there.

As far as lumber lumber supply, there's also a great place in Cameron WI called Hanson hardwoods. Curly maple at $3/bf, #1 pine at $0.80/bf, cabinet stock varies based on market conditions, but is generally lower than anyplace else I have found. They don't surface or anything like that, almost a wholesale place but great prices if they have what you want in stock. Definitely call ahead before making the drive.

Al

You are better off to call Rennneberg. The more you buy the more they discount it however they are open to small orders. I have been dealing with them for 10 years. I have never had a complaint about grade or scale.

Are you talking about youngbloods. They never mentioned that there was a discount for memberships.

I called about a price on mahogany. They were double the cost of wall lumber. Some of that was made up in shipping from South Carolina. WHen you live in I Falls you pay shipping for everything.

Quinn

Wow-you guys are great! This is better than a menu at my local Perkins

I've got some calling and driving to do I see - I love to have mucho choices for wood. Thank you all - reponses blew away my hope/expectations of feedback.

I guess another thing I maybe really should do is look into the WW Guild - thought about it in past and like so many things it slipped off my brain. Make that call this week too.

Again - hearty THANKS to everyone!