Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My take on a Frank Lloyd Wright designed desk lamp

My take on a Frank Lloyd Wright designed desk lamp

Hi,

This is my first full project using the new Tecnomax combo and I can only say that it does help to have good tools to work with.

I can't say its a copy of his original desk lamp because I didn't have any plans to work from so measurements were gleened from various other sources. Fishing around on the net produced a few pictures and a rudimentary diagram displaying total height of lamp and the width of the base. From the pics, using sketchup I was able to get pretty close to what I think is the original design. Its made from cherry with a light coat of Minwax cherry stain followed by some Old Masters gel stain (mustard color) and its finished with 6 coats of wipe on urethane lightly sanded between coats. The finishing took some time due to the small intricate parts but I'm pretty happy with the result and it matches our cherry table which was the goal. The little boxes that enclose the bulbs can slide back and forth so you can set the amount of light that streams through the sides and hence effect the mood of the surrounding area. The lighting hardware was purchased from an online arts and crafts store in the US and is CSA approved for use here in Canada. Each bulb is 15 watts, totalling 75 watts for the string which is what the cord and switch is rated for. All the hardware is mounted in a routered hollow in the middle of the pole and capped at the rear. The unit has been tested over a 10 hour period and the urethane coated wood only gets a slightly warm because there is good ventilation from above and below and from the sides of each box. I didn't keep any records but I'd estimate it took around 80 hours from disign to finish, the next one should be alot quicker.

Regards,
    Wayne

Great work. I have always loved FLW style. Someday when I get good at designing things I hope to build a lamp such as yours. I also like FLW barrel chair.

Wow! I love that! Very inspiring.

Blog Entries
    Now that . . . is extremely cool!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Brilliant!

So much of Wright's furniture was designed to be looked at rather than used, I was afraid of what I would see. That's not the case here though. It does look like it was designed by someone who knew he wouldn't have to build it himself though. That must have taken a lot of work. I'm sure you are right, that if you set up a production line, it could be done cost effectively.

It's a really beautiful and individual piece. I'd be proud to have one in my home.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Can you tell us a bit about the construction?

From the pictures it looks like miter joints and glue. What holds the horizontal shades in place? Is there anything to keep the moving shades from sliding all the way off with vibration?

I really like that lamp. Have you thought about posting the plans?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

That is really a great design! I love the consistency and the architectural quality....it feels like a well designed building! This is a rational piece...it is easy to see how the design relates to the function...it makes sence and everything has a reason for being there.Great work too!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

That is awesome. I have never seen that before. Mind posting a closer of pic of one of the boxes and how it attaches to the base.

I can see a few of these in my future. I hope they turn out like yours.

great Job!

That looks great
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Way cool!

Gary

Lamp

Fantastic lamp,its funny(or not)how something that size can take more time to build than a entertainment center.its all in the details and it shows in this project.Lookiiiiing GOOD

That looks great!!! I was taking pictures of that lamp at FLW's home and studio because I had dreams of recreating it. Any more details about the size & construction would be very appreciated.

I seen this lamp in the gift store at Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fallingwater' house in western PA. I too was inspired.

Nice job!...Jeff

Beautiful work.

Richard

Looks great and very close to the pic's I have seen. There is a guy here in madison that occaisionally posts the plans for sale on Craig's.

http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/286538513.html

...if anywone is interested. The normal disclaimer - I am not affiliated in anyway with the seller of the item. I just browse Craig's every couple of days ...
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!