Thread: My Workbench #1

My Workbench #1

Not what you expected I'll bet but this is my choice for the ultimate workbench, for my needs anyway. I purchased the hydraulic table from Northern Tools and it soon became my favorite workbench. Here are the specifications;

* 770 pound lifting capacity.
    * Steel Table Size = 20" by 32".
    * Adjustable Working height from 10" to 35".
    * 3/4" Plywood top 48" by 60".
    * 4" locking wheels.

Folds down to 10" tall and can lean against the wall when you aren't using it (never).
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Workbench #2

This workbench is great for many of the tools in my shop, the adjustable height allows me comfortable work sessions that are always perfect for the task and tool at hand. My Jet Mini Lathe can be used at various heights depending on the job and adjusted in 15 seconds or less to a comfotable sitting height when the concrete starts taking its toll on the old feet and legs. Sanders, routing, assembly...you name it the height is always perfect.

Locking wheels mean I can roll the table anywhere in my shop, even behind my table saw which makes for a very large outfeed table. If I'm production cutting there is plenty of room to stack parts on the table edge then roll the table to the other side of my shop for the next operation.

Very interesting and versatile. What do you do for a vise?
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Very cool.
    Solves that "what height to build it at" deal huh?
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

My Workbench #3

Here you can see the footlift, control handle and the angle iron I use to attach my sacrificial plywood table to the steel table. Any number of table top designs and material types are possible, including aluminum, acrylic sheet, etc. I only have to remove four small bolts to remove the plywood top.

My Workbench #4

The handholds in this particular top were made for a cabinet job I finished last year. These made it easier to use a drill driver and install the long screws from the cabinet back into the shelves. Adjusting the height up and down while assembling meant I never had to lean over for long periods of time...or stand on my tiptoes to get to the top shelf.

Another consideration is that when I unload a 500 pound machine from my truck into the shop my workbench does all of the hard work. I back my truck up to the door and slide the table up to the tailgate. Adjust the height of the table and slide the load onto the table. After lowering the table down to within 10" of the floor it is usually a simple job to slide the box or pallet to the floor.

I could go on and on with examples of how a hydraulic table is such a fantastic addtion to any workshop but you get the idea and probably have already thought of a hundred things you can do in your shop.

My workbench was $229.00

My Workbench

Lloyd,

I have a woodworking vise on a different workbench, it's welded steel with a 1/4" stainless steel top. I will be moving the vise to the adjustable workbench soon. I plan to build a quick connect fixture so that I can install and remove the vise as needed although the 10" dimension would allow me to attach the vise permanently if necessary.

Since the table top is sacrificial I can use screws or air nails to attach temporary jigs and fixtures to the top. The handholds can be used for clamping and the sides are also easy to use as auxiliary clamp areas. It is rare that I need to use a vise on this table but there have been a couple times it would have been nice.

Thumbs up Good Idea

I bought the big brother to your lift last year. The only problem I have with it is that it weighs about 300# and is a bear to move around, but it does lift 1200# Looking back, I should have bought your model....

I also bought the NT ATV lift to raise the front of my Scag ZTR mower. It surely make cleaning mowing deck a lot easier. Man, I hate that task, but it has to be done

Merry Christmas to the crew behind the scenes
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken,

We must be on the same wavelength.. I also purchased the ATV lift to use when changing the blades and deck cleaning on my Dixie Chopper. At 1200 pounds and with a 72" wide deck its a lot of mower.

The hydraulic table I have moves easilly, even with 500 pounds of lumber it rolls smoothly and spins on a dime.

Thanks for the Christmas greetings and kind words. We will be posting our Christmas Message and Wishlist for the coming year very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    I bought the big brother to your lift last year. The only problem I have with it is that it weighs about 300# and is a bear to move around, but it does lift 1200# Looking back, I should have bought your model....

I also bought the NT ATV lift to raise the front of my Scag ZTR mower. It surely make cleaning mowing deck a lot easier. Man, I hate that task, but it has to be done

Merry Christmas to the crew behind the scenes