Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolibah lidded vessel

Coolibah lidded vessel

From a small offcut of Coolibah burl. I had started to turn this into a slanted rim vase, but when I got down to the lower rim, I decided to make an opening and hollow the rest. Blackwood finial and pedestal. I first made a taller pedestal with a sphere to match the finial, but the spheres seemed too overpowering. 10 1/2" tall by 3 1/2" diameter with a wet sanded and hand buffed lacquer finish.

Of all beautiful pieces of yours that I've seen, this has to be right at or near the top of the chart. If you have a pic of the other version I wouldn't mind seeing them in a side by side comparison. I don't know how that could be any better but it would be nice to make the comparison.

WOW! that is nice Travis. I haven't seen anything like that before. I need to pick up some of those aussie burl caps. To bad it wouldn't look anything like yours when I am done.

Bob

Wow Travis - what beautiful work! Great concept, excellent form, finish, pedestal and finial. Amazed at your abilities! Looking forward to your next project!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Curt, here's a shot of the original pedestal along with the final one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Travis that is impressive. Not only is it good looking but I can respect the challenge to hollow that with the interupted rim wizzing by.

When I hollow, especially when I undercut the rim I often find myself placing the tool handle in what would have right in the path of that rim. Would have liked to watch you turn this one.

Bob

Outstanding, Travis!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful-- perfect-- Great -- I really the form and the finial shape.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Stinson
    Curt, here's a shot of the original pedestal along with the final one.
    It would be impossible for me to decide which of those looks better. I think they're both just about perfect but in different ways.

That is a superb piece of art! This one has to be one of the nicest forms I've seen! Almost looks like a flower the way the natural edge fans out and the vessel portion is inside... beautiful work! I would agree that the ball on the lower portion does overpower the piece, in which case the new base does look better! All I can say is awesome!
    Isaiah 55:6-7

Travis,

That is a simply elegant piece. One of the amazing things about it is that it looks great from every angle. I like the final version of it much better than the first, and the first was fantastic. However, in this case, less is definitely more.

However, while I thrill to see such beauty, this piece comes dangerously close to being downright depressing to the turner inside me. Some work is encouraging because I can imagine that, someday, after a lot of practice, I can turn something similar. This coolibah lidded vessel is right on the verge of crossing over into the territory of "there ain't no way I'm ever going to be able to do that no matter how long I try so I might as well give up." I think it may be the simple, elegant lines that make me think that, some day, I, too, can do something as nice.

Travis,
    Right there at the top of one of the finest pieces I've seen. I agree with the pedestal you went with too. Don't know how you manage to keep turning out such beauties. How about posting something something ugly just so we know you are human !
    Brian

Travis I've been admiring your work for a long time and this is definately one of my favorites. I normally don't care much for NE turnings but this one is just beautiful! Your posts are always in the inspirational category for me.
    Marc

I don't even know what to say. That is so cool and so artful and so...I don't ...I'm at a loss here. I rarely talk about peoples work as i feel I am not qualified, but this piece just blew me away. Wow is all I can say.

Rich

Travis all I can is it is absolutely beautiful. The piece is awesome.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.