Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osborne Miter Gauge?

Osborne Miter Gauge?

I'm getting ready to buy a new cabinet saw (thanks again for everyone's guidance!) Norm uses an Osborne miter gauge.. Is it worth it?

I have and use the Osborne EB-3 on my Uni

It's not a slider.

It takes much less space and does almost the same tasks!

I have the Osborne EB3 and the Jointech SmartMiter. I use the Osborne EB3 99% of the time.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Winterhalter
    I'm getting ready to buy a new cabinet saw (thanks again for everyone's guidance!) Norm uses an Osborne miter gauge.. Is it worth it?
    It looks good. The EB3 was about $250-$300 when it was made in Canada. Now it is $99 and made offshore but have not heard any complaints with new standards. Find the CA model if you can - time tested trusted design.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Clint - My Canadian made EB-3 had numerous issues that Osborne's CS was none to eager to remedy. At the time, those issues weren't an isolated incident either. Several folks posted with similar problems. After more than a year and 3 defective gauges, I read a post from someone who posted the part numbers that he replaced. I skirted Osborne and called Excaliber's CS, and requested the parts....they were sent and the gauge is now functional. The gauge is now made overseas, and perhaps the systemic issues have been ironed out.

The EB-3 is easy to use once adjusted, but is a fairly complex device. I also have an Incra gauge that's extremely simple and a pleasure to use. I tried a friend's Woodhaven Deluxe and was blown away by the build quality and simplicity of it. I recently picked up a Woodhaven made "Jet" Deluxe gauge based on my impression of the Woodhaven. I'll suggest taking a look at either the Incra 1000SE or the Woodhaven also. Others speak highly of the Jessem but I haven't toyed with one yet.

Good luck with the new saw and the miter gauge!

http://www.epinions.com/EB3
    http://www.epinions.com/Incra V27
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I recently got the Osborne EB3. I think you can still get it for about $99. I wouldn't worry about Canadian vs. import, some of the earlier ones were the ones that may have had some problems and they were probably made in the USA. (Originally the Osborne was mfg'd in PA, then they couldn't keep up with demand and tooling on the newer models, so were subbed out to General, I believe. Don't know if they are still being made by General in Canada or elsewhere, but I think still in Canada). I haven't used it much at all yet but did set it up and adjust it (simple). I opted for this one over some of the others as I don't do alot of odd degree cuts and liked the idea of extending the fence. It seems to be a good miter gauge. I read the reviews that Scott linked for you prior to purchasing, but felt that any issues were probably resolved and so far I am pleased with my decision. I also sent an email to Osborne and received quick response, so I suspect maybe the CS is better now too?!

For what its worth, in a review of miter gauges that I believe was published last year or so, the EB did poorly. I think the review was in FWW but, I'm not certain. Some of the tools "his Normness" choses to use aren't always the best available. If you have a Woodcraft, Rockler, or other such store in driving distance I would suggest going there and looking them over very carefully. If I recall this article correctly (and that's hard for me to do since I subscribe to about 6 woodworking mags) the Incra base model was very highly rated, even more so than the top line Incra. Personal preference usually has a lot to do with your choice and you should like the way one works.

I had the Osgorne EB, and sold it after I had the chance to use an Incra 1000SE. The Incra blew me away with the simplicity and consistancy. I had no issues with the Osborne unit, I just prefer the Incra.

I had the Osborne for about a year and decided I didn't care for it. If I needed an angle besides the ones it had detents for (90, 45, and a few others), I was never sure if the pointer was in the right place. I now have an Incra 1000 and a Woodhaven Smart Miter. I love both of them.

I have had the EB-3 for about three years now. I'm not crazy about it and as soon as I find a way to sneek it in the house I'm getting a woodhaven. There is a guy on the woodnet forum that has the delta knockoff of the woodhaven for sale of $60. His username is EZEZ.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 04-08-2007 at 11:52 AM.

I have both the Incra and the Osborne. The only place the Osborn is better is for repetitive cuts because there is a little more capacity. In all other respects I think the Incra is a better choice.

I have the EB-3

I can only talk to it, I have never use any of the others.

I really like the EB-3 and the way its built, very well and it is also is very easy to use. I don't do a lot of angles that are not on stops so that is not a problem.
    It is very fast to change angles or to change sides. It is long and when using it on a 4 foot board it is really nice.

The stop is really nice and can be used all the way out with the extension.
    I guess bottom line is it is very heavy and built very well, I am sure that others are also. It works great for me and handles the things I use it for just great and I could ask for nothing more.

My Dubby is at least 15 years old and I will probably use it till I die. Has the original wood fence ( I think they are made of aluminum extrusion, now) and still cuts accurate miters.

Gary K.

FWIW.......
    The history is that the EB-2 was a big success in spite of some small short commings and when redesigned as the EB-3 there were some problems at the outset. Manufacturing was taken over by Sommerville, better known as Excalibur in Canada and the problems were ironed over a fairly long time period but well under a year. The problems were very famous! I have the Canadian version made by Excalibur and never had a bit of trouble with the guide. The first time or two that I tried moving the rig from left of the blade to the right of the blade on my Unisaw it seemed like a chinese fire drill as they were called but after getting accustomed to it the EB-3 is a piece of cake and as accurate as you could want. Sommerville went BK about a year or so ago and General took over many of the products such as the overarm guard and slider. I lost track of the details including the move to off shore of the EB-3 and the Merlin splitter whose product roll out wasn't quite complete when Sommerville failed. The EB-3 in the long run is a better tool than some of its reputation. IMHO
    Last edited by Az Fred; 04-08-2007 at 9:03 PM.

I have the Osborne EB-3 and have had none of the above issues. It works great for what I do and have no complaints as far as adjustment, use or accuracy. Maybe I'm just a crude woodbutcher
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.