Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer Sled 2.0

Blog Entries

Planer Sled 2.0

This is straight out of Keith Rust's plans here:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=24118

I just wanted to share how even I could do this :

The desire is to be able to face joint a board that is wider than your jointer. First you need some parts:

1 Parts.jpg

I used 3/4" BB Ply to make some braces. The result is like a torsion box. You want to build this on a known flat reference surface:

2 Braces.jpg

The top and bottom are glued and screwed to the braces. I offset the panels by about 1/2", marked and drilled the holes. This prevents the screws from running into each other from opposite sides of the base (a little blurry on this one, it must have been getting late):

4 Off Set.jpg

Gratuitous glue up shot. The panel and supports at the back of the bench are just setting there. This is not part of the assembly:

3 Glue Up.jpg

So here's the base assembly. The extra 5/16" hole at each end is for a dowel that will hold the bungee cord:

5 Base Assembly.jpg

To be continued . . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries

Planer Sled 2.0 - cont'd

Here's my amazingly refined and sophisticated jig to slot the support rails at 15 degrees to accept the leveling wedges:

6 Slot Jig.jpg

A little double stick tape, squared off 2x4 and some phony credit cards for shims and I can cut the 15 * wedges on the CMS:

7 Wedge Jig.jpg

And cut to length without changing the setup:

8 Wedge Jig 2.jpg

The end result is a row of adjustable supports to compensate for the irregularities of your board. The black stuff is stair tread, there's some on the wedges as well. The supports and wedges are loose. The bungee cord keeps them in place while in use and while being stored:

9 Adjustable Supports.jpg

Once adjusted the board sits still and you can plane the exposed surface. Once flat, you can set the jig aside and plane the board to thickness like usual. You want to keep the front of the board closer to the support than the distance from your infeed roller to your cutter head so that the board is under control before machining begins:

A Ready for Planer.jpg

The actual construction was not as involved as writing this post. This should tide me over till I can get a real jointer.

– Samuel Butler

Nice work Glenn, looks like a great jig. Just wish I had a planer

Corey

Blog Entries

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,
    Great job on the sled and a pictorial. What happened to the first version of the sled? I also recently build the same sled but have not used it yet. You should have seen my "15 degree jig" . I may have to build v2.0 since I didn't reference it on a flat surface when I glued and screwed it together - I bet it's not perfectly flat.

Blog Entries
    Thanks All. Just remeber this wasn't my plan; I'm just the builder. Credit to Mr. Rust where credit is due.

The first sled still lives but is nothing like the current one. It was a piece of melamine with a stop block up front to keep the board from sliding off and a boat load of screw holes where I could put 5/8" flat head screws at varying heights to adjust for wobble. It did get me through a few projects however, so I will grant it a stay of execution for the time being.

If you don't have a good reference surface you could use your table saw top providing you've got enough length. Combined with my RT I've got almost 7 feet of "pretty durn" flat surface. This is what I referenced the bench top off of that you see in the pics.

P.s. Some temporary jigs are halarious. I think they deserve to be documented in pictures because we probably wouldn't want to claim them ;-)

– Samuel Butler

Bringing an old post back to the light of day...

Glenn, I did a forum search on planer sleds for an upcoming project and this thread popped up. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Now the question - how can I download the pdf (or watch the video), without subscribing to FWW? I have no desire to become an online member or receive the magazine (I read it for free at the library). If the pdf isn't available for purchase, I'll just buy a copy of issue 175 ($7.99). Thought I'd ask first though.

Thanks,

Be well,

Doc

Don, when I joined FWW online, you could sign up for a 14 day preview. You did have to give your credit card # so that they could bill you if you stayed as a member, but if I recall (I have maintained my membership thus far) they made it pretty easy to cancel before your 14 days was up.

-Chris

Glenn, this is great. I'm going to build one of these very soon!

Here's a video for those looking for it. Not listed on youtube, but China's version of youtube (56.com) instead. Not sure why that is, but works just the same.

http://www.56.com/u97/v_Mjg4NDk3NDI.html
    Last edited by Daniel McCurdy; 02-26-2008 at 2:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    ...I'll just buy a copy of issue 175 ($7.99)...
    As of the time of this posting, it was $7.49 including shipping.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    As of the time of this posting, it was $7.49 including shipping.
    Or get it from the library and copy the pages you need

Real nice job on that Glenn!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Bringing an old post back to the light of day...

Glenn, I did a forum search on planer sleds for an upcoming project and this thread popped up. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Now the question - how can I download the pdf (or watch the video), without subscribing to FWW? I have no desire to become an online member or receive the magazine (I read it for free at the library). If the pdf isn't available for purchase, I'll just buy a copy of issue 175 ($7.99). Thought I'd ask first though.

Thanks,

Be well,

Doc
    I'm sorry Don, I wasn't ignoring you since February. This never popped up via the New Posts link (man, I wish vBulletin would fix that flaky feature). I finally built my own search strings and it caught your post. If it is not too late; they have a 14 day free trial right now: https://reg.taunton.com/account/regi...20080521100256
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-21-2008 at 10:09 AM.

– Samuel Butler

No worries Glenn - I was able to get a copy via the local library (thanks Rob).

Of course, now that I've got my 12" jointer/planer combo I doubt that I'll need the sled.

Be well,

Doc

That's coooool. Now I have another thing to put on the project list (number 5321 but who is counting ).
    I know it was here a minute ago ???