Thread: minimax mm20 mods.

minimax mm20 mods.

I am getting sore complaining about my table saw in another thread....

here is something more productive. found these pictures I have on my computer and would like to share.

hmmm, unique norfab fitting..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by john tomljenovic; 06-22-2007 at 4:11 PM.

marked and ready to cut...

the view is improved....

the after and before picture...

here is what it looks like now...

went from the 4 something inch port to a 5 inch w/ norfab connection. It seems to collect dust better now, I definately can feel more suction though the saws throat. and I have a solid clean connection with the hose.

any way, you can cut up a $3000 bandsaw and it will not self destruct.

I like your solution a lot. I used a 4" Nordfab Machine fitting, then a 4" to 5" reducer (Nordfab) and then to pipe. I'm not real happy with it and your solution is much better. Did you have that fitting made or did you make it yourself? If yourself, how did you do it? I'm a bonehead at welding.

Very cool. As I get closer to actually having a DC installation done I've been starting to think about modifying my MM16 for DC hookup lately. What did you use to cut the larger hole? That's some pretty thick metal. I've also seen some threads where folks have done a 2nd smaller outlet in the lower door for picking dust up from the cabinet then Wye-ing it into the main hose. I was kind of wondering about doing a 2nd port and maybe even doing it from the back rather than through the door, but do you still get dust buildup in the lower cabinet with the larger outlet and hose?
    Use the fence Luke

I made the fitting myself with a norfab piece and flat piece of sheet metal (14ga i think) spot welded together. then I use some seam sealer in the joint.

the norfab piece was cut with a jigsaw then the joint sanded flat with a stationary belt sander. trace the resultant ellipse to the flat stock and cut that with the jigsaw.

the norfab stuff is zinc coated, so some dangerous smoke is generated from welding. I had some good ventilation and only did a spot weld or two then backed off to let the smoke clear.

I cut the the bandsaws frame with just a jigsaw and fresh metal blade. just turn the speed down and go slow. anything you can cut with a hacksaw you can cut with a jigsaw. your only limitation is speed.
    Last edited by john tomljenovic; 06-22-2007 at 6:31 PM.

John,

Looks good! I'm considering a BB type jig to replace the "sliding section" above the original DC port. What are your thoughts and did you consider this? I realize that tilting the table will be a no-no.......but I could always go back to the original port for such insanity.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall View Post
    John,

Looks good! I'm considering a BB type jig to replace the "sliding section" above the original DC port. ..

I am planning to do that as well, but most likely out of sheet metal. the existing part is trying to do to much and you have that cutout at the bottom letting dust fall though.

I plan on just making a cover that hugs the frame tight but have the adjustment slot that goes up-down, instead go sideways and be open on the end. that way to tilt the table or access the guides you just loosen the existing adjustment knob and slide off.

hopefully a get on that in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    I was kind of wondering about doing a 2nd port and maybe even doing it from the back rather than through the door, but do you still get dust buildup in the lower cabinet with the larger outlet and hose?

I have not used it long enough to see how much dust still collects at the bottom of the door. although I have not seen it as too much of a problem, you always have to vacuum around the bandsaw regularly since they are messy regardless. I just pop open the bottom door and give it a quick one with the hose.

No matter how good your collection from the "normal" port, there is still going to be material carried by the blade into both the bottom (mostly) and top wheel housing. Nature of the beast. But the more you can collect at the source, the better! Nice mod!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...