Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0513X2 vs G0636X

Grizzly G0513X2 vs G0636X

Can anyone explain the differences between these two saws. I mean besides the obvious stuff like motor size and re-saw height. The G0636X weighs nearly twice the G0513X2 (620lbs vs 352lbs). The motor size difference doesn't account for 268lbs. The G0636X even weighs more than the G0531 which is a 5hp, 21" saw.

IMHO the Grizzly site doesn't really do much to sell the G0636X. I would like to see a better explanation of why this saw is "actually better than any bandsaw on the market in its size range."

Totally different class of saw. Looks like the 636 is trying to compete in the MM16 and Laguna 16 space. The extra resaw height means a lot more weight in the frame to keep from flexing. Also imagining that since it is competing in the MM16 space everything about it is thicker and beefier. If I were in the market I think I would still opt for an MM16 (well actually I think I would go with the Agazzani B20 but that's a different story).

I'd like to know the diiference between the G0531 and the G0636x. Although one is a 21" and the other a 17" they seem to have very similiar specs and costs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hedges View Post
    Totally different class of saw. Looks like the 636 is trying to compete in the MM16 and Laguna 16 space. The extra resaw height means a lot more weight in the frame to keep from flexing. Also imagining that since it is competing in the MM16 space everything about it is thicker and beefier. If I were in the market I think I would still opt for an MM16 (well actually I think I would go with the Agazzani B20 but that's a different story).

John is right on the money. The G0636 was developed to directly compete with the MM and Laguna models. I think if you compared it to those two, you'd find them similar.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

That is very true the MM16, LT16HD and G0636X do all have similar features. However the G0531 also has similar features but is much bigger machine. This larger machine is also cheaper. What am I paying for with the G0636X? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the larger machine?

I love high quality equipment and believe it usually worth it to pay too much for something. It's like the ol' saying "Which is worse paying too much for something that does exactly what it is supposed to do, or paying too little for something that doesn't do what it is supposed to do?" The kicker is, does the more expensive machine get me more something? I suspect it does and hope an owner of the 636 can tell me.

I have a WW buddy who is keenly interested in this topic.

I would be, too, if I hadn't just bought a band saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wiebe View Post
    That is very true the MM16, LT16HD and G0636X do all have similar features. However the G0531 also has similar features but is much bigger machine. This larger machine is also cheaper. What am I paying for with the G0636X? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the larger machine?

I love high quality equipment and believe it usually worth it to pay too much for something. It's like the ol' saying "Which is worse paying too much for something that does exactly what it is supposed to do, or paying too little for something that doesn't do what it is supposed to do?" The kicker is, does the more expensive machine get me more something? I suspect it does and hope an owner of the 636 can tell me.
    I always aim for the 'sweet spot'.

It would be great if Shiraz would comment.

Kevin, the 21" saw is only bigger at the throat. I would actually consider it a smaller saw since it has less resaw height. I'm sure most of the extra cost on the 636 is the large amount of steel required in the frame to keep from flexing when you tension a blade that big with such a large opening.

No question in my mind that I'd buy the 636 if I were in the market for a bandsaw. In fact, I'll probably order one in the near future. Just have to sell my 514X first!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Bukoski View Post
    Kevin, the 21" saw is only bigger at the throat. I would actually consider it a smaller saw since it has less resaw height. I'm sure most of the extra cost on the 636 is the large amount of steel required in the frame to keep from flexing when you tension a blade that big with such a large opening.

No question in my mind that I'd buy the 636 if I were in the market for a bandsaw. In fact, I'll probably order one in the near future. Just have to sell my 514X first!

So a MM16 is a bigger bandsaw than a Agazzani B-24?
    I'm not sure that resaw height is the end-all-do-all of bandsaw specs.
    Many would argue that the bigger wheels are the more important spec. I've always found grizzly's product line hard to decipher.

It really depends on what you do with the saw. I have never needed a bigger throat opening on my BS but I have wished for more re-saw height.

And no the Agazzani is 15 3/4 in resaw height whereas the mm16 is 12" so by my metric the agazzani is bigger

It really depends on what you do with the saw. I have never needed a bigger throat opening on my BS but I have wished for more re-saw height.

And no the Agazzani is 15 3/4 in resaw height whereas the mm16 is 12" so by my metric the agazzani is bigger
    FWIW: the MM16 has a 16" resaw height.

I always thought the newer MM16s had a 16-inch resaw height or thereabouts.

David you are right, I looked at the wrong saw from MM. So yeah, personally I'd consider it "bigger" by a 1/4in but in my book that's close enough to be the same.

David you are right, I looked at the wrong saw from MM. So yeah, personally I'd consider it "bigger" by a 1/4in but in my book that's close enough to be the same.
    Both of them may be really nice saws, but a 24" Agazzani and a 16" Minimax are not the same size, regardless of the resaw height.

I think the import factor in choosing re-saw height is the size of the jointer and planer you have. Except for maybe turners prepping large stock or ripping your own lumber out of logs you are going to be putting these freshly re-sawn boards through planers and jointers at some point. I have an 8" jointer and 15" planer which I think is pretty typical for most non-production shops. What am I going to do with 16" of re-saw height?

That wasn't really my question though. I would like to quantify how the 636 is better. Grizzly's site claims, "It is our opinion that this saw is actually better than any bandsaw on the market in its size range. Check out the features below and you will agree!" Please tell me why. The list of features is the same or very similar to many other saws some of which are much larger. All things being equal or very close to equal I will buy that larger saw (G0531).