Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendation for carving chisels

recommendation for carving chisels

Ok! I think I am close to the tipping point for carving tools. They are inexcusably expensive on eBay, and the local action is thin.

What I have been reading so far is to stick with a good maker and accumulate over time. So considering the sale at woodcraft online (there isn't one in Arkansas so we do not pay any sales taxes) what would be a good beginner selection within the Pfeil system. The project at hand is a shell, similar to one shown in the "Carving Techniques and Projects) DVD by Taunton.

I have an older (W. Butcher I think) gouge, 1" wide no idea about the sweep (probably a #9), and a detail carving set.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Waiting, waiting, still waiting…

Zahid, I want to see what people say so I don't have to ask the same question.

I did notice another thread yesterday about combining several Pfeil tool deals at woodcraft.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    I suppose the answer will really depend on what you are carving, but my experience with early American motifs says start with sweeps #2, #3, #5, #7, and maybe #8 or #9 and then widths 5, 8, and 12mm. These will get you quite a long way. A veiner and some small #11s (1 and 2mm) are useful as well. Add more specific gouges as the need arises.

I just saw your post on the other thread. Congratulations on the new chisels. Which chisels does Chris Pye recommend?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Here's what I recommend as a good general starting set. All are in the Pfeil system:

#2/5 Used a lot
    #2/8 Good follow up purchase. Not necessary for first purchase
    #2/19 Used a good bit for roughing a convex shell
    #3/5 Used a lot but not as much as the 2/5
    #3/12 Good follow-up purchase
    #5/5
    #5/10
    #7/14
    The 8's are usually used for shell work. You can do without them and only get them if you do a lot of shell work
    #8/2
    #8/4
    #8/7
    #8/10
    #8/13
    The reason you need so many is that the flutes change size as they go from outside to inside.
    #9/10
    #11/2
    #12/6 V-tool. You'll use this a lot. Learn to sharpen it well. Some tricks in shaping it. Contact me and I'll expand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike I knew I'd hear from your soon. The $20 off on $100 sale was ending last night so I had to put an order before midnight. The $25 off $100 for Pfeil is still on as well as free shipping over $75.

I had a page bookmarked from Chiris Pye's site I ordered a smaller subset from it.
    #2-12mm
    #7-14mm
    #9-13mm
    #12-8mm.
    Once I get the coupons I will add some more from the list you recommend.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Everyone has their own style. I find I use small, flat gouges the most and use the deeper and/or wider gouges for special work. I do think you're going to find that #12/8 a bit big. In theory all V gouges come to a point so you should be able to use any size, but in practice it doesn't work that way. If you're going to do small work, think of getting a smaller V gouge. And look at Pfeil's D size V-tools. They're a bit easier to handle for small work.

Good luck in your carving!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have this set from LV so I went a little big on the Pfeils. I will still add about 3 more when I get the rebate coupon.

My Shell Experience

Zahid, my first carving experience was a shell. (see www.eyman.org/furniture for a picture) I had almost no carving tools; so had to buy everything needed. The two absolutely critical were the no. 25 backbent gouge, and no. 11 veiner. There were others, but these two were absolutely necessary.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Zahid,

One type of carving tool I find especially useful is the outcannel style chisels. They are the ones that are bent backwards with the bevel on the outside of the sweep. They are great for all clean up work from carvings to complex moldings.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Steve, is this what you were referring to as outcannel.

Carl, I have seen your furniture pages before, you carvings are very precise and clean. I enjoy looking at them every time. I have $45 in the gift coupons from my earlier purchase, perhaps I can add one more chisel and get one each from the recommendations of you, Steve and Mike.

Those are the ones Zahid. Also I prefer a more shallow sweep.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Which chisels does Chris Pye recommend?
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Here's the link to what Chris Pye recommends for beginners.

http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/...kts.html#basic

Here are Nora Hall's recommended starting chisels:
    #3 (12mm)
    #5 (6mm)
    #7 (14mm)
    #9 (12mm)
    #11 (3mm)
    #39 (10mm) V-tool
    #5 (12mm)

You can get a lot more useful information at http://www.norahall.com/

Pam

Hey Z,

All it takes is a few $$$ and you can "start" with some nice Two Cherries.

So Here I sit....with 3 new carving tools and no clue what to do with them yet....except look at them and admire them.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.