Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Side.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Question The Dark Side.

So I’m reading my new spinney thingy book thinking, No Way in this lifetime and then it occurs to me "Multi-tasking". I can’t get Grizz to cough up spec sheets on these. Can’t compare speeds other than they are variable. Is it heard of to cross boundaries and medium with one machine???
    In English. Can I make brass pulleys, steal sheaves, and wooden FPs with this Lathe?
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G8688
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-02-2004 at 9:22 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler,

I have experience on a metal lathe but zero on a wood lathe. However, speaking from that (limited) experience, I don't see why wood couldn't be spun on a metal lathe. I spun aluminum, steel, brass and all sorts of plastics and made a mess everywhere. I think wood should work out okay.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Tyler, you "can" spin wood on a metal lathe, although they are not set up ideally for it. Metal turning isn't normally done with hand-held tooling, so you'll need to make some adaptations if you choose to go that route. Actually, it's probably easier in some respects to turn brass and aluminum on a wood lathe, although obviously not with the precision you get on a metal lathe. One other thing...it appears from the specs of the unit you posted that the headstock doesn't have a taper. That means you'll need to use a drive center that mounts in a chuck to drive spindles and/or get other turnings started.

Me thinks you may be better off picking up that little beauty for its intended use and springing for something like a Jet VS mini for your "personal indroduction to the addiction"!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tyler last week i made a new tool rest for my Jet 1236 on my Jet 1236 out of steel pipe i just chucked it right up in the old super nova and had right at it grantrd i only had to file off a few thousanths to get it to fit in the rest holder but if i can spin metal on my wood lathe why the heck cant you spin wood on your metal lathe huh!!! Bud
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Tyler,

I have a metal lathe in my shop and I always will have one in my shop! The little Griz will make your brass pulleys & steal sheaves & much more. My 14X40 only has a max RPM of 2000. It will turn wood ok, but not great - a lot more sanding is required because of the slower rpm's compared to a wood lathe. I have never tried using regular wood turning tools on it, maybe they would help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-01-2004 at 6:19 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks so much gents. Like everything else, A whole new vocabulary. Going to have to read up a little more.
    I'm not being seduced mind you just reading the book.

It's OK flat landers. It was a moment of weekness I'll be OK!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Bravo, Bruce! In my experience of working on a metal lathe, I found them to be invaluable for making all kinds of stuff. I can't tell you how many times in doing normal household maintenance that a lathe would have come in handy. That and a nice mill would work out great. Gee, now where to put all this crap I must have!?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Bravo, Bruce! In my experience of working on a metal lathe, I found them to be invaluable for making all kinds of stuff. I can't tell you how many times in doing normal household maintenance that a lathe would have come in handy. That and a nice mill would work out great. Gee, now where to put all this crap I must have!?
    I Just fabbed a crank extension for my TS left tilt mech. Could have used a lathe to whip up some of the parts from stock and junk parts I had around the house. I'm going to use those BS guides for something yet!

Thnaks again

But honey! Chris said I needed it for routine house maint.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-02-2004 at 8:40 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Thanks Chris. My lathe & mill have come in handy a countless number of times. Having spent the first 30 years of my working life as a prototype machinist & technical liaison, there’s not much that I can’t make with them – even if they aren’t CNC! Now, if my woodworking skills were only half as good…
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, with that kind of background, I would think ww'ing would naturally flow out of being an expert machinist! You should strive for a nice complement of metal within your woodworking...it could be the next fad!

Tyler,

If your interested, Little Machine Shop has a tool rest and drive spur for the SIEG mini lathes:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1685

As far as speed, there are two ranges 0-1100, and 0-2500 (or 3000 on some models)
    http://www.littlemachineshop.com/Inf...he_compare.php

If you didn't notice, LMS has a lot of info on these little lathes. If you have additional questions on the mini-lathe, ping me.

I bought one from Homier for making parts to repair WW equipment.
    (with heavy breathing Darth Vader style)
    Tyler - The dark side is calling you . . . the saga continues

Wes

Way to go Tyler,

Looking at the PDF manual on the Grizzley site, the spindle does in fact have a taper #3MT. Now for me the 20mm spindle bore would be the prohibitive factor as it would limit me with my gunsmithing. I would require a lathe much more like Bruce's, his Mill would be great for this as well.

I have an old flat belt driven Logan lathe and an old belt driven Bridgeport mill (both are 120 V AC Single phase) and are invaluable when you need to make something. The lathe as Bruce said is not a good wood turner, so I use it exclusively for metals and use the older el-cheapo chinese square tube lathe for long spindles and I'll be using the new mini lathe I picked up from Penn State Ind. for pens, etc.

Anyway, Tyler - Welcome to "The Dark Side" be careful, though - they say it can become addictive.

But wait!

Think of all the accents you can now make to enhance the furniture and other square & flat stuff you are already familiar with. Maybe it's not so "DARK" after All!!!!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Thumbs up

Looking at the PDF manual on the Grizzley site, the spindle does in fact have a taper #3MT. Now for me the 20mm spindle bore would be the prohibitive factor as it would limit me with my gunsmithing. I would require a lathe much more like Bruce's, his Mill would be great for this as well.

I have an old flat belt driven Logan lathe and an old belt driven Bridgeport mill (both are 120 V AC Single phase) and are invaluable when you need to make something. The lathe as Bruce said is not a good wood turner, so I use it exclusively for metals and use the older el-cheapo chinese square tube lathe for long spindles and I'll be using the new mini lathe I picked up from Penn State Ind. for pens, etc.

What?
    Thanks Kurt. Still picking up the lingo. But really ...... I was just reading the book.....No fooling..... I couldn't go there. That's the dark side. What about all my flat lander friends??

You guys break me up! ROTFLMAO. The phone is ringing off the hook. Stack of messages, Lotus notes is full of nasty grams. And the Creek guys come through big time again. Thanks. You start this and every day off right.
    Wes, Kurt, Jim, John, Bruce, .......writers cramp too many to name You're alright.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 04-02-2004 at 11:57 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell

You guys break me up! ROTFLMAO. The phone is ringing of the hook. Stack of messages, Lotus notes is full of nasty grams. And the Creek guys come through big time again. Thanks. You start this and every day of right.
    Wes, Kurt, Jim, John, Bruce, .......writers cramp too many to name You're alright.
    So, Tyler....Did you want me to chuck up something BIG on the Vega or get some pen blanks ready to turn on the old Yorkie for Sunday? Your choice, as I have either/both available. Let's see...You want to be in Beer City by six. Two and a half hour drive from my place. I'm usually out in the shop on Sundays by about 9:00. Why heck, that would give us about six hours of spinny time! The little Yorkie isn't "for sale"....YET...But you just never know....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

One major draw back to turning wood on a metal lathe is the way the apron assembly is designed to travel. It rides on "ways" that should have a continual film of oil on them. The wood shavings will absorb the oil, make a general mess, and can get under the apron. DAMHIKT The apron on my 16x40 weighs about 200 pounds! Try unbolting one and holding it up at the same time!

David