Thread: Trend Router

Trend Router

Can anyone tell me about the Trend T4 1/4" variable speed router?
    It looks good. I need a smaller router for inlays and other jobs that a large router would be cumbersome with.
    Thank you.

Better routers out there. Look at the Bosh colt. Dewalt has a nice one. Porta Cable trim router is a work horse.
    John T.

LOML got me the T3 at Woodcraft a couple days after Christmas. I love it, and every time I talk about it to someone at the store, they usually remark about how good they are for inlays. All I know is, the weight is nice and light, power is fine for what it is, and the T4 has 1 HP versus my 3/4 HP. The plunge base is very nice, and a lot cheaper than the $400 aftermarket one for the Colt. IMHO it is a real good deal. Maybe a pro needs more, but this weekender couldn't be happier.

The latest issue of Woodsmith has an article about the Trend and Colt routers.

You might want to check that out.

At the other end of the spectrum is the Grizzly trim router. At $40 it's well worth it's price. In fact, you could get 2 for the price of a Colt and have your favorite bits permanently chucked.

It certainly doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive versions, but I find that I only reach for my trim router out of convenience; i use it primarily for knocking chamfers or roundovers off of just about everything. For any 'serious' work, I still reach for my Bosch 1617. You just can't beat the larger base and 1/2" shank for plunge work, deep flush trims, pattern work, or any bit longer than 1/2"
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-20-2008 at 3:46 PM.

So ...

... what do they say about them.. in a nut shell..

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Rowe View Post
    The latest issue of Woodsmith has an article about the Trend and Colt routers.

You might want to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    ... what do they say about them.. in a nut shell..
    Nothing bad about either one of them, but all other trim routers are conspicuously absent from the article. The article is titled: "Why you need a trim router" or similar.

To owners of the Grizzly trim router, does it seem like a quality tool? I bought a cheap trim router from Menards a while back and wound up returning it. It was the biggest (smallest?) piece of !#$% tool I've ever had. The collet was almost too hot to touch after a simple operation, leading me to believe it didn't even have ball bearings. (on a 30k RPM tool!!?) The collet froze the bit in every time. Even leaving a little room beneath the bit, it was frozen in there solid.

Now, I'm highly suspicious of off-brand routers and Chinese-branded tools in general. I'll save my pennies and get the VS colt.

I have a feeling Jerry is asking this question because he knows the Bosch is respected, but hadn't hear of the Trend router. I know that was my first thought after reading that article.

I'm happy with my Grizzly. It ain't no ferari, but it cuts fine and smoothly. The collet doesn't heat up abnormally. It's easy to get bits in and out. It holds nicely in the hand and is quite stable.

Not to hijack...

I am personally interested in Trend only because of the plunge capability. Other than the $400 Microfence base, I don't know any other router (in trim router size) with plunge capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    To owners of the Grizzly trim router, does it seem like a quality tool?
    I own the Grizzly and as a small plunge router it works smoothly, and I haven't had any heat problems at all.

Two things that are a little annoying .. first, the on/off switch doesn't lock on, you have to keep pressing it down for the router to work. Takes a while to get used to.

Second, I haven't been able to find a way to get standard PC tempate guides on it.

Regarding the Woodsmith article .. it isn't really a review per se, it describes the difference between the fixed base Colt, and the plunge functions on the Trend along with the various accessories that either come with the units, or are available for them.

I realize this is an old thread, but I just bought one of these Trend T4 routers, and it broke the first time I used it. 1/4" deep dado in pine, something broke internally and is bouncing around. Turned it off, then back on, but no dice. I'll be testing their customer service out real soon.

Although I am a Colt fan but for a plunge base I would take a look at the MLCS Marvel 40 plus it is on sale for $90 now.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...n1_router.html
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-22-2010 at 8:19 PM.

I have the colt, T3 and the RotoZip, all basically small 1/4" trim routers. I use the Bosch as a standard small fixed base router, the T3 is mounted on my lathe via a oneway drillwizzard (43mm collar) and the rotozip is used with roughing burrs. You can never have too many trim routers

I've got the T3 and it's a nice little plunge router. The handles and plunge base make it a little easier for my wife to handle than the Colt. If you get a really good price on the T4 ($75 or so) I think you'll be pleased with it. No substitute for a Colt though. If you can't have both, get a Colt. If you need plunge, I think it's lots cheaper to get Trend than to get a plunge base for the Colt.

Updating my last post, again realizing this is an old thread--called Trend to see how to ship my broken T4 to them, and they said don't bother. Just junk it, and they'll send me a replacement. I'd have been happy with a repair, but I'm good with replacement. Just thought it was fair to give an update since last week I posted about it breaking, and Trend deserves credit for a quick and painless fix.