Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good News / Bad News

Good News / Bad News

Bad News:
    The company I went to work for Jan 2, 1986 will be closing sometime next month. I'm 60 years old and get to look for a job. The last time I filled out a job application computers were something you heard of, but probably didn't know of anyone that had one.

Good News:
    This will be comping home to live with me! It's a 19 inch with large table and electric brake.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (189.5 KB, 127 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (215.5 KB, 87 views)

And you won't have a job to interfere with your woodworking schedule.
    Aj

I'm sorry to hear about the company's closing John. That's a tough break.
    Nice bandsaw!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've got that exact saw less the brake - didn't offer that when I got mine or I would have gotten it. Had it about 10 years now - only thing I've ever had to do was replace the bearings as they got to where they were singing a little bit. They weren't loose - just noisy. I've been very happy with mine. I've since added an 18 inch Jet to keep a smaller blade on as I hate changing from resaw to a smaller blade constantly. The Grizzly is definitely the re-sawing king with that 3 HP motor.

Sorry about the job - at least around here the job market is very good. Might be fate pushing the opportunity door wide open. I hope so for you.
    Last edited by Rick Alexander; 12-19-2017 at 7:50 AM.

Darned nice band saw, sorry about your job.

You will find something, trust me.

Signing in to a new job is different now than it was in 1986. You have to prove you're a legal resident of the US. And you're likely to have to take a drug test, just to apply for a job.

Like everybody else, sorry to hear about the job. And nice about the "going away" present.

I was just talking with my sister about this last night. She is looking for a different job after 30 years. She went to an employment service with her resume. And got told "yeah, it looks like a resume from 35 years ago..." They did help her reformat it and tweak it up, but can't do too much with two "real" jobs in 35 years. She is retiring, but wants to keep doing some part time work to keep active and some extra cash.

Congratulations on the bandsaw. I wish you good luck on finding a new job. I learned the hard way that it is very difficult to find a job after 60. While it is illegal for them to ask your age, it doesn't take a genius to see that you aren't 35. Then there are the online applications; never enough room to put in all the relevant experience. Stay strong and know that you aren't alone in this.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's always disheartening when a firm that's been around for a long time and has long-term employees makes the decision to discontinue operations. And yes, while experience should count and make these folks attractive hires, the world sometimes makes things more challenging. But this, too, shall pass! Treat it like an opportunity!

And congrats on the nice new bandsaw. You'll enjoy working with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John, sorry to hear about your job situation but it seems like people are hiring again at least around here. You just have to find someone who doesn't think that young and cheap are the way to go. I was faced with trying to find a job in 2008, it was a long dry spell.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the new saw. Don't give up if you want to work. I decided to look for a new job at 58 and was worried that someone might not hire me. I used the fact that I was more experienced than new graduates. There is no reason to reveal your age nor retirement plans and it is illegal for an prospective employer to ask either question. Just be sure to list your complete work history on your resume. With regard to computers, be honest with your existing abilities, but say you are willing to learn new skills. Obviously you know enough about them to participate here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Nice saw John. Please keep an open mind when it comes to your job search. It may be a rewarding adventure.

I worked for myself from age 20 until age 40. I was lucky in my work and investments. I was almost addicted to my work until the last year or so when I got addicted to windsurfing! At 40 I decided to retire and travel to windsurf year round. I settled down a little at 55 and built my dream home.
    Now I'm 66 and life is good. But the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I volunteer in the non windy season but I miss working. I feel spoiled. I miss getting paid for a job well done. To design and make something that a client loves is like a spiritual thing for me. I don't miss the taxes, insurance and working 70 hour weeks so I choose to live commitment free.
    Sometimes I wish I had to work. If all my investments disappeared I'd love to work at our local hardware store. I'd love to recapture that feeling of being hungry for work that I had when I first started my own woodworking business. But alas, I'm spoiled!

Good luck, John.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Sorry to hear about your job. I almost was in that position at 57 and about 11 months. I could retire at 58 but only if I was working at that point. I took a demotion to stay employed. It has worked out OK. A little less income but then one of the companies that used to own us offered to start paying retirement early. They wanted you to take a lump sum but I took the annuity. The pension puts me back where I was.

My son has had to find a job twice in the last year or so. My daughter moved for her husband's job and was out of work for most of a year. I've been fortunate to work for the same employer since 1979. If I had to, I could retire now. Nice option to have.

GREAT score on that saw.
    I started my job also in 1986 right out of high school. It was with a retailer just starting out.
    Fast forward to 2010. After 24 years of employment I walked in one day and found out we were closing down. Needless to say I was shocked. It was my job for 24 years and thought I would retire from there. Never thought of looking for a job.
    I found a job that I liked a lot and after 2 years they moved out of state. I was looking once again.
    Long story short. I hated losing my job of 24 years but has turned out to be the best thing happen to me. I now have a job with regular hours and weekends / holidays off. After working retail for 24 years. that is a BIG DEAL.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-20-2017 at 6:18 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Bad News:
    The company I went to work for Jan 2, 1986 will be closing sometime next month. I'm 60 years old and get to look for a job.
    Hey John - noted you were in Missouri and was thinking of you this morning when I heard that Bass Pro Shops in Missouri is acquiring Cabellas. Just looked and they're in Southern Missouri. Lots of economic change happening - best of luck on the job search.