Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freud Dial-a-Width Dado questions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ole, a lot of accidents with dado blades are because of the force they exert on the workpiece...especially when folks attempt to "hog it out", rather than take lighter cuts like you mention.
    I guess I was just thinking of how I normally use a dado blade: to do rabbit or dado cuts to half depth of 3/4" material.
    NOW you tell me...

Johnny,
    I bought the 608 at the same time I bought the ICS. A Sawstop rep was in a Woodcraft store when I bought it, in fact he recommended it. But, to be honest the 608 had just come out and they may have more experience with them now. Fortunately, I haven't had the dado fire. I can't say the same about the regular cartridge. . No real accident just a "mishap" with an Incra miter gage. I don't cut deep dados, and If I do, I'll remember your advice. Thanks,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I guess I was just thinking of how I normally use a dado blade: to do rabbit or dado cuts to half depth of 3/4" material.
    Don't underestimate the enthusiasm that humans can sometimes have when working with spinning blades...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim. To clarify, when I cut the 1/2 x 1/2" dado in hard maple in one pass, the stock was held down tightly to the table by JessEm guides, and pressed tightly against the fence by two mag switch feather boards. Without those, I probably would have done two or three passes.

Another very useful feature of this dado set is that the width adjustment wheel can be swapped to the left or the right of the cutting blades. It comes out of the box on the left (arbor facing) side, which was a problem for my PM66. Swapping it to the right side was a major improvement because the adjustment wheel has an indent for the arbor nut, as a result I gained about 5/8" of arbor length. Also, it allows me to adjust the width of the dado set without removing it from the arbor, just loosen the arbor nut and turn the width adjustment wheel. Thought this might be helpful info. Also replaced the MDF throat plate I made with a Leecraft phenolic zero clearance insert, which is much heavier and more stable than the MDF.

Len