Thread: Gotta love spokeshaves

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gotta love spokeshaves

I have to admit, it has been quite a learning curve. Starting with a Stanley 151, it was hours of frustration...sharpening, chatter, too thick, too thin...I’m sure many have been through it. But I have to say, it’s turned into hours of enjoyment. I’ve come to really love these tools. Almost to the point I’m sad when I’ve “reached the scribe line”.

I fairly well solved the sharpening with the jig Paul Sellers features. Works well, and gave me the confidence to do repeatable touch ups. And while the 151 has quite a bit of backlash in the adjustments, it’s something you come to get used to. And as many know, one side a little fat and one side a little thin isn’t a bad thing.

I wanted to try other spokeshaves and purchased a Woodjoy #85. Beautifully crafted. Given it’s narrow blade, I adopted Paul Sellers method of bringing the files to the blade vs trying to take the blade to the stones. Again, this is working well.

One thing I’ve noticed is the 151 seems to register better. I get more undulations with the Woodjoy. Don’t know exactly why. The soles are similar in size, but the angle of the iron is different. I think I may be tilting the Woodjoy down to engage the iron and not utilizing the full sole...not sure. It’s better when I tilt it sideways a bit, but haven’t mastered the full smooth shaving yet. It’s a great shave and can make wonderful thin shavings...just need to work with it more. I’m sure it’s technique. If anyone has any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Here’s a recent table shelf I’ve been working on. Initially cut out with bowsaw and fret saw, and finished with the spokeshaves. I’m looking forward to another project with curves!

CB0DA0ED-7658-4EDA-84FA-4C5829881592.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-04-2018 at 8:42 PM.