Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid looking, or go with it?

Stupid looking, or go with it?

This is already glued up and 5 coats of finish on it. Part of me says to cut the end off flush but I can’t bring myself to cut off one of the most interesting parts of the table top. That said the hard right angle looks odd. Will be sitting on simple iron pipe stand.

Does it work though since it’s a natural edge table made from two different slabs, or look totally stupid?

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701197489-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701197487-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701191573-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701191642-4.jpg

http://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2701206729-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-05-2018 at 7:12 PM.

While I can appreciate that you, um...appreciate...that small section of the slab on the left side that extends farther, it's going to look really funky unless you do trim it off flush. I'm guessing that this piece was designed for a specific place and you're now repurposing it? I'd trim it, refinish just the end and mount it on your stand to make a very attractive table. You have a lot of depth in that piece already and it should make up for the tiny percentage of it that would be removed. (which you could use for something interesting and artful, most likely)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I can appreciate that you, um...appreciate...that small section of the slab on the left side that extends farther, it's going to look really funky unless you do trim it off flush. I'm guessing that this piece was designed for a specific place and you're now repurposing it? I'd trim it, refinish just the end and mount it on your stand to make a very attractive table. You have a lot of depth in that piece already and it should make up for the tiny percentage of it that would be removed. (which you could use for something interesting and artful, most likely)

Jim, that’s what my wife just said too. It is to be a coffee table and I originally intended to cut the ends flush but I just really like that little nub. LOL. Guess I will make something else from it after I trim it down. Happy wife..............

I would cut it off and use that piece for a small project. Another option would be to shape/curve the ends to eliminate the right angle but incorporate the figured piece you like. Beautiful timber and the pipe base is great too. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Whatever you do with the end of the slab (I like Wayne's idea to cut a curve so you can retain that figured end), don't forget to elongate the holes in the cross-supports to allow for seasonal movement.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

It would be a shame to cut that piece with the interesting grain.

What about filling that "spot" with something complementary to the industrial look? Thick, frosted acrylic? Diamond plate? Copper-clad...?

Edit to add: How about a inset storage cubby? Remote control storage?
    Last edited by Dan Friedrichs; 01-05-2018 at 8:03 PM.

I would cut it flush

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    It would be a shame to cut that piece with the interesting grain.

What about filling that "spot" with something complementary to the industrial look? Thick, frosted acrylic? Diamond plate? Copper-clad...?

Edit to add: How about a inset storage cubby? Remote control storage?

Interesting idea. Not sure I can visualize a way to add something that would look right or blend though.

Blog Entries
    Cut it flush...You need to route and put steel in the table rather than the screwed bds...

I would cut it flush-- and I urge you to pay attention to James Morgan (post #5)-- if you don't allow for wood movement, you could have a problem later.

I agree that it looks funky sticking out like that. Cut it off and use it to make some coasters. It will look more natural with both edges trimmed straight. And you will have the most interesting coasters, plus a story to go along with it.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    I would cut it off and use that piece for a small project. Another option would be to shape/curve the ends to eliminate the right angle but incorporate the figured piece you like. Beautiful timber and the pipe base is great too. Cheers
    That was my first thought too on seeing the first photo. I think it would look purposefully dynamic instead of accidentally mismatched.

JKJ

Referencing the first picture, I probabaly would have moved the pic on the right down so the two highly figured parts stay intact and the less figured far end gets lopped off. Too late for that probably. Cut off the figured end then.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Referencing the first picture, I probabaly would have moved the pic on the right down so the two highly figured parts stay intact and the less figured far end gets lopped off. Too late for that probably. Cut off the figured end then.
    In hindsight that would have looked best but at this point it would involve slicing them back apart, and starting from scratch. Not sure it’s worth that.

Another vote to cut it flush. Make a bowl out of that cut off and put it on the coffee table.

Priceless grain is worthless if the form isn’t good.