I'm building the $110 workbench from Jay Bates plans but using Oak instead of Home Depot wood. This is my first bench and I am a newbie woodworker so I am absolutely puzzled with everything involving the holes for bench dogs. Pretty much the only thing that I do know about them is that I'm going to want them LOL

At first I was really worried about the spacing now I still don't know what spacing I should use but I'm not as worried about it because it seems it's very subjective, now I'm wondering how to even make the holes since I have a few options. My tabletop will consist of glued up 2x6x6 for a 6in thick top. To make that happen with the tools I have and the limitations of my jointer and planer I will have to do the top and three or four sections before gluing those sections together.

I'm worried that if I try to drill the dog holes in each section with the drill press before gluing them up I will end up screwing the pooch and they won't line up right but on the other hand I don't have the slightest idea how I would make it work trying to drill them all in the top after it is complete without having them angled Every Witch Way.