Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shortage or strong demand for used machinery?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    If there’s little or no interest , then the market has spoken. It doesn’t really matter what you think , it’s what the market thinks.
    Of course it does. I have no need to sell anything. If I had to sell it, it is only worth what I can get. But I don't, so the utility of keeping it is worth more to me than the money.

And the thread is about shortage or strong demand. So if a reasonable price generates little interest, then there isn't strong demand. That would be a buyers market. Reasonable is subjective but I'm selling it for less than 40% of purchase MSRP, it is in good shape, has a lot of extras etc.

I've got a pretty firm grasp on economics, but thanks.

Back in 2001, I bought a Jet JJ6csx closed stand 6" jointer for just under $500. Finally soid it this past year. I had guys fighting to get there to pay me $750. This same jointer model is still current and now sells for around $1,500. Not sure why, but these old Jets are still in demand, at least in the Chicagoland area. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Of course it does. I have no need to sell anything. If I had to sell it, it is only worth what I can get. But I don't, so the utility of keeping it is worth more to me than the money.

And the thread is about shortage or strong demand. So if a reasonable price generates little interest, then there isn't strong demand. That would be a buyers market. Reasonable is subjective but I'm selling it for less than 40% of purchase MSRP, it is in good shape, has a lot of extras etc.

I've got a pretty firm grasp on economics, but thanks.
    But Jacob, the market value and hence demand is set by completed transactions, a completed transaction must occur to get a meaningful data point. What you describe is not actually letting the market determine either, you describe the process for assessing the value of a machine to you. Equally valuable thing to asses, but completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Greif View Post
    Back in 2001, I bought a Jet JJ6csx closed stand 6" jointer for just under $500. Finally soid it this past year. I had guys fighting to get there to pay me $750. This same jointer model is still current and now sells for around $1,500. Not sure why, but these old Jets are still in demand, at least in the Chicagoland area. Go figure.
    I bought the same model in July 2021 for about $300 with the fees at an auction, and it's a handy machine, the best jointer I have had. Not sure I'd want to pay $750 for one, but maybe. My last jointer was a 6" Rockwell for $50, so what I did pay seemed like a lot in comparison.

Totally anecdotal, but here there doesn't seem to be a shortage, quite the opposite. One of the local equipment stores had more used equipment than I've ever seen on hand. Their prices aren't great, but they're not retail either, and just filled to the brim. Usually I see 3-4 items, last time I was there, like 20-30. I also agree with the comments about things being regional, but I also think the supply chain has gotten better, and the demands have gone down.

buying machinery is a job. i try to never buy when I need it but before hand. I see no point saying its this or its that because there are times its not. Ive never had any trouble finding good machines at good prices. Ive been burned twice but it was likely more incompetence than lack of integrity or really it was both, both were high school woodworking shops. They are the arm pit of the woodworking world.

The only regrets I have are the times there were machines up that I wanted but life was just too busy to take on anymore.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-11-2022 at 12:00 PM.

I’d very much differ than OWWM is for boomers looking for nostalgia. Yes the fully restored and very bolt polished, maybe, but in general old iron can be had for a much lower price and perform better than new machines. Plenty of professional shops running old iron, and plenty of young people have fought the bug. Paying new prices is just dumb IMO, unless you have zero mechanical competency and couldn’t change a worn bearing to save your life.

I would agree that there are plenty of flippers trying to catch the reselling wave especially when we had more machine shortages in the past couple years. Sole prices for old used machines that need work are silly. But deals are out there if you know where to look.

Matt, I prob. should have been more specific and said the fellas over at OWWM that are complaining about machines not selling now are the flippers catering to the nostalgic crowd.

will see how this one goes. Link doesnt seem to work for me here but Cutler Forest Products early this week. Okay try this one think its working

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...id-bscinf10366
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-12-2022 at 8:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    will see how this one goes. Link doesnt seem to work for me here but Cutler Forest Products early this week. Okay try this one think its working

https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...id-bscinf10366
    Wish that was about 1000 miles closer.

I concur with the machine flippers are now more prominent. I saw a Powermatic model 27 shaper 5HP 3 Ph for sale on FB Marketplace 2 weeks ago, for $1100. The shaper appeared to be in very good condition although the rear door seemed to be missing. I currently own 4 Powermatic 26's, 2 are 2Hp and 2 are 3 HP. Each one is setup for a different operation. I wanted the 27 because it has a slightly better fence system, built in dust port and 5HP would be better for raising panels. Curiously, it only had a 3/4 inch spindle. I have (2) 1 1/4 spindles in the rat hole that need bearings and some other work. I was going to sell one of the 3HP shapers if I could buy this shaper. I immediately inquired and was told the machine was already sold and gone.

A few hours later, 2.5 hours to be exact, the same machine was listed on FB Marketplace and Craigslist for sale for $2,500 about 65 miles away from the original location. At $1100 I thought the price was fair and perhaps a little low. Keep in mind (3) of the 4 Powermatic Model 26's I purchased were $800.00. The 4 was $1200 but came with a Steff large Power feeder and literally thousands of dollars in cutters from Freeborn, Infinity and Grizzly. Two of the machines were in excellent condition and 2 were in very good condition. 2 were from the metallic gold era and 2 were from the metallic green era.

I spoke to the new owner and he readily admitted he had no intention in using the tool since he owned a similar Grizzly shaper. I offered him $1400 a $300 profit in a few hours, he laughed. He insisted that machine is worth every penny of $2500 since new ones are $4500. Last year I passed on a Model 27 in excellent like new condition for $1900 with a 3HP 1PH motor. That seller eventually got his price. In the interim, I bought two of the 26's for $800 each both 3HP single phase. I told the new owner he would have a hard time getting his asking price. The shaper is still for sale at $2,500. The seller, like me and many on this site is a member of OWWM. In the past, I have encountered individuals who purchased machines restore them and sell them. I have no issue with that. It is disquieting when nothing was done to a machine and it is marked up almost 2.5 times from its purchase price in a few hours.

Most people are going to check what the current new price / availability is vs used. Companies like Grizzly have a huge advantage as they sell direct. They can instantly reduce prices when container costs drop dramatically and pass that on to the consumer.

Most all of the other major brands whether it's Jet, Powermatic, Laguna, etc. all have the dealer network to navigate. Grizzly can take a $5400 planer and then sell it for $4600 3 months later. So that's going to drop what they can sell used ones for.

It remains to be seen what's going to happen in 2023 with machinery prices. Even if supply chain costs drop along with shipping prices, will other brands ever pass the savings on to the consumer, or just keep it as high as it was? People will vote with their dollars.
    Last edited by Robert London; 11-15-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Bell View Post
    I concur with the machine flippers are now more prominent. I saw a Powermatic model 27 shaper 5HP 3 Ph for sale on FB Marketplace 2 weeks ago, for $1100. The shaper appeared to be in very good condition although the rear door seemed to be missing. I currently own 4 Powermatic 26's, 2 are 2Hp and 2 are 3 HP. Each one is setup for a different operation. I wanted the 27 because it has a slightly better fence system, built in dust port and 5HP would be better for raising panels. Curiously, it only had a 3/4 inch spindle. I have (2) 1 1/4 spindles in the rat hole that need bearings and some other work. I was going to sell one of the 3HP shapers if I could buy this shaper. I immediately inquired and was told the machine was already sold and gone.

A few hours later, 2.5 hours to be exact, the same machine was listed on FB Marketplace and Craigslist for sale for $2,500 about 65 miles away from the original location. At $1100 I thought the price was fair and perhaps a little low. Keep in mind (3) of the 4 Powermatic Model 26's I purchased were $800.00. The 4 was $1200 but came with a Steff large Power feeder and literally thousands of dollars in cutters from Freeborn, Infinity and Grizzly. Two of the machines were in excellent condition and 2 were in very good condition. 2 were from the metallic gold era and 2 were from the metallic green era.

I spoke to the new owner and he readily admitted he had no intention in using the tool since he owned a similar Grizzly shaper. I offered him $1400 a $300 profit in a few hours, he laughed. He insisted that machine is worth every penny of $2500 since new ones are $4500. Last year I passed on a Model 27 in excellent like new condition for $1900 with a 3HP 1PH motor. That seller eventually got his price. In the interim, I bought two of the 26's for $800 each both 3HP single phase. I told the new owner he would have a hard time getting his asking price. The shaper is still for sale at $2,500. The seller, like me and many on this site is a member of OWWM. In the past, I have encountered individuals who purchased machines restore them and sell them. I have no issue with that. It is disquieting when nothing was done to a machine and it is marked up almost 2.5 times from its purchase price in a few hours.
    He is going to be sitting on that 27 for a long time.. he's also trying to sell that grizzly for way more than it's worth. I've seen machines up for years because "it's worth that much"