Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Zero Clearance

Question Sawstop Zero Clearance

I've searched and can't find much review and comparison. Has anyone tried the Cauliflower zero clearance inserts on their Saw Stop PCS?

I have the factory ones and need another but hate to keep paying $60 each time I change a blade width or angle. I have one of the Cauliflower inserts on my Kapex and it seems to work well, but wasn't sure how it worked on Saw Stop regarding the hold down feature employed by the factory inserts. Thanks for any feedback.

I have; I like it. Easy to replace and cheap, so not precious. It isn't the sturdiest piece of MDF or whatever, but that never made any difference to me. I would definitely buy again. The metal piece you buy works just like the factory one, so no issues there.

Which model did you try? The ones I’m looking at don’t appear to have metal. They are something like Micarta frame with an MDF or Plastic Foam type insert.

https://www.infinitytools.com/sawsto...e-throat-plate

https://www.colliflower-zci.com/store/sawstop

Why not make your own? Google "Making a universal zero clearance insert" by that Crazy Russian on you tube. Make several as the set up time is the same. For the base part, get a Corian sink cut out, some Phenolic, or use a piece of HDPE cutting board, all of which are nonconductive. Inserts can be made from almost any type of scrap wood you have in the shop.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 04-06-2023 at 4:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I've searched and can't find much review and comparison. Has anyone tried the Cauliflower zero clearance inserts on their Saw Stop PCS?

I have the factory ones and need another but hate to keep paying $60 each time I change a blade width or angle. I have one of the Cauliflower inserts on my Kapex and it seems to work well, but wasn't sure how it worked on Saw Stop regarding the hold down feature employed by the factory inserts. Thanks for any feedback.
    I use the Colliflower zci insert. I also bought a 4 pack of both the dado insert and the standard insert. The difference is the standard has a cut-out for the blade guard / riving knife.

It was very much worth the money to get basically 9 inserts for about the cost of 2 Sawstop OEM inserts.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Why not make your own? Google "Making a universal zero clearance insert" by that Crazy Russian on you tube. Make several as the set up time is the same. For the base part, get a Corian sink cut out, some Phenolic, or use a piece of HDPE cutting board, all of which are nonconductive. Inserts can be made from almost any type of scrap wood you have in the shop.
    Thought about it but I’m in the middle of a project. Was about to use my dado stack and realized I didn’t have another zero clearance and didn’t want to cut up one that was already set for a certain thickness or blade. Right now I’m cutting the tenons with a 1/4” Forrest box joint saw blade set but it’s slow. Just wanted to get something as quickly as possible that was easy and ready to go.

I made an insert on my CNC out of maple so no experience on the table saw.

That said I do use their insert on my Festool Kapex and I like it a lot. The MDF (?) insert is soft but it seems to work fine. I’ve replaced it a couple of times but it lasts quite a while. The table saw version probably wouldn’t last quite as long before needing replacement but they’re pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 04-06-2023 at 5:35 PM.

I also have a Colliflower insert in my PCS. Mine is aluminum but I looked at your links and they do say current ones are Micarta. No idea if that affects function but it would avoid any chance of conductance of the insert triggering the brake. It shouldn't happen with mine - and hasn't. The aluminum of the insert is well away from the blade. It stays in place fine, it is a snug fit. With a body of micarta the insert would still be significantly more fragile than the insert. The melamine covered MDF inserts are pretty underwhelming but it isn't hard to make your own of hardwood or softwood. That is what I do. The stock ones are pretty cheap but VERY flexible. I do worry a little about increased fragility of the insert when using a dado blade but it is supposed to work. No way I was paying SawStop prices for their throat plates.

I've used Colliflower inserts but not anymore after the brake was triggered making a bevel insert. Wasn't impressed. After complaining I was kindly offered a replacement but that never eventuated. I don't know if the new ones are metallic or not. I now only use 3 standard inserts. The original for most cuts and two dado inserts.

I have the Infinity, love it

I also have the Infinity and like it quite a bit. The only issue is that it puts you at their mercy for replacements. The blanks were backordered for about 6 months last year. Suspect that was still Pandemic-related, so hopefully won't be an issue going forward.

Blog Entries
    I've got the colliflower and it works fine. I made my own inserts.

SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (9).jpgSawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (8).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Anyone know if the CAD files are available for these? I’d probably try one if I could CNC my own inserts and having the CAD files would help me decide which one to get to save me time measuring and making my own.

I still haven't ordered one. The comments about the Cauliflower feeling flimsy worries me. The one on my kapex is fine, but it doesn't get the same usage and the opening/span is much smaller. I'm not sure if there are better alternatives for one that you can swap the insert though.

I have the older Infinity insert system that is Aluminum. I have really liked it. The new Material I think will eliminate the issue if the blade would contact the metal. My blades I have used are the Fusion and the Freud Rip both thin Kerf. I am able to use the same insert for both blades. I did switch out my Dado to the Dewalt set. It is a great system, I found that some leftover laminat flooring is the right thickness for additional inserts. There is also a FineWoodworking article for making something simlar from the SawStop Insert.

s