Thread: Hedge trimmer cleaner

Hedge trimmer cleaner

I recently got a hedge trimmer and it said to clean the blades after use with a solvent, then lubricate. Several you tube videos show WD-40 being applied, excess wiped off and stored. What would you use? I like silicone spray but don’t believe it’s a solvent. Thanks

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner. If one doesn’t work, the other will. Probably not best in a city though.

I wouldn’t worry about cleaning after every use though. I lube mine with chainsaw bar oil and don’t remember the last time they were cleaned.

Blog Entries
    I don't consider WD-40 to be a real lubricant. It is okay in a pinch but it isn't very durable. I lubricate my Ryobi cordless trimmer with 3 in One oil after every use. So far (2 years) it hasn't accumulated any gunk from trimming stuff.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use WD40 after every use, & don't bother wiping it off- just run a few seconds and put the plastic guard back on. The pump sprayer refilled from a large can avoids tossing a bunch of aerosol rattle cans.

It's battery powered, & doesn't get used often so I try to keep the friction low.
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 05-05-2024 at 11:55 AM.

Never cleaned. Occassionally lubed with motor oil from a little pump oil can.

I use Trend Bit & Blade Cleaner on my pole saw & bow saws--just like with my woodworking blades. For the minute or two it takes, it sure makes a huge difference. Wish i'd started that decades ago--would have made cutting down the annual Christmas Tree much easier!! Those yard blades all see sap (especially pine), so i usually clean them when i finish for the day and they're ready for the next trip.

Dupont chain saver lube. Wax in a spray can. It says it is self cleaning. Probably as cleaning as wd40.
    BilLD

After thinking about it, my long handled Stihl was new in 1999 and I've never cleaned it that I remember. I do remember sharpening it a couple of times. It just gets some bar lube run on it before use every few years when it gets used. I'm sure I've never cleaned the little Stihl battery powered one and it gets the same lube. So in short, I don't think I've ever cleaned one since those are the only two I own.