From my point of view, what seems to be the problem is joint styles, like the two dowel method mentioned above, they are inherently weak. The weakness is mitigated by the reliance on strong glues. When the joint fails it damages the wood instead of the glue joint.

In industrial settings it might be ok to use these joints to save time, money or rely on less skilled labor. To repeat the same flawed process if one builds the furniture oneself is not ethical, if I understand Warren correctly. Keep in mind that ethics is just a set of agreed on rules, they're sometimes arbitrary.

A piece of furniture that fails at the glue line is easily repaired, one where the leg breaks and the glue line is intact goes to the garbage dump.

More and more this idea that a glue line that is stronger than the wood surrounding it is just marketing and actually encourages bad designs.

I also don't think that one uses hide glue if one intends the furniture to last centuries, neither did the woodworkers from the past, I suppose. They just knew the limitations of what they were using and build well. That their work lasts centuries is just incidental.