Thread: Slats bowl

Slats bowl

This is a glue up of off cuts of birch and a slat ring of bloodwood. It looks like a patchwork quilt of some sort, but my wife likes it. :-)

Finish is two coats of sanding sealer and 4 coats of rattle can lacquer.

C and C welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

That looks really nice. It looks like you took the time to make sure that the slats were cut so that the grain aligned with the wood above and below it. You don't say how big your bowl is, so my only concern would be the cross-grain sections on the bottom of the bowl. I am not sure how you did the bottom though, since it looks like there are little slices of wood in it. Overall, it is very well executed.

Wow, that's really a beautiful bowl!

That is definitely a beauty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Totally agree, that's a beauty!

That's sweet Grant, I like it!!!
    These forums are a constant supply of ideas to me (hope you don't mind, it won't be a copy but my slant on it)
    Thats the one thing with woodturning that I have most problems with, coming up with ideas (something to do with the painkilling medication I have to take so the doctor explained to me) ohh yeah and that damn skew!!!!

Thanks to you all.

Robert: There is grain going very which way in this thing. The boards that I started with were glue ups, then I rotated them when I glued them to the next layer. So, I don't believe movement will be an issue. You never know, though. The bowl is about 8 1/2" in diameter, 4" high and the base is 2". It looks a little more hodgepodge than I planned because when I was cutting it off the faceplate, I made a funnel out of it. So, I glued yet another glued-up piece to the bottom and kept turning. It's always good to have a plan B.

Mark: I wouldn't mind at all. This is not my original idea. I learned the process from a great guy - Denny Edwards. Here is a link to the movie that he did on how to make these

http://www.dennyedwards.com/Movies/f...-1008-pop.html

Thanks to Denny's instructions and his replies to my many questions, this one was not difficult at all. If I can pay it forward at all, just ask.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON