Thread: Weed Control for Rock Beds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    So are oxygen and salt. You could do what the Amish do around here, spend two hours a day weeding. Every day.
    Hemlock is also a chemical. So yeah, as I stated, I'm concerned using herbicides might cause problems in the future when I plant trees and a vegetable garden. The Amish tend to be very resourceful. I'm surprised they haven't developed some kind of natural weed killer. But I supposed pulling weeds every day would work. That doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Hemlock is also a chemical. So yeah, as I stated, I'm concerned using herbicides might cause problems in the future when I plant trees and a vegetable garden. The Amish tend to be very resourceful. I'm surprised they haven't developed some kind of natural weed killer. But I supposed pulling weeds every day would work. That doesn't work for me.
    That is why they have a lot of kids.

I can no longer find any videos but last summer Califonia was testing a brush/grass burning machine. Towed behind a bulldozer it rolls over and burns man sized brush and makes almost no smoke.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That is why they have a lot of kids.
    Little goats or something else?
    Bill D

Vinegar solution 1:4
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Neither Roundup or Preen will cause problems in the future. A rock garden is the perfect spot for both.

Roundup works by being absorbed through the plant leaves. It has no impact on soil. The overspray that hits the rocks and other areas surrounding the weeds gets burned off by the UV in the sun's rays in pretty short order, especially at altitude like you are.

Preen prevents weed seeds from germinating. It is a temporary measure, just like crabgrass preventer (same stuff).

Your situation is pretty common for rock gardens. Dust, pollen, and tree litter collect in the nooks and crannies. I have a gravel path at my home that was put in 30 years ago. The original gravel bed is nearly covered by composted organic matter as mentioned above. Roundup and Preen are applied every spring to keep it looking like a path.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.