Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Grizzly Catalog Prices..

2009 Grizzly Catalog Prices..

I just received my 2009 Grizzly catalog today. Looks like the prices are going up at least 10-15% across the board. Here's the price increase on the items that I've had sitting in my Grizzly website shopping cart for the last 10 to 12 months.

MODEL...... 2008.......... 2009....... INCREASE
    G0605X....$1,995.00.... $2,195.00 ... (+$200) (12" TS)
    G0490X....$1,050.00.... $1,195.00.... (+$145) (8" Jointer w/Spiral)
    G0453Z....$1,295.00.... $1,495.00.... (+$200) (15" Planer w/Spiral)
    G0514X2..$1,295.00.... $1,395.00.... (+$100) (19" Bandsaw Extreme)
    G1066Z....$1,795.00.... $1,995.00.... (+$200) (24" Sander w/VS)
    G0440......$745.00...... $995.00........(+$250) (2HP Cyclone)

Shipping has been reduced by about $5 on most items.

Over the last month or two energy and commodities have fallen off of a cliff, so I'm not sure if that was after these prices were established or not. The cost of my dream shop goes up $1100 in less than five days...time to pull the trigger. Maybe these tools will appreciate more than my 401k over the next few years.

The web site shows the 2008 prices, you better get ordering before NYE.
    The speed of light is much faster than the speed of sound; is that why some people look so bright until they say something?

Blog Entries
    Discussions of the 2009 increase are what got my G0440 here before Christmas. The money I saved ordering early will take a big bite out of the cost of ducting. If you work it out I think you'll find that in some cases you can buy on credit and pay it off with interest and still come out ahead.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow....bad timing all these companies going up in price. Almost everythig I have bought new in the last year has gone down considerably right before I bought it...lucky me I guess.

Raw Materials..

The company I work for buys a fair amount from China. Our suppliers are telling us that material costs are going DOWN.. I'm surprised to see the jump.. Unfortunate.

Shiraz Balolia posted here a couple months ago letting us know that costs have gone up and therefore prices would be going up for 2009. That news, tied with the MS cashback incentive moved a bunch of Grizzly gear (some into my shop). I still need a G0440 - guess I'll have to suck it up (pun) and pay the increase...

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Prices should be on the decline.

I dont see how woodworking tool sales (small shop and hobby level) are doing any better than most of the economy. I suspect that any tool company increases were planned before the sky fell in. Most economists predict the sky will continue to fall for a while. Maybe their prices will go up but will be offset by large discount sales.
    A large percentage of the population if not already out of work is in fear of being unemployed. Christmas sales have plunged.
    I was going to by a large sander for about $2K or so. I put it off temporarily. If they should have an irrestable, then I will buy one.

Clint......what company do you work for?
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

News of price increases on the way and the cashback got me to move on a Grizzly G0453 planer and Byrd head. Now I just have to figure out what size bearings I need to order.

*THE GRIZ* may wisely put tools on *SALE* during '09, due to our poor economy. Don't BITE on those *list prices* just yet....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Since Grizzly basically publishes prices once a year, the cost increases that we see for 2009 may be partially caused by material and fuel cost hikes in mid 2008 which Grizzly may have had to absorb.

As stated earlier in this thread, Grizzly could always run special sales to reflect the rapid changes in material, fuel and economic conditions.

It must be difficult to publish an annual catalog these days. You would have to be a sorcerer of sorts.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffrey Makiel; 12-27-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Improved grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Winterhalter View Post
    The company I work for buys a fair amount from China. Our suppliers are telling us that material costs are going DOWN.. I'm surprised to see the jump.. Unfortunate.
    You must be lucky to work for a company that can produce products and instantly ship them to the customer with no lead time if you're surprised by this. I'm sure goods sold during 2009 were produced during the previous year when commodities were expensive.

Since it is relevant to this thread, I'll quote Shiraz:

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Prices WILL increase. Our costs already have gone up substantially and we have not passed them on to our customers this year. I strongly suggest that if you are wanting to buy a machine, buy it before Dec 31, 2008. This is not a sales gimmick.

I will not be specific about what and how much, but the biggest culprits for the cause have been the increases in cost of cast iron and other materials as well as the decrease in the value of our dollar against various currencies.

This is a courtesy posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    I dont see how woodworking tool sales (small shop and hobby level) are doing any better than most of the economy. I suspect that any tool company increases were planned before the sky fell in. Most economists predict the sky will continue to fall for a while. Maybe their prices will go up but will be offset by large discount sales.
    A large percentage of the population if not already out of work is in fear of being unemployed. Christmas sales have plunged.
    I was going to by a large sander for about $2K or so. I put it off temporarily. If they should have an irrestable, then I will buy one.

Clint......what company do you work for?
    That’s what happened during the great depression. One reason why the country stayed in it for so long, was because prices of durable goods did not necessarily go down, in fact many sectors saw price increases. This went on while money and jobs became scarce, and credit grinded to a halt and ultimately many businesses closed permanently because people could not afford to buy their stuff. For grizzly’s sake I hope they can stay open even if their sales drop 30-50 percent over the next 1-2 years.

Look at car sales – down 40 percent with no sign of going back up any time soon, and this is even when car dealers are selling at near dealer invoice. And cars are necessary items, hobby tools are luxury items, like boats, RV’s etc.

I hope grizzly can stay in business with these higher prices for the next two years, because I absolutely love my grizzly machines. Even if they do stay in business they may have to downsize a bit to keep the doors open if they are going to sell at the higher prices. maybe cut back on staff. IMHO the US economy has at least a year or more to go before we start crawling out of this major recession or small depression mess – what ever one chooses to call it…

Many factories in China are closing down – toy makers in particular I saw a story on ABC, because folks in the west have really clamped down on spending.

When you see pawn shops in west palm beach buying up used 5000 dollar suits and art work because the millionaires are going broke and trying to raise some quick cash, selling their mansions at fire sale prices, then you know there is a big problem when the rich are going broke…

Sean....very well said.

To compound the economic downturn, the average hobbyist woodworker's age is getting older. That is, fewer young folks are coming onboard. A poll on this forum, and others, has proved it. This can also be seen with other physical hobbies as well, such as model kits, radio control, model railroading, doll house making, sewing, etc.

I think the heyday of woodworking is right now. So many companies, big and small, have been introducing innovative woodworking products in the last few years. Unfortunately, the recent downturn will likely curtail this innovation as disposable income, or the fear of job loss, becomes prevalent. In the long run, disinterest by young folks and the lack of new blood will be the big issue.

I just depressed myself (again).

-Jeff

somebody with a catalog (hope mine is in the mail) mind looking up to see what the new cost of a G0602 metal lathe will be?

Anybody see any new products in the catalog? I remember last year's catalog brought a number of new toys to the table.