Thread: Chuck rust - how to prevent?

Chuck rust - how to prevent?

What is the solution for putting something on your chucks to prevent rust? Normally, I just wax everything. Any problems doing that with a chuck?

TIA

What kind of chuck?

Peter, I have not had any trouble with rust on any of my chucks. I do get some goo and sap and such on them from turning green and from some of the finishes I use. Two of my chucks are chrome plated so good protection and the other is just black and shows not rust at all. I guess too, I use them all the time and they are wiped down, blown off with air etc so that might help.

Post a picture and that will help!

Happy New Year!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Peter, I use a Oneway Talon and have wire brushed the jaws many times to remove built up gunk. A few times I have noticed a slight rust build up on the screw heads and after wire brushing the area, apply a light coat of SC Johnson paste wax. It's never been a big concern as I am using the chuck all the time and do what I can to keep it clean and dry.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys. Nice to hear that the round side uses wax too.

Happy New Year!

Mostly I quit using water to wash it down with..... ... but I hear paste wax helps
    ya know ah just could not resist...
    John 3:16

I was interested if you could wax a chuck. Since you are dealing with a MT friction fitting, it could be that putting a lubricant in there, might not be the best idea.

One neglected area might be under the jaws. I have an old, original Nova that I had not used for months. I don't use the CarbaTec that it belongs to much at all any more.

I had cause to use the chuck but had to switch jaws. Discovered that whatever the last wood used was left small chips and dust under the jaws, compacted against the scroll mechanism & chuck body. That dust and the moisture it held were enough to cause some surface rust.

Cleaned it up, shined it up, waxed it up, and put it back in its box until next time...
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO

Rust needs to be totally removed or neutralized. If you seal rust in with a layer of wax or any other sealant, the rust will continue like a cancer to consume the solid metal around it.
    There are techniques like electrolytic conversion of the rust, chemicals that dissolve the rust, and chemicals that convert the rust into a stable form.