Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laguna LT16HD or Minimax MM-16?

Laguna LT16HD or Minimax MM-16?

I am buying a new pro bandsaw before the year kicks over. These two machines seem to be fairly equally thought of. The Laguna is on sale for $2695. The Minimax is now $2595, and comes with mobility unit. The guides are a bit different, the Laguna has a Baldor motor. I'm not sure if the Minimax does also. Another thing--does anybody know if the Minimax has geared trunnions like the Laguna? I'll be calling both companies tomorrow, so I'll get these questions answered, but in the meantime I'd be grateful if some owners would chime in here. One more question--should I spend the extra $300 and go for the Laguna LT18? ($2995)

I think you'll find the MM has the Italian made Centauro motor. Very beefy. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

If you're looking in that league you should probably also look at Agazzani
    http://www.eagle-tools.com/Pages/agazzani.html

No geared trunnion on the MM16 - I think those kick in on the MM20 or thereabouts?. If you need to move it frequently and dont have a very level floor, I wouldn't consider the mobility kit a plus and would see if you can get a better price without it. There are better mobility options available. Great saw. Lousy manual. Good service.
    Use the fence Luke

Agazzani's resaw is inadequate for me. I need 15". Thanks for your idea, though.

$300 for two more inches? I'd do it. Not sure which saw I'd pick now, but when I was going through the same dilema, I was about one minute from buying the Minimax when my big old Oliver presented itself. Minimax has great customer support, and Laguna failed to impress me. That was several years ago, maybe they are better now.

if you are looking at the LTHD and not the LT it is comparable to the MM the LT is there cheaper version not made in Italy you should also consider customer service when you buy i have had bad experience with Laguna and great service and do love my MM20

I have the latest version of the MM16 and love it. I'm of the belief that you can't go wrong with either. In actuality, my MM16 is way overkill for me 98% of the time. I'm sure the comparable Laguna would be the same. Trust your gut and pick the one you like better. If resawing is your primary game, consider a 20" so you can more comfortably run some of those 1" carbide blades on the market.
    Last edited by Charles Shenk; 12-28-2008 at 12:14 PM.

I tilt the table often so I am really in favor of a geared trunnion system. Can anyone comment on how well this works on their Laguna? I understand the Minimax has the traditional "bump and pray" system--is this so?

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I tilt the table often so I am really in favor of a geared trunnion system. Can anyone comment on how well this works on their Laguna? I understand the Minimax has the traditional "bump and pray" system--is this so?
    You are correct about the MM16 table/trunion not being geared. I see a used Laguna for sale in New Mexico listed on woodnet.
    Last edited by Charles Shenk; 12-28-2008 at 1:56 PM.

Charles, thanks for the tip, but that's an lt-16, which is lighter-duty and lacks enough resaw height.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    $300 for two more inches? I'd do it.
    I'm thinking that too...

Man, am I going to get in trouble for this!!! I had an 18" BS and wanted more resaw ht. and a foot brake. I looked at the Agazzani, MM,& Laguna and decided the premium quality and price was more than I "deserved" so I visited the Griz (I know I'm not supposed to use this name in the same thread with the these others) showroom and picked the 21" 531. So far it has performed perfectly. I really wanted the Agazanni, as I have this thing for Italians with a slender waist and a nice set of wheels, but for my level of use I couldn't justify the $$$$ and fortunately the Gword was been a good choice.

Ciao, JCB.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post
    Man, am I going to get in trouble for this!!! I had an 18" BS and wanted more resaw ht. and a foot brake. I looked at the Agazzani, MM,& Laguna and decided the premium quality and price was more than I "deserved" so I visited the Griz (I know I'm not supposed to use this name in the same thread with the these others) showroom and picked the 21" 531. So far it has performed perfectly. I really wanted the Agazanni, as I have this thing for Italians with a slender waist and a nice set of wheels, but for my level of use I couldn't justify the $$$$ and fortunately the Gword was been a good choice.

Ciao, JCB.

Thats blasphemey! (sp?)

I have a Laguna LT16 and wouldn't dream of buying from them again. Customer support (which I needed) was shockingly bad in my case.
    I really can't think of a thread where a Minimax owner had a problem that couldn't be resolved with all parties walking away happy.
    That said If I had to do it over again and given the number of models that are now available as opposed to when I bought I'd be calling Shiraz and be spending less money than I did on the Laguna. I have used the 18 inch Delta and a large Jet and I can honestly say that they would have done all that I need. I think Grizzly has put alot of effort into making great machines over the past few years.
    Given what I have read and seen from Grizzly and there commitment to the changing market and customer here on the Creek I would not hesitate to buy from them.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    The table on the MM16 is heavy enough that a geared trunnion would be pretty sweet. I've used the bump/pray method with the lock holding it but not tight and it works pretty good. Out of curiousity, I took a parallel jaw clamp and reversed the head into spreader mode and used it to do the fine adjust for moving the table. I think if I were going to be switching between straight and angled cuts a lot, hooking one of those to the side of an MM16 or a large screw & handwheel would make angle adjustments less prayer-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush View Post
    ...I know I'm not supposed to use this name in the same thread with the these others...
    Doesn't your tongue hurt when you do that?
    Use the fence Luke