Thread: 6" Belt and 9" Disk Sander

6" Belt and 9" Disk Sander

I'm going to buy one TOMORROW. I just talked myself into it.
    Help - Jet - Grizzly - Delta?????

Hi Jim!

I picked up a JET unit from Woodcraft back in feb. for $279.00.
    I was going to buy it from Amazon but Woodcraft matched there price and gave me 10% off everything else I purchased at the same time as well. I do alot of metal fab as well as wood working and the lower rpm of the JET was a big factor for me, it really makes a difference. Good dust collection, excellent belt tracking and overall good performance. I have yet to use the circle sanding guide but will say that the solid steel table is a little tricky to use with the slot cut for the guide. I would rather they left that slot out and gave me a one slot table insted. The solid steel table can be used at either the disk or belt. The table at the belt is small and made from alluminum and requires a little time to set up.
    Over all I am very happy.

Scott
    Scott

I have the jet as well and agree with everything Scott has to say, except I like the circle sanding set up. The built-in moble base is useful, but it does not have swivel casters so it is most useful in only one direction. This is easily overcome. The base provides some storage for extra belts and disks which I think most of us can use if our shops are getting crowded.

I have the Jet...from Amazon and its great! It looks and runs like a much more expensive machine. I had the Grizzly Z series before...they are not in the same league. I like the miter slot it helps to keep things square
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jim,

The most recent issue of either WOOD or American Woodworker reviews several of these...might wanna check it out for their thoughts.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

We had the Grizzly (1014Z?) at the mesquite outfit, and to be blunt, it was a POS. Several folks have posted on the various forums that it does the job for them, but I wouldn't give $10 for one.

Not knowing your budget, I very much prefer an edge sander to the belt/disc combo. It's a lot more money, but better suited to woodworking, IMO.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have the Jet...from Amazon and its great! It looks and runs like a much more expensive machine. I had the Grizzly Z series before...they are not in the same league. I like the miter slot it helps to keep things square
    Mark, I too have and love the Jet but one question. How do you deal with the tracking? This drives me nuts. It either goes one way too far or the other. I always release the knob first then adjust, then relock knob. Do you have a secret? Hoping you do. Alan
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Alan,
    Make sure the arrows on the belt are in the direction of rotation. I have had no tracking problems! Zero! I did not even have tracking problems with the Grizz. Z POS... Let it spin a bit ....turn it off and move the tracking screw while it is spinning. If it starts moving of adjust the screw till it is balanced. Te screw changes the angle of the passive spindle. That adjusts the tracking .

... the Grizz. Z POS...
    Are you implying profanity here, Mark? I am kind of taken back...you always stuck me as a calm, serene type of person...lots of candles and incense....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,
    POS "Point of sale" It is a waiter computer station in a resturant where orders are entered. The Grizzly sander has that feature which is strange because it is missing many other important ones. I have order fries , a coke and a rib eye steak while I was waiting for it to work. My CPA (car polishing attendant) told me not to buy another one for tax purposes!

Alan,
    Make sure the arrows on the belt are in the direction of rotation. I have had no tracking problems! Zero! I did not even have tracking problems with the Grizz. Z POS... Let it spin a bit ....turn it off and move the tracking screw while it is spinning. If it starts moving of adjust the screw till it is balanced. Te screw changes the angle of the passive spindle. That adjusts the tracking .
    Mark, Thanks I'll check your ideas. I think I'm doing them all but may have reversed belt rotation.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Placed an order this morning on Amazon for the Jet Combination 9" Disc / 6" x 48" Belt sander, got the $50.00 discount so I talked myself in getting the JET Benchtop Oscillating Spindle Sander at the same time.
    Thanks for everyone's input.

Jim,
    I have the Jet Spindle sander also and really like it! It is great for contouring and sanding parts cut on the bandsaw. It seems dependable and the dust collection works good.