Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Pallets Good Source for Workbench Lumber?

Large Pallets Good Source for Workbench Lumber?

I found a source by my parents that has large skids for sale. I can get a 7' wide by 7' long skid for $25. He also has them in lengths up to 14'. These skids are made of "hardwood" he doesn't know what, I expect they are oak? Each pallets consists of 6 4"X4" (actually 3.5"X3.5") that run the entire length (7') and then 4-6 pieces (again 3.5"X3.5") that run the width (7'). Do you guys think these would clean up to make a good base for a workbench? I already have a large piece of butcher block that I plan on using for the top or a piece of bowlig alley I have lying around, I need to figure out which would make a better top.

Here are some pics:

It's hard to say more than "maybe." I'd buy one and see how they clean up. It also might be time to buy one of those wand type metal detectors. There may be unexpected nails or staples in the wood which could ruin a planer blade.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Using caution as John stated above and if this is hardwood there is no reason it shouldn't work for the base. It may just surprise you once you get it cleaned up.

Also in addition to what John said, make sure there is no dirt/sand grit before going to the machine stage as it will also do a number on your blades.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

My experience with pallet lumber has been pretty poor. Often the larger pieces are cut from the center of the tree (the pith is in the piece) and the wood is split or twisted or bent a good bit. I've also encountered reaction wood when cutting that stuff.

In general, my experience is that the people who make pallets use very low grade lumber.

But that said, if you buy enough and sort through it, some of it will be usable. It's just a lot of work.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

In general, my experience is that the people who make pallets use very low grade lumber.

Mike
    Correct, pallets are made from "pallet grade" logs. If they were good logs to start with, they wouldn't have ended up as pallets.

Ed

Thanks for the help guys, since this would involve my non woodworking Dad going over and making a judgement call on the quality of the wood, I will take a pass.

Around here pallets seem to be free. I have three 3' by 12' ones behind my shop right now. If you can get around the nails the wood could be very good.

I will argue that not all pallet wood is junk. In the production of pallets these guys are not grading every piece of wood before they build with it. There are high production pallet businesses making them by the thousands. The wood is not shipped in piece by piece either so it is not graded and picked throough before it arrives. I have seen some very thick oak pallets that skids of bagged grain ship on.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I made a nice mission style end table using recycled oak. I came out very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Around here pallets seem to be free. I have three 3' by 12' ones behind my shop right now. If you can get around the nails the wood could be very good.

I will argue that not all pallet wood is junk. In the production of pallets these guys are not grading every piece of wood before they build with it. There are high production pallet businesses making them by the thousands. The wood is not shipped in piece by piece either so it is not graded and picked throough before it arrives. I have seen some very thick oak pallets that skids of bagged grain ship on.

I agree with Mike. I've worked in a shipping/receiving department for many years and built many of my shop tables and fixtures out of the oak pallets that were otherwise discarded. I've even made end tables and fern stands from quartersawn and rift sawn oak pallet boards. Pallet wood was a great source of free wood and I learned a great deal about woodworking joinery by using this free to me available source. If you change your mind and get some of it, carefully remove the nails,if any break off, mark their location with a marker, and then be prepared to let the boards air dry in your shop for at least a few months as some of the wood may have a lot of moisture left in it. Also, look out for powderpost beetle holes and other insect infestations and don't risk bringing it home if you see any.

Kabotas used to come in Teak crates, and I have seen other crates from the far east that had interesting looking woods that I was clueless what they were.

From what I have seen that is shipped from China, the crate is often the best part.

Hmm, now you guys have me thinking that these are worth looking into. I am thinking that I can get all of the material for my base out of one 7'X7' pallet.

I still need to get my shop set-up so allowing them to acclimate for a month isn't a problem.

Its worth going to see your dad at least

Good luck.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you have more time than anything - go for it. My experience w/ pallet lumber has been that most of it ends up in the fire. If you want a good bench that will last for many years, I would just make the trip to the lumber yard and be done. For wall mounted benches I usually use 2 x 4's for the top frame and support the rear w/ 2 x 4 to the floor and along the front I'll use a 2 x 6 (cuz I like to beat on stuff on the bench) and use 4 x 4's for legs. I built alot of 'em and never had any trouble.
    I built a 2'x8'freestanding bench for a friend using 2 x 6 (16" OC) for the top frame and 4- 4x4's for legs, 1" MDF top. He builds engines on it - last time I was there he had an old 392 hemi and a big block Pontiac BOTH on it ! He's got another one we bolted to the wall that has 4 sm block chevs sitting on it.
    Either way , I'd still just go to visit w/ Dad
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

I've used pallet wood before and the biggest issue I had with it was the twist nails they used to put it together. They're practically impossible to get out with snapping. But, if they're long enough that you can just cut away the nailed sections, I say give it a shot.

Like the others mentioned, just be sure to clean away the grit first and use a metal detector on 'em.

Keith

If you do not expect too much from *pallet* lumber you will not be disappointed. It's lots of work to tear them apart and remove nails, but sometimes worth it.

I would want to know what type of *hardwood* they are predominately made of. Even cottonwood is considered a hardwood. Not what I might want my workbench to be made of. With pallet lumber, what you see is what you GET!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 12-31-2008 at 11:21 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!