Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And the Winner is .... Powermatic 3520B

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking And the Winner is .... Powermatic 3520B

Well, after considering all of your fine advice I found some extra cash and have decided to purchase the Powermatic 3520B. Two replies hit home with me:

1. Always buy as much as you can afford (plus a little!)
    2. Use the extra money to buy accessories (I already have several chucks and all of the turning tools that I think i need).
    Now for one more question (or two):

1. If I purchase from Woodcraft (local) I get a 18" bed extension free with the $3,350 price + tax of about $250 = $3,600. With this I think I get local support and help with PM if I have issues. Plus the owner just started BAW (Bluegrass Area Woodturners) and gives us a place to meet. And I think it's important to support the local stores or they won't be around when you need them.
    2. Toolnut's price is about $2,900 and I don't think it comes with the 18" bed extension. Of course no tax, but maybe shipping & local delivery.
    So I guess my question is whether the Woodcraft store can help with service issues better than a mail order house and is service really an issue with the PM?

The bed extension sort of negates the tax charges and I think I want it. But if Toolnut says "free shipping" then it's a pretty tough decision.

Probably a pretty tough decision to walk into our BAW club meetings every month and talk about that PM that I didn't buy from WC.

Sorry to ramble, but I really don't want to make a mistake on a purchase of this size. Thanks in advance for any and all add'l advice.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Brad,
    I bought mine from Toolnut and am very happy but I didn't have a local dealer. The turning club would definitely influence my decision.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

If you like the local WC folks I would probably go with them. Can't remember but seems like WC has two big sales a year, could one be coming up soon?

Brad,
    WC probably doesn't host your meeting out of kindness. Club meetings help get people in the door so that WC sells their products.

Has the local WC staff been particularly helpful in showing you the advantages and disadvantages of various lathes or did that background come from your fellow club members and members here? Maybe the answer to this question will help you decide...

FYI-the 18" extension is a $350 option without the toolrest extension (to turn longer items) or a $450 option with the toolrest extension (to turn either longer or larger diameter items)
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 12-29-2008 at 3:15 PM.

Where to purchase the "Big Mustard"

If you like the local WC folks I would probably go with them. Can't remember but seems like WC has two big sales a year, could one be coming up soon?
    Unfortunately the big sale was on Dec. 8th and I didn't have the money or the final choice in my head at the time. Really missed out on that one! WC told me that the sale was a once a year deal. And the birthday sale excludes power tools...

Has the local WC staff been particularly helpful in showing you the advantages and disadvantages of various lathes or did that background come from your fellow club members and members here? Maybe the answer to this question will help you decide...
    One of the guys at WC has been very helpful. Actually probably received more help from this group, but to be fair the club has only met twice and we are just getting to know each other. Our next meeting is the first Thursday of Jan. and I will try to get more advice there.

FYI-the 18" extension is a $350 option without the toolrest extension (to turn longer items) or a $450 option with the toolrest extension (to turn either longer or larger diameter items)
    Can you purchase the toolrest extension separately to complete the package if you buy the bed extension separately?

Again, thanks to all for your advice. I'm sure I will be happy with the machine. I'll post some first work as soon as I get it in house!

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Kimbrell View Post
    Can you purchase the toolrest extension separately to complete the package if you buy the bed extension separately?
    I don't think the tool rest extension can be a separate purchase. Below is a link:

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/6294...extension.aspx

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/6294...3520bonly.aspx

Osolnik usually comes close to ToolNut, but can't always beat them, however they do carry the full Powermatic accessory line. They've got the extension for 299.00 and extension with tool rest for 369.00. I don't see the tool rest extension anywhere alone.

As for support from WC, I don't think they have anything in particular to apply support wise to your lathe. They can certainly offer advice on new toys to buy for the lathe, but I doubt support will be needed. I have a 3520A that hasn't needed any service in the last 4 years. I doubt you will need any for your 3520B.

ToolNut like Osolnik will drop ship from the PM factory. You can certainly take your quote from ToolNut and see how close WC can come to it. Or you can measure the goodwill the purchase will put toward your relationship with WC. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much wiggle room for power tool purchases with WoodCraft. The franchisee doesn't make a great deal on them, on other items yes they have pretty good markup, but on power tools, its a little different.

With your turning group meeting there, I'd be more inclined to WoodCraft if the numbers are close.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Brad - I would be asking the manager of WC if they offer any discount to the club members. You never know but it is sure worth asking! Also, ask WC what they offer in the form of support if you have any problems with the lathe. You are looking at a sizable chunk of change and I personally would have no qualms about going with whoever offers the best deal. You can still do all your accessories through your local WC and that is where they make their money anyway.

Best of luck finding a good deal on this lathe. I look forward to seeing photos of it in your shop!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Good will vs $700

I agree with Steve. You will probably give them plenty of business so they won't have hurt feelings for long. The price is strictly business and with the difference in the base price and tax you are looking at a considerable amount with which you can get some very nice accessories or great wood. I have the same lathe and have been very happy with it. Adding an extra 18" would allow me to turn really long spindles but I don't plan on doing that kind of work. How will you use the extra length?
    Enjoy the lathe. It's a great machine.

Marc Himes

Brad,

I would take your quote from toolnut to the local WC manager and ask him how close he can come to it. Have everything included (frt, etc.) that it will take to get the lathe to you from toolnut. If you want to turn outboard, then the extension + tool rest extender would certainly be worthwhile, so you might make a run at the local guy to include that in the deal if he won't "match" the price. Look him in the eye, and tell him "I really want to buy from you - help me out". Lastly, evaluate carefully the value of the relationship with the local WC, particularly in light of the free meeting space that they are providing to your new club.

Also, I think that there really is some potential value in having a committed dealer on your side, if you ever have a problem with the machine. Plus, if there is anything wrong upon delivery, (damage, missing parts, etc.) then you have an immediate go-to for assistance. If you get close to a match price, you may be very happy you bought locally. Remember the warm greeting you will probably get everytime you walk into the store, versus the attitude you may get if they know you bought a machine elsewhere to save $100.00.

Yeah, that's my take on it as well. I used to own the company that I now work for and I have a lot of empathy for a guy who puts his money down to open up shop and roll the dice.

This store is the largest WC store I've ever seen and he built it from the ground up. The classroom is probably 20% of the entire store. He has a big PM3520 up front as a teachers lathe and then about 6 x Jet 1242's for students.

On top of that he let's anyone in the club use the classroom lathes (including the PM) free as long as there is not a class going on. One of the guys turned a 36" huge platter a few weeks ago.

Pretty nice guy. I'm sure I'll be able to work something out with him.

He had Chris Ramsey in there turning a few weeks ago. Then John Jordan and Scott Phillips and a few others in weeks before that. Seems like he's really trying to create interest in the community.

Thanks again for the advice!

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Use of bed extension

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Himes View Post
    I have the same lathe and have been very happy with it. Adding an extra 18" would allow me to turn really long spindles but I don't plan on doing that kind of work. How will you use the extra length?

Marc Himes
    Marc - My plans would be to use it in case I get industrious and turn a pool cue (I paid my college tuition playing 9-ball ). You need a little more than the 35".

Also, the extension can be mounted down low on the end and you can turn larger diameter items off of the far end of the lathe with the tool rest extension mounted on the bed extension rather than level with the main bed. Those David Marks wall sculptures look pretty cool and he does them off of the end of his Oneway.

Just a couple of ideas, but sounds like it's a nice option.

Thanks for the reply.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Thanks for expanding my horizons. I should have thought of pool cues. Our local chapter meets in a forest products wood dealer's building and they sell a lot of wood blanks for pool cues.

Marc Himes

3520b

Brad,
    I bought mine from Joe Osolnik and was delighted with the service he gave me. Any issues with the tool will likely be supported by the factory, and with other PM tools I own, the service has been great. Joe will work with you on the pricing as much as he can.

Definitely go for the bed extension - it will let you turn up to 48" lengths.

Check out this site, particularly the post about setting it up. Should help: http://mustardmonster.googlepages.com/

You may want to check out Thompson Tools, Doug now sells Jet and Powermatic with Bernie McGivern. It is the first link in this page:
    http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/links.asp
    They both are turners and members of our Club. Excellent people to deal with. We all know how well Doug's service was, I doubt he would not continue to guard his reputation.
    I knew he has some "oops" gouges. They were 100% fine in function, just doesn't up to his high standard in cosmetic. They were so close to perfect, I couldn't tell where the defects were if he didn't point out to me. Our Club needed more gouges with two additional lathe stations, I asked him to donate couple sets. He refused and insisted to donate from the good piles. He said, "if it has my name on it, it has to be perfect."
    Gordon

My experience has been that when there was a problem, my local dealer helped exert pressure to ensure that I got prompt service. In one case, a piece was taken from a tool still in the box and given to me so I could continue enjoying my purchase. The store then took up the fight to get the piece to complete their own unsold piece. Good service.

Plus one of my local Jet outlets is also the regional repair facility. Talk about a perk to influence a sale!
    Dean Thomas
    KCMO