Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And the Winner is .... Powermatic 3520B

Brad I'd go with the local dealer, good will and support down the road is very well worth it , just make sure you make enuf fuss about it so they remember selling you the lathe with out having to tell em etc. , but not so much that you risk becoming a pain in the neck....and btw enjoy and for that one time you foray into the looonnngggg spindle world , you will be glad you got the extension....
    John 3:16

Don't consider the sales tax

Brad,

If you ask the WC dealer to compete on price with the internet sellers, don't add sales tax to the mix. Losing a sale to someone who doesn't have the expense of maintaining an inventory is hard enough, losing the sale to someone based on a tax you have no control over has got to leave a sour taste.

Most states that have a "sales tax" also have a "use tax". I'm not familiar with Kentucky law, but the general rule is a local retailer is required to collect sales tax while out-of-state internet sellers are not. However, in most cases, the buyer is required to pay the state a "use tax" on whatever purchases have not been subjected to the sales tax. This approach puts in-state and out-of-state retailers on the same footing. (In most cases, the tax rate for sales tax and use tax is the same.) Most buyers don't comply with the law, but that's not the same as saying buying from Amazon rather than the local Barnes & Noble "saves" tax.

Talking The "Mustard Monster" is on it's way to Lexington!

Well, I took the plunge today and ordered the PM3520B with 18" bed extension & tool post extension from Woodcraft.

The owner of the Woodcraft helped me on the pricing and gave me some nice one-time discounts on accessories. Considering that I won $600 in my weekly poker game last night, I took full advantage and have ordered:
    1. Stronghold chuck
    2. #3 Jaws with 3.5 - 5.5" capacity
    3. Jumbo jaws (Cole Jaws) up to 12" capacity
    4. Vacuum chuck complete with pump
    5. 8" Grinder (mine is 3450, but I've always used a Tormek)
    6. Wolverine Sharpening Jig
    7. Collet Chuck from 1/8" to 5/8"
    And then as a bonus Chris Ramsey (the hat turning guy) walked in with some of the most beautiful rosewood burl pen blanks that I've ever seen. I took an even dozen of those along with a few other spalted Catalox blanks. He did a hat turning demo early this month that was very cool!

So the "super gloat" will be on when all of these toys arrive in about 2 weeks!

Thanks again to all for the advice and help in selecting the PM lathe. I'll post pictures once I have it set up and running.
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Brad - congrats on your new lathe! Always a difficult decision because there are so many really good lathes out there! I am sure you will be thrilled with the Powermatic! Looking forward to seeing the photos once everything arrives!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.
    David,
    Bet you can hardly contain your excitement! You'll love the lathe for sure. I've had mine for a few months. I like the bed extension, although I've not "used" it yet. It's a handy place to set the tailstock without having to lift it all the way to/from the floor. I'm getting close to making the jump to vacuum chucking. I'd be interested to hear of your experience with the 3520B.

Randy

Making Room for the New TOY!

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I've been working on closing in our Washer / Dryer and Air Unit in a laundry room for the wife (sure it's for her!) Like magic it's almost finished after 6 full days of work over my Xmas vacation.

I have completed all of the wiring - plugs every 4' in the laundry room and same on the shop side of the wall, only 52" high so nothing blocks plugs, esp. sheet goods that seem to find places to hide. More walls for cabinets and shelves!

I'm going to my parents 50th anniversary on Wed. and I'm sure that the lathe will show up while I'm gone.

But the good news is that I'm bringing back an Atlas 12" x 48" metal lathe that my father rehabed about 3 yrs ago. He has since acquired a 14" x 42" industrial engine lathe and rehabed it as well, so I get the "old one". It's a 1936 model but it works well.

Now all I need is a milling machine and I'll have my playhouse in order.

Now the problem will be how to arrange my Atlas 6x18, Atlas 12x48, Jet Mini and PM3520. A nice problem to have! Oh, and my brother is getting the old Crapsman 12" tube lathe - He wants to play.

I'll post pictures of all of these beauties when I get the PM.

Thanks again to all of you for your help and "future support" - I'm sure that I'll need it!
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>