Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too early for gloating?

Too early for gloating?

Well, I might be too new to the forum and it might be too early, but here goes: (I'm really not a gloater - in fact quite modest, so this is gonna be tough)

Just ordered today, picking up this coming Saturday!!! 1 - Grizzly 490X 8" jointer and 1 - Grizzly 453Z 15" planer.

I'm stoked, beyond excited and am looking forward to picking up the goodies. Also, I may not be done quite yet. The laguna LT16-3000 looks like a really good deal. Since the FWW magazine review of the LT14 and further closer inspection of laguna bandsaws, I'm sold. They are doing free shipping until end of the year, so i might need to jump in.

I've been waiting and saving for several years to really get the shop running...slowly adding electrical subpanel to the garage for 220, etc., acquired a Unisaw; been using handplanes for the past 2 years to "noodle" around the shop - its now time to really get some projects going....and the wife is pushing for furniture.

Thanks to the forum for all your help in answering questions. I'm sure i'll have more to come in the future.

Congratulations, John! You will love those machines!

John -

Congratulations on your new acquisitions. Don't forget the pictures.

Regards,
    Ted

PS Never too early to gloat!

John,
    Gloats come with pics or they never happened. That is the rule. What you did here is called a pre-gloat.

Welcome to the Creek! We will be looking forward to the pics
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Nicely done, John! Enjoy the goodies!

John, with all the Amish around your parts, those powered machines will be frowned upon!! That said, you are going to love the flexibility and efficiency of the tools you have chosen.

Having taken shipment of several new tools earlier this year, I would recommend that you uncrate only one at a time. Assemble it to completion before undertaking the other. And, most importantly, have a friend lined up that has a strong back!

Why not the Grizzly bandsaw too?

John,

I have the 17" Grizzly bandsaw and could not be happier with it. The tension window and blade tracking window are something I wish I had had before. Since I am still working on getting 220v wired, I have the saw wired for 110v, and it still has done everything I have tried to do, up to cutting 5x12' timbers.

Get the woodslicer blade and you will be happy with this saw.

I have been a cautious Grizzly owner over the last ten years, and am finding that I am quickly becoming and all Grizzly shop.

Good luck,
    Guy

I knew I'd get caught! I should have known better...Yes, I stand corrected on my "pre-gloat". Pics will follow this weekend if all goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    John,
    Gloats come with pics or they never happened. That is the rule. What you did here is called a pre-gloat.

Welcome to the Creek! We will be looking forward to the pics
    True, very true. However, what probably would happen is they would buy an electric generator to run an electric air compressor and then retro-fit the jointer&Planer to run from a pneumatic motor and still end up using the machine itself. There is a tool shop over on the eastern side of the county, run by old-school amish, and they sell a whole host of Dewalt tools that are pneumatic - table saws, drills, you name it. Bizarre!

I'm setting up the chain hoist this week - just bought some parts last night to get that setup. I've got a buddy on standby just in case. Good idea on just setting up one machine at a time; I can easily get carried away and excited about it all! I don't want to end up with a jointer that planes and a planer that joints.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    John, with all the Amish around your parts, those powered machines will be frowned upon!! That said, you are going to love the flexibility and efficiency of the tools you have chosen.

Having taken shipment of several new tools earlier this year, I would recommend that you uncrate only one at a time. Assemble it to completion before undertaking the other. And, most importantly, have a friend lined up that has a strong back!

I checked out the Grizzly bandsaws this past friday while in Muncy and thought they were pretty nice. I have nothing bad to say about them at all, very nice machines. For some reason, and I'm sure its in my head, I just see Laguna as having a very strong bandsaw reputation. There are a few things that the laguna has that i see has just nice features: leeson motors, a sturdy mobile base, rack/pinion table tilt, i like the laguna guides, too.

On another note, and i have no real reason for this one at all, but i wanted to keep a diverse set of Mfg's in the shop. Don't know why...

I will say, Guy, I'm glad to see comments as you made...being cautious about Grizzly, but more confident in the brand over the years. It makes me feel better about my decision. I like to buy the best i can afford and in this case, hopefully get a lifetime of use out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Belleman View Post
    John,

I have the 17" Grizzly bandsaw and could not be happier with it. The tension window and blade tracking window are something I wish I had had before. Since I am still working on getting 220v wired, I have the saw wired for 110v, and it still has done everything I have tried to do, up to cutting 5x12' timbers.

Get the woodslicer blade and you will be happy with this saw.

I have been a cautious Grizzly owner over the last ten years, and am finding that I am quickly becoming and all Grizzly shop.

Good luck,
    Guy

I get the feeling that your moving just a bit to fast. The jointer and planer go for it.

But on the Bandsaw. It could be such a key part of your shop and projects. And for what they can do they have such a small footprint in the shop. You might want to wait just a bit and get a bit more saw.

Why not get a good used American made 14" Delta or Powermatic for starters. One that you could sell if wanted for the price you paid. They always come up on CL around here. Then hold out for the more heavy duty version of the Laguna, Mini Max, Agazanni. Maybe even a 20" version. And if you have the room you could keep the 14" and have a great 16-20" too. Seems to me that a better band saw would match better what you have there already, ie Uni, 8" jointer, 20" planer

You may be right, Grant. I don't usually just jump right in on these things. The j&p are no-brainers, but the bandsaw is where i hesitate a bit. I don't have a lot of room, but as you mentioned, they really don't take up much space. If I have room for a smaller one, i do for a bigger one...within reason...no 24-inchers needed.

You mention holding out for more heavy duty one later. Since I'm not really familiar with what all i will find to use one for, why would i need something heavier than a good 14 or 16" saw? 12 inch resaw height seems substantial and a good 3HP motor does too. The 18/20 gets into the 4/5HP range which would certainly chew threw the wood with little hesitation.

I guess if I had long term goals of making woodworking more than a hobby, it would be reasonable to go bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    I get the feeling that your moving just a bit to fast. The jointer and planer go for it.

But on the Bandsaw. It could be such a key part of your shop and projects. And for what they can do they have such a small footprint in the shop. You might want to wait just a bit and get a bit more saw.

Why not get a good used American made 14" Delta or Powermatic for starters. One that you could sell if wanted for the price you paid. They always come up on CL around here. Then hold out for the more heavy duty version of the Laguna, Mini Max, Agazanni. Maybe even a 20" version. And if you have the room you could keep the 14" and have a great 16-20" too. Seems to me that a better band saw would match better what you have there already, ie Uni, 8" jointer, 20" planer

Laguna bandsaws are said to be one of the best you can buy but do a search on Laguna and there customer service has been less than adequate by some.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    John
    I have the Grizzly 453Z and the 490X. You'll love the finish of the spiral heads. Have lots of fun with them.

P.S. You'll need a good dust collector.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Congratulations on the new tools for your shop.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I'm looking forward to it, Dave. I should think my Jet DC1100 will handle one at a time. Relatively short hose runs. Small shop/garage, so stuff will get rolled around.

Glad to hear you are happy w/ the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    John
    I have the Grizzly 453Z and the 490X. You'll love the finish of the spiral heads. Have lots of fun with them.

P.S. You'll need a good dust collector.

congrats on the new additions to your shop. you will be glad you went with the 8 inch and 15 inch planer

Lou