Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Louisiana Gumbo

South Louisiana Gumbo

Over Christmas I got together with my family and my Cajun brother-in-law made gumbo. I took pictures and put up a tutorial on my web site.

If you've ever wanted to make gumbo, or just wondered how it's made, check out the tutorial.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

That looks delicious! Another good dish is ettoufee, mmmmmm good!

Mmm, Mmm, that looks good!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks great. Makes me wish dinner wasn't so far away...

I'm curious about the dry roux. I've always gone the oil/flour "roux-te." (Sorry fer the lousy pun.) Seems easy to get the lumps out that way, and they don't tend to form once other liquids are added--do you have issues with flour lumps with the dry route?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Looks great. Makes me wish dinner wasn't so far away...

I'm curious about the dry roux. I've always gone the oil/flour "roux-te." (Sorry fer the lousy pun.) Seems easy to get the lumps out that way, and they don't tend to form once other liquids are added--do you have issues with flour lumps with the dry route?
    No, just add hot liquid slowly and stir while adding it. Comes out very smooth.

I still do the oil roux, also. But maybe I'll try the dry roux route (say that ten times fast) next time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike - thanks for the tutorial! I saved it to my favorites and will have to give it a try! I used to live right on the coast of southern Alabama and seafood gumbo was always a favorite of mine!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Aw, man, you guys are killing me here. We used to have 2 different Cajun restaurants here in town (not at the same time) that were awesome. The first was run by the wife of a state senator (may have been a rep at the time), but she shut it down partway through eventually losing her battle with cancer. That one had an awesome lunch buffet with all kinds of goodies on it, but I especially remember the bread pudding with whiskey sauce for dessert. The second place had an awesome crawfish etouffee (only dish I ever had there, it was so good I never bothered to try anything else), but I think the owner made a mistake when she changed it to adults only so she could have a bar there (didn't have the room for a separate bar area). That's also where I discovered Chipotle Tobasco sauce (major part of my yearly budget, I think).

I'm gonna have to go talk nice to the wifey, maybe she'll make some of those dishes soon...

I love Cajun food. Especially when it's hot.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Zatarain's makes a mix already that is really easy to use as does Louisiana Fish fry.

If you really want to do it right, you have to use some bacon grease. It makes it all that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I love Cajun food. Especially when it's hot.
    I grew up in and around Cajun country and all we ate was "local" food. But it was not made especially hot. It did have seasoning (pepper) but not to the level I see Cajun food cooked to today. IMO, when it's seasoned excessively hot, you lose the other tastes in the dish. Like many things in life, it's a balance.

Mike

Mike, I don't necessarily care for food that is just hot. I like good flavor, too, and I've had plenty of both. My tolerance for heat is probably higher than a lot of people's, so a lot of heat doesn't necessarily drown out other flavors for me like it might for other mere mortals. I've found that as I get older and can better tolerate the heat on my lips and tongue, it's farther down the system that doesn't do so well...
    Jason

Born and raised in Louisiana and have never believed that eating should be a painful experience. Spicy is OK, but when the only taste sensation is pain, it's not food.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Yeah, but capsaicin is good for you, and the endorphin rush afterwards is kinda cool, too. And, anything that doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Yeah, but capsaicin is good for you, and the endorphin rush afterwards is kinda cool, too. And, anything that doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.
    I like the way you think Jason.!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the tutorial Mike..!!!! This will be on my menu for fixing in the next 2 weeks.!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Smile Somewhere . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I grew up in and around Cajun country and all we ate was "local" food. But it was not made especially hot. It did have seasoning (pepper) but not to the level I see Cajun food cooked to today. IMO, when it's seasoned excessively hot, you lose the other tastes in the dish. Like many things in life, it's a balance.

Mike
    Somewhere along the line non-Cajuns have decided to make Cajun food hot . . . That is NOT authentic Cajun food.

Anyone can make something hot, but taste good is another . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .