Thread: Shop Electrical - Phase 2

Blog Entries

Shop Electrical - Phase 2

I was getting ready to install my cyclone. I have the outlet and breaker positions all set . . . and then it began:

I really need some more outlets on the other side of the shop. The path from the sub-panel to the ceiling runs behind where the cyclone will mount. There are enough turns so that building a path and pulling later is not an option. Anything I want to add better go in now.

So, full stop on the G0440 install and full speed ahead on the electrical upgrade. This will require some relocation of one of my wall mounted lumber racks in addition to the usual efforts of electrical additions in a garage.

It will be tough battling through this 70 degree winter but I feel I am up to the challenge:

1---Winter-Day.jpg

Cleared out the current DC and lots of other wall mounted stuff in the area to be addressed.

2---Blank-Slate.jpg

Here's the sub that went in last time. I'll "try" to go overboard this time and see if I can get it to be at least a couple years before I outgrow the build.

3---Sub-pre-phase-2.jpg

I'm off to shred some drywall.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Had to laugh at this - every project I think about starting seems to spawn several related precursor projects which in turn....... Paralysis by analysis (never noticed this but 1st 4 letters of analysis ...) Sometimes you just have to forget about planning and actually do something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franz View Post
    Sometimes you just have to forget about planning and actually do something.
    It appears that this is true. I may get by with just this one hole that is no where near where the cyclone will mount:

5---New-Path.jpg

I found a better path that is directly over the panel. I coulda swore that was blocked(?). Anyway, I have three 1" holes up through the plate.

4---Three-holes.jpg

One hole is for 10/2 for the jointer. One for 12/2 for the old DC that will be re-tasked as a jointer only DC.

Can I run two 12/2 wires through the remaining hole? I would like to have two 20a 110v legs for outlets on the opposite wall (about 35 feet including risers and drops).

– Samuel Butler

I'm not an electrician, but I think 2 runs in one hole that size would be fine. Maybe one of the resident sparkys will be by shortly to tell us for sure. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    I'm not an electrician, but I think 2 runs in one hole that size would be fine. Maybe one of the resident sparkys will be by shortly to tell us for sure. Jim.
    I've heard you aren't supposed to do that, reason being if you pull one cable, then another, the friction can burn through the insulation on the previously pulled cable. That said, I did it. I was just careful pulling wire...

There is no problem running more than one wire in a hole, as long as it is not over tight. You may want to think about putting a conduit from the panel uo through the plate so you can add in the future without tearing up the wall.

Blog Entries
    Just a follow up; the two holes that nearly cut that stud in half were there when I started . . . no, really. Whoever did that didn't even use the holes but they did reinforce the area with additional structure. That additional build-out is why my nice clean third hole ended up where it is. I have added a couple other holes centered in the stud about 8" apart and about 8" from the 3-hole mess.

I just didn't want everyone to think that I was even more of a train wreck than I am ;-) My dad's coming up tomorrow to supervise whilst I play electrician. I hope to have this buttoned up by EOD tomorrow . . . . Oh now I just went and put a whammy on myself. Murphy, forgive me!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-31-2008 at 6:57 PM.

– Samuel Butler

It seems that I am always the Nay-Sayer or Resident Wet Blanket around here, BUT.....

Why not run conduit around the shop with circuits/outlets as needed?? Just as soon as you finish this *sub-project* of fretting at tediously running wiring inside your drywall, SOMETHING else will pop up that needs a circuit.

Exposed surface wiring in conduit is EZ to change, add to, or otherwise reconfigure. It needn't be an eyesore, if it keeps you from crying about future, yet to be recognized, wiring issues!! Just MHO/.02!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    Well, that didn't take long. I even took a break to partially assemble something I got for Christmas and help a neighbor move some bricks (he has no idea how I will make him PAY for that neighborly help . .. heh-heh-heh).

Excuse the nasty wall condition, this one hasn't gotten the major rebuild yet like this one.

Anyway, a dedicated 110v for the jointer-only DC and a 220v for the jointer itself.

Elec-phase-2-E_Wall-1.jpg

Added a couple GFCI quads as long as I was making the mess.

Elec-phase-2-E_Wall-2.jpg

Now, back to putting up the cyclone . . . . .

– Samuel Butler