Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Now this looks safe

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Here's what I think is funny. This is so similar to how the Shopsmith table saw "function" is set up. But just try and get away with dissing the SS and an army of SS owners will flock to the boards to defend it. But here, somehow, not a peep! Personally, I can't see how this setup is any more or less dangerous than the SS. (I used to own an SS so I know what I'm saying here...)
    I think the main difference is that the Shopsmith has a blade guard, a purpose-made arbor, and a tilting/raising table. The overall geometry is similar, and I recognize that the Shopsmith table saw isn't an ideal machine, but it's far better than this rig.

Looks like there's a new TS at the Darwin Woodworking Academy

J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Gary, it kind of reminds me of the time...
    Be safe..........Regards, Rod.
    Wow. Glad it was only her hat. I used to shoot a lot. Went to the range one time and some guy had a stovepipe jam in the lane to the right of me. As I was putting my target on the clip I noticed him pointing the gun at the left wall of his station and trying rackthe slide with his finger on the trigger.

I stepped back to the wall until he was done and then packed up and went home. Mentioned it to the range master on my way out.

It's amazing how seeing, hearing or smelling something can trigger a memory and how you physically reacted.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

If you think that looks scary, take a look at the steam tractor driven belt sawmills. Three foot or larger blades, now that right there is scary.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Here's what I think is funny. This is so similar to how the Shopsmith table saw "function" is set up. But just try and get away with dissing the SS and an army of SS owners will flock to the boards to defend it. But here, somehow, not a peep! Personally, I can't see how this setup is any more or less dangerous than the SS. (I used to own an SS so I know what I'm saying here...)
    I made the origional post AND a Shopsmith user for over 20 years. I can't even believe you see how this is just as dangerous as a Shopsmith. Your kidding right?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

6. Looks 100 times safer then this guys set up. This has been posted on this site in the past -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k

7. Quote Originally Posted by John Twesten IV View Post
    Looks 100 times safer then this guys set up. This has been posted on this site in the past -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiJGmwyYK8k
    Eeek!

*runs away*

Very similar to the tablesaw my grandfather made

Except his was open on the sides, because the saw blade ran on an arbor between centers. The top adjusted on a hinge for blade depth, and his rip fence and miter gauge both registered against the left side of the box.

Less of an issue with below-the-belt concerns, but it was a kickback waiting to happen.

Still, he did kitchen remodels and made furniture with that as his only tablesaw for years.

The lathe was homebuilt, too - all wood except for the two spindles (head and tail), some used automotive bearings, a piece of pipe and pipe flange to hold the metal toolrest, and a couple of miscellaneous bits of metal. Very good lathe.

Blog Entries
    I am all about safety and these images make my blood pressure go up. I found a black and decker workbench in my father-in-law's garage that was designed to have a circular saw mounted under the bench to make a table saw. And this work bench was from the 80s. I bet there are some creekers that remember these work benches.

10. My BIL has one of those Black and Decker benches with the circular saw mounted upside down. SCARY,SCARY thing. I won't use it.

"Your kidding right?"

Well, no, not really....

"Shopsmith has a blade guard, a purpose-made arbor, and a tilting/raising table."

None of which make it any safer (except the blade guard, assuming that it is actually used!) A "purpose made" arbor? Its just an arbor held on to the main shaft via a set screw. That doesn't worry you at all? Having the table go up and down makes it safer how? I'm not trying to say that the lathe setup is safe. Just that it is very similar in many ways to the SS. You what I wonder most? How the guy plunged the blade through the top?!?! Now that's a scary thought!
    David DeCristoforo

I'll lay 10 to 1 that that thing is owned by a Rabbi.

It's very safe. I retro-fitted Sawstop parts to it in case a hotdog hits the blade.
    LOL ! Yup, there's nothing worse than ripping some stock with one hand while eating your lunch with the other, and losing the hotdog to your TS.

After seeing the TS - I would like to see the Band Saw
    This Pic was a joke Right ???

Tom

liable to lose the wrong hot dog to that saw....