Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reason for blade gaurds on circ saws

The reason for blade gaurds on circ saws

FOr those of you who still pin up your gaurds, here is a story that will make you think next time you use your saw.
    I was helping another contractor with a roof issue and he was trying to "cut in" the valley with the sheet tacked at the top with 2 sinkers. He was standing on the sheet, trying to hold it up off the deck with one hand and cutting with the other. He had a new Matsushita framing blade and the gaurd pined up. He had me worried so I got below him in case the sheet came loose. It did. The sheet came sliding off the roof whit him on it and he had a death grip on the saw which was still full throttle. I reached out to grab him and as I did he spun around and burried the saw in my hand. Took three surgeries but they saved my thumb which doesnt bend or have any feeling, but its there.
    No I didnt sue, but I dont speak to him any more either.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick Lucrezi; 12-31-2008 at 8:07 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the post. I'm sorry about your accident.
    One of mine was a chop saw tendon cut accident so my finger wouldn't go up. Surgery and it works now. One of my guys had taped up the guard the day before and I didn't notice. Again thanks these posts are usually in my mind when I'm working these days. Especially around the table saw and routers
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

Oh man when did this happen? Sorry to hear about your injury, makes me hurt just looking at it, cant imagine. I had one of my guys tie the guard on my chopsaw up out of his way so he could make a bunch of repetitive cuts. As soon as I saw it I made him stop what he was doing and he started arguing with me, telling me I was being a nervous nelly and all that. I said he could tie it back up and be unemployed or he could put it back and keep his job. He kept his job and his fingers!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Rick,
    This had to happen today huh?

Man that sucks!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Man, I am sorry to hear about that.

Really hits on one of my biggest peeves in the trades, "cowboy carpenters". Been around enough and luckily I was old enough and had enough experience in good shops that I knew bad practices when I saw them out in the field.

There is some saying about there are old carpenters and bold carpenters but no old and bold carpenters.

It sucks to be in a position where you have to make a decision and decide to refuse to do as told. The economy was much better when I had to deal with the issue so it was easier to tell someone no, since there was plenty of other work to be found.

To be fair, the vast majority of carpenters I've been around wouldn't push someone to do something they weren't comfortable with. And the best (of course) did things fast, safe, and tight. Those were the ones to pay attention to.

I hope you are able to use the hand OK after you are healed.

Good luck.

I should of said, this happened in August of 07. Was a bad year. In my next class about what not to do, I will tell you all what happened in March of 07. Complete with more wonderfull pics. New years resolution was no injuries for 08. Unfortunately made 2 more trips to the ER in 08 as well. I am not making any resolutions this year needless to say.
    Last edited by Rick Lucrezi; 01-01-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Oouh sorry to see that happen.

When I was in high school my dad got me started in construction. Guys could never just set down their saws - always had to drop them. Then the blade guard would get bent so they would remove them. Dad did that, too, but luckily he never got caught. It really bothered the heck out of me - I'd NEVER do that.

Years later the wife and I were at a friends house and the guy had a question for me. He was an EMT for the fire department. He said that since I had once worked in construction, maybe I knew the answer. He wanted to know why they kept getting calls for carpenters with bad gashes across their upper legs. Apparently old habits - bad habits - still linger on.

In the past I've certainly used table saws and jointers without guards, but a circular saw with the guard secured in the up position? No effing way. I've never even seen that done on any job I've been on; gives me chills thinking about how many ways that could go wrong.

I've seen it done numerous times when they have a board to notch out.

Sorry to hear about your injury.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    In the past I've certainly used table saws and jointers without guards, but a circular saw with the guard secured in the up position? No effing way. I've never even seen that done on any job I've been on; gives me chills thinking about how many ways that could go wrong.
    Lots of folks use table saws without gaurds - but jointers? No effing way.

Thank your lucky stars he didn't take your entire hand or arm off, or worse your torso...

Take care Rick, this will be a better year for you! Sorry to see such a bad accident happen to anyone, I'm sure it was tough for you to post such a picture.

Happy New Year! Peace, Love, and a great 2009!
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Lots of folks use table saws without gaurds.

One nice missle like kickback will cure that as well.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

A circular saw, much like a table saw, is a Whirling Blade of Death (TM). It's a motor with a blade attached. Despite all the bells and whistles, that's all it is. And yet, so many people don't associate the danger with the fact that a sharp blade is whirling and thousands of RPMs just inches away from various body parts.

When I first got out of the Navy, I worked in home construction. I got the job through my Mom, who knew the contractor's mother who also did the books for the contractor. He took me on right out of the Navy. Man...I'd have been better off with unemployment. I learned quite a few unsafe habits from these guys and didn't even realize it was unsafe. They would wedge the blade guard out of the way. It looked unsafe to me, but I just thought it was an occupational hazard

I'm glad I got a better job offer soon and could move on. I still have all my body parts thankfully!
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!