Thread: Exchanging Very Special American Flags

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exchanging Very Special American Flags

Let me explain.

A month ago we received a package from the Soldiers of Task Force Thor, 201st Brigade Support Battalion, 3D BCT, 1st Infantry Division. The package contained a framed certificate that identified the full sized American Flag that was included as having been flown over FOB Fenty, Jalalabad, Afghanistan on the second day of November 2008.

There was also a very nice letter from the Commanding Officer thanking us for sending Freedom Pens to our Service Members and explaining how much our gifts meant to those who received them.

I must admit that I was touched by the fact that these people who are in a combat zone with very serious issues that they must deal with every minute of every day would even consider sending us such a gift. Consider that very few Americans receive an American Flag that was flown in a combat zone, the gift starts to take on new meaning.

I just had to respond.

I had an idea that the only gift that would be suitable would be one of equal value. I visited the National Park Service Office at Yorktown Battlefield and explained the situation and asked if they would fly an American Flag over the Battlefields for the Soldiers of Task Force Thor. This would be a gift they would never expect to receive, but one that they would cherish considering its significance to any soldier who has ever served, the site where American independence was won.

On December 22nd, 2008 our 5 by 9.5 foot National Ensign was flown over the historic Yorktown Battlefield, raised in honor of those who are serving Task Force Thor and all those who have served the American people and our way of life. Our flag was delivered to me with a letter documenting the date and certifying our Flag.

As soon as I can finish building a very special flag box suitable for such a flag it will be mailed and delivered to a group of very special American Patriots who continue to sacrifice on our behalf and who have made us proud. Pictures of both flags will be provided very soon.

Thanks to the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service at Yorktown Battlefield Virginia for making this very special gift possible.
    Thanks to every Freedom pen turner, those who provide supplies and have supported us financially so we could deliver over 90,000 Freedom pens to some very special people.
    Thanks to every American Veteran for your service and sacrifice defending our way of life, you know the true meaning of the word Honor and what this flag really represents.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-01-2009 at 9:36 AM.