Thread: Bench Dog Cast Iron Extension on PM66

Bench Dog Cast Iron Extension on PM66

I have read the thread on right-tilt v. left-tilt. It is my guess at this point, that since the motor cover is in the back, the only concern is the tilt mechanism handle. Visually it appears that it should work.

My question regards the fact that the PM table depth is 28 while the BD extension is only 27. It seems as though hole alignment may be an issue along with the difference in dimension.

Has anyone actually installed the BD extension who can share observations, or better yet, some pics?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Bob

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bob, if it’s any help, I have one mounted on my Unisaw. The center to center hole dimension on the Benchdog and the Unisaw is 10” for the three holes. If the PM is the same 10” then the BD should bolt right up. As you note, the BD is 27” wide, so it’ll be a half inch shorter on each end.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bob,
    I have not tried the bench dog but there is a SMC affiliate called Quality Grinding that will do these thing custom and ship. Might be worth a look at least.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ality+grinding

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ality+grinding
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Smile Suggestion . . .

You could use a piece of 1" X 1" 11 gauge square tube to fill the "gap". Slightly slot holes vertically so you can adjust. I would epoxy to Bench Dog with clamps. This will make installation easy . . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

I am sure the BDs are really very good but they do cast a lot.

I have a Jet saw and I bought it with the steel extensions. I am going to just buy another table saw with the cast extensions on it. I missed one about 2 months ago, it was a Craftsman with cast extensions. The saw was in really bad shape and needed a motor, it sold for $50.

The extensions may need to be drilled for the money its hard to beat.

Yep, it's 27" front-to-back. I put one on my RIDGID contractor saw.

The bolt holes were "almost" perfect. I think I did have to enlarge one or two to bolt the fence rails on. The instruction manual said not to bother with bolting the fence, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bob hart View Post
    I have read the thread on right-tilt v. left-tilt. It is my guess at this point, that since the motor cover is in the back, the only concern is the tilt mechanism handle. Visually it appears that it should work.

My question regards the fact that the PM table depth is 28 while the BD extension is only 27. It seems as though hole alignment may be an issue along with the difference in dimension.

Has anyone actually installed the BD extension who can share observations, or better yet, some pics?

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bob hart View Post

Bob
    quality grinding will make you a right extension that fits for the same price, within a few dollars. no reason to buy one that doesn't.

see their forum for pics, i have one of theirs on mine. if you want the BD lift they'll cut the insert opening to fit (or any other lift for that matter).

Thanks,

I think I will talk with my friend who does metal work...if he can't do it, I may contact them.

Can't beat a good fit!!!

Happy New Year,

Bob Hart

p.s. I will report if he is able to make it. If anyone else is interested, it may bring our cost down.
    Last edited by bob hart; 01-02-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: added postscript

Bob, making a cast iron/steel top like this is somewhat specialized work which is why it's nice that Chris is providing the service (and supporting the 'Creek) for very competitive prices. So if your friend isn't equipped with the right mix of equipment and so forth to do it, don't hesitate to contact Chris.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...