Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision Leveling?

Precision Leveling?

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    So you know, we're talking precision leveling here, not torpedo leveling.
    My PM3520B is on the way and I would like to understand what James meant by "precision leveling" so I can do this when mine arrives.

I thought that a 4' level would do the job. Do I need something else or was he just saying not to use a torpedo level?

Thanks!
    <DT class=quote>Brad K.</DT>

<DT class=quote>Old Higbee Mill

<DT class=quote>____________________________
    If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything!
    Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

If you can borrow one, I would use a calibrated machinist's level if you really wanted it precise.

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=1846

Brad,
    Don't over think this. That vibration issue is not common. Just level the thing with what you have and see how it runs. I would almost bet my entire kingdom that your standard 4 ft level will more than suffice.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Your level will work fine. I used a 4' on mine and it is fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Brad - I have to agree with Dewey on this - don't worry about it to much. I used a 2' level to do mine and it worked great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Get Lyle Jamieson's DVD

Brad,

Congrats on the new lathe. I'm sure you'll love it.

If you can, get a copy of Lyle Jamieson's DVD: Bowl Basics the Easy Way. Lyle shot the video using a Powermatic 3520B. He spends some time on the DVD tuning up the lathe. He shows how to level the PM3520B, and, IIRC, he never used a level to do it. It'd be worth the cost of the DVD just for that portion of the video.

Here's a link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...l_basics?Args=

Brad, I used my 4 foot level when I set up my PM. Didn't take very long at all. When I was done, it passed the nickle test when starting and stopping the lathe with a 40-50 lb odd shaped chunk of wood attached to the headstock. I have an old house, and my basement floor is far from level.

You'll do fine with your level.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

You Can Never Have Enough Turning DVDs!

Thanks guys - you're always so ready to help out. That's what attracted me to the Creek a few years ago.

I have a 4' level and will give that a try but you can never had enough DVDs for those times when you can't hit the shop!

I just picked up Grumbines "Turned Bowls Made Easy" and Malcolm's 2 vol set on segmented turning. These guys make it look easy!

Now I just have to get this thing set up and start making shavings. My move from pens and little-bitty spinning things is about to come true.

Thanks again.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

If you don't have your 220 run yet, get at it. And buy your 220 plug for the lathe as it comes with a cord but no plug. When the lathe arrives and you get it leveled you don't want to have to run to the store before you can turn that baby on!
    God is great and life is good!

I did not use the cheap leveling legs

Brad, When I set up my 3520b I made two spanners for each end of the lathe out of white oak and lag bolted them to the lathe legs. Then got it in place and had to put one small shim to get it perfect. The ways are pretty beefy so they will level up very nicely. I will take a picture tomorrow and show you what I did. It also puts it at the perfect height for me!

You will love the mustard monster!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Here is what I did

Brad, I ran out to the shop in the snowstorm to take the pictures of my solution. May not be for everyone but worked great for me!

Get ready to be amazed with your new lathe!

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Brad,
    Before all this leveling activity, you might want to check the spindle elevation compared to your height. You probably already know the "rule of elbow". But if not, the starting point is that the spindle elevation should be the same as your elbow when bent at 90 degrees. Some folks like it as much as 2" higher or lower. After laboriously tapping the crud out of the threads and installing the screw-in feet I had to jack up the lathe and remove them, as I am only 5'8" (or maybe a little less these days) and it was too tall to suit. Just a thought. Was fortunate that my concrete contractors did a good job (at least in that area of the slab) and the lathe is dead level in both directions. Not true in other areas of the shop. Good luck and (again) happy new lathe. It's gonna be fun.
    Richard in Wimberley

Lathe Height

Jeff - that's over and above just to help out a fellow Creeker - thanks!

And yes, I'm not normal sized in height or weight. I'm 6'6" tall and tip the scales at about 300# (ok, 305 ).

When I was at Woodcraft yesterday I stood in front of their lathe and I was planing to raise it up by about 3"-4" to suit my frame. I'm going home for my parents 50th anniversary next week and plan to hunt thru my fathers steel for some risers. We will probably weld something up with adjustable feet or at least some sort of shock absorbtion like heavy rubber.

We used to have some rail from the railroad (very heavy) but not sure that it's still there.

I hope that the lathe is waiting on me when I return.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

</DT>

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Brad,

Congrats on the new lathe. I'm sure you'll love it.

If you can, get a copy of Lyle Jamieson's DVD: Bowl Basics the Easy Way. Lyle shot the video using a Powermatic 3520B. He spends some time on the DVD tuning up the lathe. He shows how to level the PM3520B, and, IIRC, he never used a level to do it. It'd be worth the cost of the DVD just for that portion of the video.

Here's a link: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...l_basics?Args=
    I am also waiting delivery of a new 3520b lathe, scheduled for Jan. 6th. As such your pointer to Lyle's DVD is of great interest. For what ever its worth I checked Smartflix and they have it available for rent at $17.00.

Brad, body types differ, but I'm 6'7", and this is the stand I built for my 3520b. I've been working on a cabinet for tools etc today. I raised the spindle height 9".

Finally got it dirty
    Where did I put that tape measure...