View Poll Results: Which one if you can choose only one ?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Woodworker

6 1.94%
  • Fine Woodworking

152 49.19%
  • Popular Woodworking

54 17.48%
  • Woodsmith

39 12.62%
  • Woodworkers Journal

7 2.27%
  • Woodworking

22 7.12%
  • Other - Please specify

29 9.39%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Woodworking Magazine ?

Best Woodworking Magazine ?

Please consider, if you had to choose only one magazine, which would it be. If you choose "other", please specify which one. I have tried some of those listed, and frankly, became either bored or disinterested in them.

Hi,
    Other -- Wood Mag

shopnotes

Shopnotes for me.

Wood magazine for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch View Post
    I have tried some of those listed, and frankly, became either bored or disinterested in them.
    I agree. I used to think that I was just getting too busy to enjoy FWW anymore, but a look back at old issues makes me think, just like everything else, it's being dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. I will not renew, but people keep giving it as a gift.

6. I've been getting FWW and FHB for a long time. FHB has always been geared more to pros but FWW always had a more varied readership. I dropped my subscription for about a year but just started it again, I missed reading articles by Steve Latta, Gary Rowgowski, John White, etc. I still think they offer something other magazines don't.

I think it was just the economics of the marketplace that forced them to shoot for a wider audience. Many publications are in big trouble. One of my long time favorites has been PC Magazine, they just published their last issue. I saw that magazine go from one geared to computer nerds, to a more general audience of pc enthusiasts, to finally the point where half the articles were reveiws of consumer products. They couldn't exist appealing to a small group computer geeks.

I've always thought that FWW was overpriced, it's 8 or 9 dollars on the newstand now. And as much as the subsciption is, I think that subscribers should have greater access to the website.

me too

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Trotter View Post
    Wood magazine for me
    Me too I like wood magazine more so than the others. It may be to artsy for some but I like it
    William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

Other- Shopnotes.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by William OConnell View Post
    Me too I like wood magazine more so than the others. It may be to artsy for some but I like it
    The thing I don't like about Wood mag (which subsequently is what many like about it) is that it seems to be geared towards the beginner woodworker, whose only tools are a circular saw or table saw, and a hand drill. A little too basic for me. I want to see things that will show me different techniques that I may not already know, as well as some really amazing designs that I might be able to incorporate parts of into my own designs.

I like Popular Woodworking. I enjoy the focus on hand tools.

Fine woodworking, as I have said in another post, has got my last dime. Start a subscription and sent me 3 old issues in two day and never did get the next issue. I did receive the latests issue but now I am at the end of my Subscription and I just got started.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

+1 for Shop Notes
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I've only received two issues but I like Wood magazine.

Steve

Skip the printed version

I skip the printed version and, instead, subscribe solely to the FWW website.

All the content of the printed version, and then some. Plus an searchable index of however many years of content (I recently pulled up a James Krenov article from 1979). Accessible from anywhere. Print, and reprint. Save PDFs. Etc. A great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kerley View Post
    The thing I don't like about Wood mag (which subsequently is what many like about it) is that it seems to be geared towards the beginner woodworker, whose only tools are a circular saw or table saw, and a hand drill. A little too basic for me. I want to see things that will show me different techniques that I may not already know, as well as some really amazing designs that I might be able to incorporate parts of into my own designs.
    Other-WOOD I think alot of their projects are more complicated then people give them credit. Clifford

Thank you all for your inputs so far. Interesting that the poll results show Popular Woodworking & Fine Woodworking to be the overwhelming leaders, yet for me, those were the two I least enjoyed. The next one I was going to try, was American Woodworker, but it hasn't got a vote yet

P.S. I have now discovered that American Woodworker and Wood Magazine do not do overseas subscriptions. (Shop Notes was one of the first I sampled and quickly dropped.) Seems like I will have to content myself with reading the newspapers.
    Last edited by Ken Milhinch; 01-02-2009 at 1:15 AM.