View Poll Results: Which one if you can choose only one ?

Voters
309. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Woodworker

6 1.94%
  • Fine Woodworking

152 49.19%
  • Popular Woodworking

54 17.48%
  • Woodsmith

39 12.62%
  • Woodworkers Journal

7 2.27%
  • Woodworking

22 7.12%
  • Other - Please specify

29 9.39%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Woodworking Magazine ?

Ken,
    This is all about taste but I find 2 things odd:

1) American woodworker got no votes

2) You didn't include Wood which might be among the most popular.

I subscribe to all of the above plus a few that are not on the list and I like them all otherwise I wouldn't subscribe.

There are quite a few threads on this same subject some which even have polls.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-02-2009 at 2:34 AM.
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Dewey,
    I didn't include Wood because I didn't know of its existence. That having been said, magazines listed under "other" have only received 7 votes. I did try a search to find previous polls of this type, but came up empty. Sorry if I am going over old ground. My question is quite specific though. If you had to choose only one, which one would it be.

Ken,
    I didn't mean it that way. I am not accusing you of covering old ground. I like your thread. It is sometimes hard to tell over a computer what folks really mean when they write.

I failed to write it but my pic would be FWW if I could only have one.

Here are some of the threads I remember reading:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=magazine

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...king+magazines

I can't remember (or could not find) the one with the poll. They are very interesting to read.
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 01-02-2009 at 4:21 AM.
    Dewey

Dewey,
    That's ok, no offence taken (or intended). Thanks for the links to previous threads. Seems like Shopnotes and Woodsmith were very popular in those threads, but I've tried them both and frankly found them pretty ordinary, particularly Shopnotes. Perhaps I am just hard to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Milhinch View Post
    Dewey,
    ... Perhaps I am just hard to please.
    Hey Ken,
    A few questions if I may...

Are the Australian woodworking tools and work methods normally in Metric?

Do you ever find it challenging to read plans in English measurements?

Did that influence your decisions about any of the magazines?

You should check out Wood Magazine off a newsstand if you can find it. I would easily put it in the top 3.
    Dewey

Thumbs up WoodSmith and WoodWorkers Journal

I like WoodSmith and WoodWorkers Journal. Both seem to cover quite a lot of my interests without the exotic flair...

Better Homes and Gardens Wood Magazine

One more vote for Wood magazine and I subscribe to all on the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Hey Ken,
    A few questions if I may...

Are the Australian woodworking tools and work methods normally in Metric?

Do you ever find it challenging to read plans in English measurements?

Did that influence your decisions about any of the magazines?

You should check out Wood Magazine off a newsstand if you can find it. I would easily put it in the top 3.
    Dewey,

Most tools sold in Australia are metric, but I buy most of mine from USA suppliers, so I work with both metric and imperial.
    I grew up with imperial measurements so I can work in either - sometimes both. (Australia officially switched to metric in 1970)
    So that has nothing to do with my assessments of the magazines.
    It's not available here, but I have asked the publisher about an overseas subscription.

I have to say FWW for me because of the wide scope and quality of the projects. I like Woodworking magazine very much too because of the no-nonsense information and the instructive method used to develop and build useful skills.

Woodshop News

Woodshop News gets my vote in "other". Woodwork is #2. I received FWW(and FHB) for the first 15 years. Enough is enough! I now read it at the public library a couple of times a year.
    TB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I agree. I used to think that I was just getting too busy to enjoy FWW anymore, but a look back at old issues makes me think, just like everything else, it's being dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. I will not renew, but people keep giving it as a gift.
    I agree about the dumbing down. I dropped my subscription when they did a box article by some Judy somebody or other and it was so basic that it was obvious that it was only to appeal to women woodworkers. I wrote a letter to the editor that they should start another magazine that is called "Truely Fine Woodworking" for those of us that have been at it for more than six months. They didn't print it.

I pull out some of the black and white editions, and there were some projects and articles back in those days that are still a challange to me today.

I haven't subscribed for many years, and I have not seen a magazine since that is not just a source of ads. I dropped Fine Homebuilding when it became a how to for homeowners, and featured how to articles for framing technics that are the reasons that houses built today are by and large a bunch of horse manure.

Wood magazine remains my favorite...though I've lost a lot of interest in their website.

Woodwork gets my vote followed by FWW, and then Wood.

Woodwork magazine was recently sold. I hope they maintain.

I usually go to the book store up the street and look through several. I walk away with one or two.

AZCRAIG

Blog Entries
    Is it possible to live with only one? I guess so. I subscribe to and rate in this order FWW, Wood, Woodsmith, Shopnotes, Woodworkers Journal.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I agree about the dumbing down. I dropped my subscription when they did a box article by some Judy somebody or other and it was so basic that it was obvious that it was only to appeal to women woodworkers. I wrote a letter to the editor that they should start another magazine that is called "Truely Fine Woodworking" for those of us that have been at it for more than six months. They didn't print it.

I pull out some of the black and white editions, and there were some projects and articles back in those days that are still a challange to me today.

I haven't subscribed for many years, and I have not seen a magazine since that is not just a source of ads. I dropped Fine Homebuilding when it became a how to for homeowners, and featured how to articles for framing technics that are the reasons that houses built today are by and large a bunch of horse manure.
    I know the story you are talking about, and I couldn't agree more! They do have some good stuff every now and then though. Steve Latta is generally great, really like the stringing story, as is most of the Master Class stuff. Wait, Steve Latta was telling us how to use a dado set in the last issue if my memory serves me...