Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accepting Credit Cards with your business

I sent you a PM with info that should help.
    VLS 4.60 50 watt w/rotary, Corel X3/X4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 7, Windows XP SP3 upgraded from Windows Vista.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE !!"

Wireless Eftpos

Not sure about in America but down here in Australia It costs me $25.00 a month with a once off $110 install fee for a mobile Eftpos machine which Ican take anywhere with me works via the cell phone network whereever cell phones work this Eftpos machine works.. I can proccess Credit cards or ATM cards via this on the road or leave it plugged in at home and type in ppls credit card numbers for mail orders.

Trevor Watson
    Xenetech 1325XLT 40w with Rotary attatchment, Corel X3, Photograv3.0, XGW 6.45

I use Authorize.Net as my gateway and e-online for my merchant account. Setup is pretty straightforward and like said earlier it comes out to $35 or so a month. I just chalk it up to a couple extra sales each year.

It's all deductable anyhow.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

The one nice thing about paypal and virtual terminal is you can turn it on and off on a monthly basis, we normally accept credit cards from November thru January for the Christmas orders then turn it off for the rest of the year. If you got a really big credit card order you could pad the bill a little bit and turn it on for that month.

Yeah... but once you're burnt a few times by PayPal... you'll embrace a "real" merchant account. I've had ZERO charge backs through authorize.net, and lost scads through paypal and ebay.

I swear there are people on eBay only there to scam a nickle.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Blog Entries
    Authorize.net is my gateway, as well, and I can second (third?) Mike and Scott's $25-$35/month fees. I set up my e-cart to use a module for automatic verification, charging, etc., but if you only plan on using it for direct entry orders over the phone, you can use their free virtual terminal... all you need is an internet connection. If you choose to actually swipe cards, expect to spend a couple hundred $s for the equipment.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I give my customers a .pdf order form and a toll free fax number, that way I have a signed P.O. for all orders.. I accept Visa ONLY. Mastercard was just too expensive, and for the small percentage that use it, it was not worth the time or effort.. I also get telephone authorizations for each transaction, and my cost is a minimum $16.00 charge, + .15 per transaction and I pay under 3%. In 20 years, I have only had one charge back, and that customer had made a error. He apologized, and sent me written permission to recharge his card for the total amount, plus all my costs, both interest, and charge back fee.. I don't sell generic retail products, everything is custom/personalized, and proof approved before it goes into production. So, it would be hard for a customer to say he or she did not order it. If they say they did not receive it, then it's a problem for the shipping company or post office. But, neither of those things has ever happened... My credit card service is through the T.D. (Toronto Dominon)Bank In Canada..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 01-04-2009 at 10:26 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

this is who I use

This is the company I deal with for credit card sales. They supply all of the equipment free of charge. They have great rates and great tech support. I recommend them highly.
    http://www.crescentprocessing.com/home.php
    30 Watt Laser Pro Spirit

Life is too short to drink BAD BEER!

ProPay

Let me second those with positive history using ProPay. As a secondary we also have a PayPal account. Fees on both are quite reasonable for small volume work.
    Teryl Bishop
    Epilog Mini, Corel X3, HP Laptop and a Yellow Lab
    Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, ' What A Ride !!'

I've setup a few web based businesses using Paypal to handle credit cards. I'm sure they have some small fee per transaction, but you don't have to deal with all the nuts and bolts...

I had tried unsuccessfully to use PayPal with my website's shopping cart (CubeCart). I never got PayPal to work consistently. However this is just part of the issue. Keeping both the website & shopping cart in-sync and current was too time consuming.
    As it turns out 90% of my web customers emailed me rather then try using the on-line shopping cart. I then do my online billing with a PayPal invoice which only requires the customer's email address. As my business increases, I may in the future work with an automated payment system again. For now those monthly fees just aren't worth it. So tonight will be the death of my website's shopping cart.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I wrote the webstore and used paypal's developers information and testing system to test it and get it working and once it was working never had a problem. The bounce back and forth with PayPal was a little awkward as i recall, but it worked pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hood View Post
    Yeah... but once you're burnt a few times by PayPal... you'll embrace a "real" merchant account. I've had ZERO charge backs through authorize.net, and lost scads through paypal and ebay.

I swear there are people on eBay only there to scam a nickle.

Paypal is great for paying for stuff, but their so called 'insurance protection' is worth diddly squat. They are not interested in giving you back the money they promise to protect. They hold onto your money for way too long to be reasonable, just see what they are like if they refund your money, five days later to get it!! They take it out immediately of course.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Paypal is great for paying for stuff, but their so called 'insurance protection' is worth diddly squat. They are not interested in giving you back the money they promise to protect. They hold onto your money for way too long to be reasonable, just see what they are like if they refund your money, five days later to get it!! They take it out immediately of course.
    I agree. PayPal protects the buyer more than the seller. If the buyer makes a complaint that PayPal considers justified (whether true or not), PayPal will hold the funds for 30 days. They then leave it up to the 2 parties to resolve the issue. If it is not resolved, the funds go back to the buyer. PayPal tells you that it is under investigation but they just sit and wait. My girlfriend found this out after many phone calls. She was told it "off the record".

Because of this, I try to keep PayPal sales to items under $500.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.